U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 03:28 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,716,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
My point was that (forget the size of the lot) higher density housing isn't a s green because for every house built resources are used to
1. manufacture and ship the materials for building
2. for heating and cooling
I'm not sure I understand your methodology.

So the other three families.....*poof* disappear off the face of the planet? Well that would certainly be green, but perhaps not so humane.

The "greenest" option would be to build all four houses (4K sq ft) hooked together (shared walls=more efficient) divided into 4 equal living units of 1K each. Co-Housing if you will.

I've encountered a few families who have done this recently, with good sucess. It takes a huge amount of planning and cooperation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 04:31 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,097,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I'm not sure I understand your methodology.

So the other three families.....*poof* disappear off the face of the planet? Well that would certainly be green, but perhaps not so humane.

The "greenest" option would be to build all four houses (4K sq ft) hooked together (shared walls=more efficient) divided into 4 equal living units of 1K each. Co-Housing if you will.

I've encountered a few families who have done this recently, with good sucess. It takes a huge amount of planning and cooperation.
Yes we have homes like that in the UK-we call them terraced homes.
Only the most exp homes are what you would call single family-we call them detatched. One of the reasons we are moving to the US is b/o the extra space available-sick of living on top of everyone.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:45 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,716,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Yes we have homes like that in the UK-we call them terraced homes.
Only the most exp homes are what you would call single family-we call them detatched. One of the reasons we are moving to the US is b/o the extra space available-sick of living on top of everyone.
That's a completely different topic.....but totally understandable!

Good luck with the move.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:14 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,356,302 times
I don't understand why high density housing can be seen not to be environmentally friendly, or, alternatively, how can low density be seen as being environmentally friendly? (unless being used for something truly productive, or enabling off the grid living, etc.). Like someone said, there are a lot of variables at work here, but in general high density means people sprawl across less space, and when done right, can share more amenities, be more likely to be able to use public transportation or to walk to the store, etc.

High density housing (whether attached, detached, apartments, duplexes, etc.) isn't for everyone, and aren't always the "best" environmental solution, but in general yes, I would say that four houses on an acre (which is still really spread out by many standards) is going to be more enviromentally friendly than just one or two on that same lot, but that depends on a lot of other factors. Given that four homes per acre is not exactly "high density" it still probably means that those families are going to be doing a lot of driving, etc., and might not fully engage the environmental benefits that come from true high density living. On the other hand, if they can share some resources and do something productive with the space they could still live pretty environmentally-friendly lives, and very likely more "green" than one house per one acre.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:51 PM

25,107 posts, read 35,111,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
High density housing (whether attached, detached, apartments, duplexes, etc.) isn't for everyone, and aren't always the "best" environmental solution, but in general yes, I would say that four houses on an acre (which is still really spread out by many standards) is going to be more enviromentally friendly than just one or two on that same lot, but that depends on a lot of other factors. Given that four homes per acre is not exactly "high density" it still probably means that those families are going to be doing a lot of driving, etc., and might not fully engage the environmental benefits that come from true high density living. On the other hand, if they can share some resources and do something productive with the space they could still live pretty environmentally-friendly lives, and very likely more "green" than one house per one acre.
Frankly, IMO, one home per 2 1/2 acres is much better. I have 10 acres and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living