U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:19 PM

30,638 posts, read 49,293,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_key View Post
i don't think i ever mentioned going without electricity or a fridge or a washer.

i haven't figured out the graywater solution, but i plan on using a composting system for blackwater. (see joe jenkins book)
Greywater is safe to be put on the ground.

Many people use composting toilets to avoid having blackwater. Where I am located we MUST have a leechfield and a blackwater system, however once installed we are not required to use it. We can be using composting toilets, and just 'have' the leechfield as if it were a backup.

Quote:
i am guessing that vermont property taxes are much higher than maine, and i suspect they are more dilligent with building codes, but i'm not sure.
That is exactly what I have been told.

Also keep in mind that as property taxes go up, so does all municipal 'services' which includes Code Enforcement Officers, zoning and planning engineers.

On the other side as you go rural and lower taxes, you just do not have so many inspectors.

[quote] ...
it depends how rural you want to go. for me i have no need to be close to a fancy town, so the initial land purchase will be on the cheap. as posted by someone else, cash is king. some owners will finance, at a higher rate than a regular house mortgage. i wont even bother trying to get bank financing -- KISS philosophy, keep it simple stupid.

re: buying a junker house on land, that is a very good idea, and one that i am still considering. having the well, electricity, foundation, etc all in place is a huge plus.
{/quote]

I agree.

Quote:
rural maine land is about the cheapest in the country.
This is what we have observed.

Quote:
i am also considering going off grid and using a generator for the minimal electricity i will be using.
We have neighbors who are off-grid and comfortable with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 AM

10,860 posts, read 10,529,930 times
Quote:
rural maine land is about the cheapest in the country.
You're right. Northern Maine is a best buy in the US by a long shot. There are, of course, 'wasteland' areas for cheaper in the western US desert regions, but then there's the water problem.

I've been watching northern Maine land prices for a couple years. For what you get, it's pretty incredible, really. In my area, land like that sells huge bucks--I regularly see good chunks of acreage in Maine for twenty or thirty thousand that would go for hundreds of thousands here.

Another area for good prices if you search a bit is UP Michigan. You may also check North Dakota, if you're up for the winters! I just bought a little chunk of land in ND for very cheap (assuming everything works out well with the title).

Old 06-16-2010, 12:39 PM

I made multiple trips meeting with realtors each time; each trip I spent a week driving around the state looking at properties for sale. I finally began calling some of the 'For Sale By Owner' signs which is how I met the man I bought land from. He is a forester who buys tracts of forest land from logging companies [he then clear-cuts them]. Most of his properties were in Northern Maine, though a few of them were in Central Maine. The last time I spoke with him he still had four pages of properties for sale.

Mind you these are not homes and they are not urban; these are tracts of forested land, and they may include lakes, rivers or bogs.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:50 AM

20 posts, read 78,386 times
Default mosquitoes

i have at one point or another travelled through 45 states. i have an idea of what is out there, but not the very particulars of each parcel. there is no way i would live in open desert, even though the price is right. the dakotas and michigan are both very beautiful.

we had some heavy rains here the past week and now the mosquitoes are out in full force in the am and evening. this is putting a huge damper on my plans as i don't want to wind up in a heavy mosquito area. i know that the being in elevations tends to minimize the mosquitoes as does being near the coast, and more northern climates. but alaska has plenty of mosquitoes so i'm not sure that going further north is a solution.

i'm considering both now, and obviously you get a lot less land for the dollar as you approach the coast, but maybe this will be worth it to avoid being eaten alive.

idaho is also a very beautiful state. 30 years ago land was cheap there, but not so anymore.

chris-- if you already own the land, what is stopping you from settling down?

how is the mosquito situation in your forest-- i assume you live in a forest, forest

Old 06-17-2010, 09:03 AM

10,860 posts, read 10,529,930 times
Quote:
idaho is also a very beautiful state. 30 years ago land was cheap there, but not so anymore.
Yes, Idaho, Colorado, Utah, and parts of Montana have all contracted "Californiaitis" (ridiculously high land prices).

Quote:
chris-- if you already own the land, what is stopping you from settling down?
Just barely bought it. It's small, but it's a start. I'm still not 100% sure that North Dakota will be my permanent "landing place" (Alaska, North Dakota, UP Michigan, and Northern Maine have been my target possibilities for a long time), but I figure if I don't end up staying there... land doesn't usually lose value. Next step is to get to work on my 'tiny house.'

Old 10-06-2010, 04:50 AM

20 posts, read 78,386 times
Default universal building code

i read that maine has now adopted universal state-wide building codes.

will this be an impedance to those of us who wish to do our own thing, build ourselves without inspectors hassling us?

or does it vary from town to town, where some lots have no zoning ordinances.

a big part of choosing maine for me was the large amounts of unzoned property available.

i am now considering also going off grid and just starting up initially with solar.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
i read that maine has now adopted universal state-wide building codes.

will this be ...
No crystal ball here

Code Enforcement Officers have always had some 'code' they thought they were enforcing.

It is largely up to the municipality where you are building. A small town may have appointed a CEO who had been in construction for 40 years but is now too old for that kind of work. So while he may know a lot about construction, he might also not be knowledgeable of new codes.

LURC for example is spread out over a large area [52% of Maine] with limited CEOs.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
... we had some heavy rains here the past week and now the mosquitoes are out in full force in the am and evening. this is putting a huge damper on my plans as i don't want to wind up in a heavy mosquito area. i know that the being in elevations tends to minimize the mosquitoes as does being near the coast, and more northern climates. but alaska has plenty of mosquitoes so i'm not sure that going further north is a solution.
North does not solve skeeters.

Quote:
... i'm considering both now, and obviously you get a lot less land for the dollar as you approach the coast, but maybe this will be worth it to avoid being eaten alive.
I do not know that being near coastline solves skeeters either.

Quote:
... how is the mosquito situation in your forest-- i assume you live in a forest, forest
Seasonal.

Some of our land is swampy, some is not; standing water encourages skeeters.

Some years are wetter than others. This summer was not very wet at all, and we had very few skeeters.

We have river frontage, the best time to be on the water is when the sun is directly overhead. When the shadows are long the skeeters tend to come out more. But then as you leave the water, you generally also leave the skeeters.

We have seen two years where everything was wet most of the summer, and the skeeters were thick. Otherwise the other years they only came out during the last 2 hours of daylight. This past year we had very few skeeters anywhere.

One year we had thick black fly, for a couple weeks, then they left. Otherwise the blackfly have mostly left us alone.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:11 PM

220 posts, read 386,520 times
I bought my slice of heaven close to the area where I've worked and lived. The presence of many Amish families in the area has given me hope that the building codes are flexible enough to do the things I have in mind.

Off-grid hybrid power
Composting toilets and grey water irrigation
Passive solar, in floor radiant heat
Earth sheltered home

Once you decide where you want to bloom, the planting process should be much easier.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:06 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,613,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
North does not solve skeeters.

I do not know that being near coastline solves skeeters either.
Nope - North and coast most definitely is not a guarantee against Mosquito and Black Fly. The mosies and biters are downright horrible in Barrow AK in the summer... can't get too much farther north or coastal than that

All north really seems to do is make the skeeter season shorter by making the winter season longer It does, however, seem to a significant reductive effect on 2-legged pests LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or