Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 04:54 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,230,788 times

Advertisements

alrighty, I still wouldn't want someone to sneak up on me in the dark! sorry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 04:57 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You would be better served by a motion detector controlling your ...
Once, while living in a city, we setup lawn sprinklers on a motion sensor.

That worked pretty good.

Of course we live rural now, so we have no need for such a city-folk thing.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
alrighty, I still wouldn't want someone to sneak up on me in the dark! sorry!

We never appeared to have that problem. Remember, when your eyes have adjusted, you can see well enough (and hear well enough) to tell if someone is trying to sneak up on you (and how many times have you had that happen, by the way?)

Old 08-16-2009, 05:08 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
Quote:
We see a lot of hype on TV about all the devices we have that are 'vampires' consuming power. All the little power transformers to charge our phones, the cable box, the DVD player, etc., etc., etc.

Ok they are consuming power, small amounts, and in every household it surely adds up.

Why do I never see anything about the huge amounts of power consumed by unnecessary outside lighting? Why do people feel the need to create a pool of light pollution in the middle of a quiet dark neighborhood? Another observation is the people that do this are almost always from the north. If you drove down my street at 2 AM and noted all the houses with outside lights, vs. houses in the dark, the lighted are from NY or NJ primarily.

It is lovely here, very few street lights, and while you can't see the milky way anymore due to light pollution, you can see lots of stars. Now a couple from NY bought next door, and they have at least 1000 watts of outdoor lighting on 24/7 as the don't even turn them off during the day. No timers, no motion detectors, just always on.

When will the 'that ain't green' crowd broach the topic of outside lighting, or is this just a taboo topic as too many people are scared of the dark? In 24 hours they consume more power than my vampires do in a year.
Probably because I don't want people to die because its too dark for people to drive safely...

Old 08-16-2009, 05:12 PM

18,353 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
oh and anti-streetlight folks who think we should be using lanterns and flashlights in the city .... what about those of us who don't depend on cars and don't have a cute little driveway to park them in? are we supposed to supply our own lighting as pedestrians while also watching our backs?
Works for me in the woods in the dark and on streets with poor lighting here. And the woods, while hiking and checking a trapline in the dark, is considerably more dangerous than a stroll down a town street. Rocks, stream crossings, dropoffs on ledges, etc. And yes I have carried one of my gas lanterns in the city more than once (how about that, 90 year old lantern took care of a problem, no need for wasteful streetlights lighting empty streets or roads or trails all night) though I typically use my large maglite in town. If the pwoer goes out while on a walk I still have light too (that has happened to me BTW).

Old 08-16-2009, 06:14 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,428,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Works for me in the woods in the dark and on streets with poor lighting here. And the woods, while hiking and checking a trapline in the dark, is considerably more dangerous than a stroll down a town street. Rocks, stream crossings, dropoffs on ledges, etc. And yes I have carried one of my gas lanterns in the city more than once (how about that, 90 year old lantern took care of a problem, no need for wasteful streetlights lighting empty streets or roads or trails all night) though I typically use my large maglite in town. If the pwoer goes out while on a walk I still have light too (that has happened to me BTW).
Needless to say we don't have any street lights on our road. What is so gorgeous are the Northern Lights in the winter with the sky pulsating the beautiful colors as well as the starry nights where the stars look so bright and close against the black sky.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 08-16-2009 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-16-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Probably because I don't want people to die because its too dark for people to drive safely...
???

"Too dark for people to drive safely" ???

Um, here in Maine we have laws that require cars to have things called "headlights".

Each vehicle has these things on them, so each vehicle can shine light in front of it. Therefore it is NEVER too dark to drive.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:38 PM

18,353 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
???

"Too dark for people to drive safely" ???

Um, here in Maine we have laws that require cars to have things called "headlights".

Each vehicle has these things on them, so each vehicle can shine light in front of it. Therefore it is NEVER too dark to drive.

Wow! So that's what makes it possible to drive rural roads without streetlights, without killing people!

Old 08-16-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Wow! So that's what makes it possible to drive rural roads without streetlights, without killing people!
Yes that is it.

In rural America we require that cars have headlights. So car crivers can safely see where they are going.

Then we shoot anyone who tries to raise taxes so they can afford to power streetlights.

Maybe the cities of our great nation could learn from the country folk.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:17 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,540,611 times
Quote:

True, the demand is lower at night, thus power companies don't need to figure nighttime lighting into their calculations for 'peak' demand periods. But to say that 1,000 watts of lighting on a single house is not waste, can't be done, it is a waste.
Overnight power is all base-load. Has to be left running, anyway.

In many places Night-Time-Electricity sells for cheaper than it costs to make.

If they get to Time Of Use metering in your area, you will likely see what I am talking about. About like cell phones where the night hours are free.

But I suppose leaving the light on burns the bulb out faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living