Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your preference
Paperless 22 29.33%
Traditional 26 34.67%
Middle of the Road / Transitioning 27 36.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:54 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times

Advertisements

Are you becoming part of this Paperless society or still prefer the traditional way of getting things done.

Myself have come to fully embrace living in a Paperless society......

Part of my routine now:

- Use my Debit Card/On Line bill pay to pay all bills threw a my last box of checks away and haven't written a check in 3 years even for my rent.

- Carries no more then 50$ in my wallet

- Enrolled in Direct Deposit of course, and employer now keeps all paystubs on line.

- Receives all bills and statements via email and online, not one paperbill comes in the mail.

- Files my taxes electronically

- Reads the paper online now, rather then a subscription

- Pays for bus and subway fare using MetroCard (NYC forces you to but still a very paperless process)...

So are you Paperless or Traditional
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 12:32 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,045,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Are you becoming part of this Paperless society or still prefer the traditional way of getting things done.

Myself have come to fully embrace living in a Paperless society......

Part of my routine now:

- Use my Debit Card/On Line bill pay to pay all bills threw a my last box of checks away and haven't written a check in 3 years even for my rent.

- Carries no more then 50$ in my wallet

- Enrolled in Direct Deposit of course, and employer now keeps all paystubs on line.

- Receives all bills and statements via email and online, not one paperbill comes in the mail.

- Files my taxes electronically

- Reads the paper online now, rather then a subscription

- Pays for bus and subway fare using MetroCard (NYC forces you to but still a very paperless process)...

So are you Paperless or Traditional
Pretty much same here except for MetroCard since I live in Panama LOL. Things I want saved/need a copy of, I save to PDF in the appropriate folder, i.e., client folder, brokerage folder, etc. - when clients come in and ask us if we have a copy of 'all of our listings' to give them, I say no - would kill too many trees to print off all of our listings, most of which they wouldn't be interested in; I do though have to print off a copy for listing books. When I have to print things off like contracts, I do - but I only print things that absolutely have to be - otherwise, save to PDF and store in my computer 'just in case'. Also recycle.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:40 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Transitional, moving toward paperless. I still have some hang-ups to overcome though. I've done pay at the pump for eons, but i'm still reluctant to tie a credit card to a keychain fob(i.e.:Speedpass).

Old 08-16-2009, 04:49 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
The convenience, costs, accuracy, reliability is why I am almost 100% paperless as far as my financial papers. Most bills come via email, 99.9% of bills are paid electronically. BillPay through my credit union is so easy, convenient, reliable, that the thought of checks/stamps/envelopes seems so stone-age after years of not dealing with the hassle.

Still get the newspaper, as our local birdcage liner only puts the first few paragraphs of articles online. And I enjoy working the crossword and sudoku puzzles in the paper with my morning coffee.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:41 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
I use email quite a bit rather than writing letters to people I know but otherwise I'm a paper person. I don't use credit cards. I prefer paper records of every financial transaction too. There's very good reasons for that. I've known too many people who've lost very important stuff when their computer crashed. Too many people who've had their accounts hacked into online too.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:52 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times
I guess I'm middle of the road, and that reluctantly, as I prefer traditional. But, it seems as though the world wants to push you into things, whether you want to, or not. Try using a check at the grocery store, and see how impatient both the cashiers, and folks in line behind you can get, as though by taking a few moments to write a check, somehow you are going to keep them from something so almighty important. The world moves too fast for my taste, sometimes.

I do use my debit card at the stores, for the above reason, (and I didn't even start doing that until just a few years ago), but, I pay my bills with checks. I still prefer to receive my bills in the mail, not online. I'd be constantly forgetting to pay my bills on time, if I used the computer. I have a letter/bill holder on my fridge, where I keep my bills, for just that reason. But, I am tempted to start using my checks at the stores again, if for no other reason than to aggravate those folks who think that their time is more important than mine.

I did file my taxes electronically for the first time this year, but, it made me a bit twitchy to do so. I haven't decided if I will do it again, though I didn't actually have any problems with it.

I do send emails, but, I also send letters and cards, as well. It's still nice to receive such things in the mail. It kind of seems impersonal to use email so much.

I still prefer to read a real paper, though I also read it online, occasionally. I also prefer real magazines, rather than the online versions. Besides which, it seems that most papers and magazines are not complete, with the online versions. You get more with the real deal.

I've noticed that some folks have taken to using some odd device to read books, as well, (they sell it on Amazon, though I can't remember the name of the contraption). Like my papers, and magazines, I prefer real books. I find it much more satisfying to turn my pages as I read, as opposed to hitting a button.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:29 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
I am middle of the road regarding this. I still get all my bills via traditional mail, but I often pay them online. The reason I still get them in the mail is so I have options. Computers don't always work properly, and the last thing I want is to not be able to pay a bill because my internet service isn't functioning properly (which happens annoyingly often). And with my water and electric bills, I simply drop them off at the respective departments. No stamps needed, and I usually ride my bike there. I really don't have too many bills, so it's not even that much paper anyway.

I use my debit card for any purchase that's not minor, and sometimes even then. But I also use cash for lots of little things (like lunch on the weekend). I read the paper at work, and I read plain old paper-paged books. Preferably hardback. In fact, I love books and between my brother and I we probably have several trees' worth. Of course, I also love old books, so many of my books are antique or at least used. I don't think I'd care to read books electronically.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:34 PM

65 posts, read 251,312 times
I am transitioning. from Electronic to Paper. The U.S Postal service needs mail to deliver besides there is too many times that I just plain forgot to pay the e-bills.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:03 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ichela View Post
I am transitioning. from Electronic to Paper. The U.S Postal service needs mail to deliver besides there is too many times that I just plain forgot to pay the e-bills.
There is software to help you with that, every billpay service I use (2) has a reminder service to remind you when bills are due. Quicken gives me reminders everytime I turn the computer on.

When a bill comes, almost all electronic, I can schedule the payment through billpay so it will be paid when I choose.

Paperbills, I have had a few that just never came, but I knew they were due because my software reminded me. Billpay pays almost exclusively by electronic transfer, no lost or delayed in the mail. And if there is a problem, the bank deals with the issue, as they guarantee that if you schedule a payment to arrive before the due date, they guarantee it will, or will work diligently to make it right.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:50 PM

218 posts, read 755,628 times
write checks to charities and thats about it although not so many this year everything else is online, Still get Sunday newspaper tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living