Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 04:45 PM

50 posts, read 226,498 times

Advertisements

Architect is all over advanced framing...2 x 6s, 24" on center. Saves a bunch of lumber and seems logical to me. Contractor says that 24" should really be used with 5/8" drywall rather than the standard 1/2", thus reducing your savings in framing costs. Opinions and personal experiences? Is the 5/8" drywall that big a deal? Plans are already drawn with 24"oc. How much more will the thicker drywall run for a 2683 sq ft house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 06:40 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
The Contractor is right, 1/2" is real flimsy at 24", it will not be flat. Who wants wavy walls? 2x6 walls should be on the exterior for better insulation, 2x4's for interior walls. I would still go with 16" on center for all walls. Go 24' for floor and ceiling joists.

Is your architect a structural engineer? You have to get this approved by planning in getting your building permit.

Personally I would go with two layers of 1/2" to have quieter rooms.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:18 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
The Contractor is right, 1/2" is real flimsy at 24", it will not be flat. Who wants wavy walls? 2x6 walls should be on the exterior for better insulation, 2x4's for interior walls. I would still go with 16" on center for all walls. Go 24' for floor and ceiling joists.

Is your architect a structural engineer? You have to get this approved by planning in getting your building permit.

floor joists should really be at 16" centers, or with the larger spans you will have a very bouncy floor, or you will need more beam to support the span.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:19 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
Quote:

There are still places in America that you do not even need a structural engineers stamp to build a home.

In colorado for example. For Residential you do not need an Architectural stamp for anything under 4 units. Although everything requires a structural engineer stamp.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:47 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Even Design Homes (A prefab company in the Midwest) uses 2x6 16 on center...My brother got one. It's like a brick S#$thouse.....
Specifications
WALLS:
Full 8' Ceiling Height
Double Top Plate Exterior and Interior Walls
2 x 4 SPF Interior Stud Grade Studs--16" on-center
2 x 6 Exterior Walls--16" on-center
3/8" APA Rated Sheathing
1" Polystyrene
INSULATION: SEE FACT SHEET (below)
Exterior Walls: 1/2" Textured Gypsum Board (screws)
Interior Walls: 1/2" Textured Gypsum board (nails)
(Interior Walls not Painted)
Maintenance Free Vinyl Siding Standard

Old 09-15-2009, 08:44 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
Quote:

Yes, 2 layers of 1/2 " gyp is a very good wall. 5/8" gives you a heck of a wall also. Nice and solid.

However, I have been researching an alternative interior wall covering. I want to eliminate baseboards. I have refinished and/or painted so many over the years. I saw a home with interior walls of raw plywood. The patterns are pretty interesting. But, you do need to be careful of all your joints, etc.

I am also in favor of the 2X6 walls as you can insulate the heck out of it! I like icynene insulation. It is agreat air barrier and green approved! Also, toying around with metal studs.

So many systems and so little time??

Old 09-17-2009, 04:11 PM

50 posts, read 226,498 times
Very interesting feedback ... Thanks to all. I'm leaning toward the 5/8", and think that will be quiet enough - it's just me and the husband and 4 cats. Definitely going with icynene ... that stuff ROCKS!
I don't want baseboards either - or crown molding - is that a problem with drywall?
is the consensus that 24" oc is workable with heavier drywall? Any other caveats? Contractor is finalizing estimate this week.
TIA

Old 09-17-2009, 07:12 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatti View Post
Very interesting feedback ... Thanks to all. I'm leaning toward the 5/8", and think that will be quiet enough - it's just me and the husband and 4 cats. Definitely going with icynene ... that stuff ROCKS!
I don't want baseboards either - or crown molding - is that a problem with drywall?
is the consensus that 24" oc is workable with heavier drywall? Any other caveats? Contractor is finalizing estimate this week.
TIA
Crown moulding is not required but since the gyp bd stops 1/2" or so above the subfloor you will need to "mind the gap"! I am researching different ways to detail that condition.
Studs at 24 inches o.c. is not as healthy as 16 inches but it can be done with the thicker wall covering.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:28 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I get a chuckle out of "advanced framing." We used to call that shed framing, because it was cheaper and faster to build sheds 24" OC. The comment about floors is right about "bounce" and wavy floors. I've seen deck specs that called for 2 x 8s 12" OC.

Although I'm well aware of the insulation loss with 16" OC, and the increase in material cost, I'm no longer a fan of such construction. Lumber is not perfect. I like strong walls. A house like that would be more likely to fail in a small tornado than the new manufactured homes.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:32 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Yes, 2 layers of 1/2 " gyp is a very good wall. 5/8" gives you a heck of a wall also. Nice and solid.

However, I have been researching an alternative interior wall covering. I want to eliminate baseboards. I have refinished and/or painted so many over the years. I saw a home with interior walls of raw plywood. The patterns are pretty interesting. But, you do need to be careful of all your joints, etc.

I am also in favor of the 2X6 walls as you can insulate the heck out of it! I like icynene insulation. It is agreat air barrier and green approved! Also, toying around with metal studs.

So many systems and so little time??
A friend of mine did all of his baseboards with cedar 1X6 and all of his door/window casing with cedar 1X4. Simple, pretty cheap and he has never painted or stained any of it. I think it looks great and gives the house a very masculine attitude. You could probably oil it for a little more finished look.

With 24" OC framing, surely some extensive blocking would be required between the studs. I don't see why that couldn't be used to hang/back 1/2" sheetrock...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living