U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 AM
 
8,648 posts, read 15,271,469 times
Reputation: 4567

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, I could if I wanted to, town is close enough and one of the horses is trained to drive (if I had a buggy, that is), but, no, we have a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel and a Camry.
I was just going by your name here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2009, 08:41 AM
 
Location: southern california
55,572 posts, read 74,459,549 times
Reputation: 48014
massive energy comsumption is cultural in america. its everywhere even my church.
french concepts of conservation are alien and unacceptable to americans.
the good life was not just a temp period we passed thru, for young people its a permanent life style and reality --for them supersizing is normal-- hummer driving is normal-- lighting up the sky all night is normal-- all public places heated and cooled 24/7. they always use 2 cyles to wash their car at the self care wash.
how could there be anyway else. after 1965 the silver spoon people. to them frugality is old & weird. when people begin to pay for stuff instead of sign for stuff that will change.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-17-2009 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 08:42 AM
 
Location: The Woods
16,936 posts, read 22,223,319 times
Reputation: 9026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Dark has a sound????? LOL
Yes, nature. You'll experience more wildlife around you in the dark if you're quiet and listen a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
887 posts, read 2,665,112 times
Reputation: 535
I agree that public government should cut back on lighting to save energy and taxpayer money. I would prefer tha private enterprise would do the same, but that is their choice.

Lighting in our neighborhoods in my area are a mixed bag. Some subdivisions are very dark, some not. I live on a street where all the homes have large lots so it takes some work to check out my neighbors.

I have 3 bulbs on each side of the entrance gate of my driveway. These are on when the security system is on. I have these so I can see if anyone approaches. I have a very small light just above the garage. The brightest light I have is on the patio and it shines outside. No one can see it because there is no one living back there. I have motion lights on the house itself.

I estimate the my 8 lights burn identical to 8-9 lamps..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,391 posts, read 37,728,735 times
Reputation: 22529
How are they oriented? Is the light shielded from going up and thus contributing to light pollution? (While I generally don't advocate using wikipedia as a primary resource, this article has a lot of information and LOTS of links and cites on what the problem is, what the cause is, what can be reasonably done to ameliorate it, those kinds of things.)

Have you considered using motion detector lighting for security since you say you have them on so you can see if anyone approaches? (You'd be more likely to notice if someone was approaching with those, because the lights would come on and give you a heads up.)

There's ways to have the security lighting that some feel a need for while not contributing unnecessarily to light pollution, ways that are, when you get right down to it, MORE effective for security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,648 posts, read 49,325,799 times
Reputation: 19064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Street lights in neighborhoods do make for safer driving .... and if you don't think so .... go drive down a dark country road without street lights, then go to a neighborhood with then and you will see the difference .... And yes I have done several times ..... I have a small place in the country ...
I disagree.

I live in a rural area. We have no street lighting.

Excess lighting is a waste of effort, money and energy.

When driving at night you 'need' lighting in front of you, and in my case, my vehicles each provide their own lighting. So I see no 'need' for any further artificial lighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 04:26 PM
 
3,628 posts, read 9,201,409 times
Reputation: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So, let's see, how many things that might happen, however unlikely, should we be on constant vigilance against and organize the living of our lives around?

Doesn't sound like much of a life to me, living in fear that way. Heck, I've lived in some pretty rough areas in my time, but I didn't organize my life around fear. Imagine all the things that one misses (beautiful night skies, for example, just as one) when one lives that way. Sad, really.

I don't have a small place in the country, I LIVE in the country and drive down dark country roads on a regular basis. And I've lived in the city and driven down city and neighborhood streets (and still do, as we still own the place in the city). Actually, at night, I find it easier driving in the country because there's not so many oncoming vehicles with their blinding headlights to contend with.

I don't live in fear, but the idea of not having streetlights in a dense city neighborhood is ridiculous to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Kent County, DE
693 posts, read 2,613,435 times
Reputation: 437
We have streetlights in our entire community and they are a nuisance. Kids are still breaking into cars at night because, they can see better and they know that the residents need to close their blinds in order to sleep at night. Motions sensors are a better deterrent and save much more energy. No question.. The only place I see streetlights to be beneficial are possibly at the corners where two streets meet. I really miss the view of the stars we had before the streetlights went on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,648 posts, read 49,325,799 times
Reputation: 19064
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I don't live in fear, but the idea of not having streetlights in a dense city neighborhood is ridiculous to me.
I do not intend to sound mean here, nor to insult you.

I do agree that crime is generally much higher in dense-populated areas. Folks who live there feel they must do something to combat that crime. So they demand increased LEO presence, and lighting. As an answer to their 'fears'.

I do not believe that adding street lights has any effect on crime, but it does have an effect on how the population feels about crime.

It certainly has no effect on driving safety, such is just silly.

However much of the mood of a city's population is made of that population's perception of their crime. Not whether their crime is higher or lower, but on how they perceive their crime. How badly they fear it, and in those cases street lights do effect the general amount of public fear.

I have lived in urban areas, and I have lived in rural. I have seen many variations.

From my observations is it about fear.

I currently live in a rural area, and I have no fear of crime here. I also see no need for street lights, no motion-detector lights, no parking lot lights, no porch lights. We do not need them.

However I have been places where such did seem to be needed.

The difference is 'fear'.

Do all of those lights really effect crime? No.

I have worked Law Enforcement; drug dealers will still be dealing their drugs, car thieves will still be swiping cars, rapists will still be raping their victims, stupid punks will still be robbing stores with pistols. No amount of lighting will stop crime.

But lighting can give you a sense of safety, so you can leave your home, and get on with life. Lighting can relieve your fears to some degree.

This thread is in fact about fear.

And how to give a sense of security to folks who live in fear.

Not everyone chose to live in high crime areas, so those folks so no need for lighting. They see it as a pollution source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 06:59 PM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,910,065 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Probably because I don't want people to die because its too dark for people to drive safely...
The lights I am complaining about are on houses, shining on yards and driveways, not the street.

And the put these amazing things on cars, and they have for a very long time. If your car does not automatically turn them for you, there is a switch within easy reach of the driver that turns them on.

I drive totally dark roads and streets every time I go out after dark, and guess what, safely because I can see due to the amazing things that the manufacturer put on the front of the vehicle. In fact it is a law that they must be there, and they must work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:25 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top