Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:35 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,204 times

Advertisements

high fructose corn syrups turn off receptors in the brain that tell you that you are full. Thus you keep on eating.....and eating ....and eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
high fructose corn syrups turn off receptors in the brain that tell you that you are full. Thus you keep on eating.....and eating ....and eating.
correction: DEXTROSE turns of receptors in the brain that tell you that you are full and to stop eating. ...........

high frutcose corn syrup is plain ol' sugar. Eating sugar tells your pancrease that you have enough energy and it stops releasing insulin. Hence a crash when the sugar gets quickly burned of being that it is a simple carbohydrate.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Good point, Dennis.

I get a dramatic sugar crash every single time I eat French toast, though I always thought this was from the (real) maple syrup, I dunno.

Anyway, I only eat French toast several times a year, so it's worth it.

Quote:
Are you (not just pinkstring, but everyone who's fuller after eating organic) sure it's not just a mental thing, or did someone actually conduct a double-blind experiment or something?
For me, it's the real deal--but it's not necessarily that I eat something organic, it's just that I eat something that is not made of highly refined, processed ingredients.
I've been eating better for about 10 years now, and while I have not done any double-blind experiments, this is not my imagination.
It's gotten to the point where for breakfast, I actually much *prefer* a bowl of plain yogurt, real fruit, and cereal to cinnamon rolls.
I just feel better and perform better.
Sure I'll do the occasional French toast for brekkie or chocolate cake for dessert. I am not, and never will be, an ascetic.
Too much austere self-denial is boring and pointless.
But for day to day living, nutritious eating simply makes sense and feels good. It's not like I'm suffering! I *enjoy* it.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:55 AM

212 posts, read 858,617 times
Quote:
For me, it's the real deal--but it's not necessarily that I eat something organic, it's just that I eat something that is not made of highly refined, processed ingredients.
That makes sense completely. I was thinking organic apple vs. non-organic apple, to which I don't think impacts your level of "fullness."

Old 05-11-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkbr View Post
That makes sense completely. I was thinking organic apple vs. non-organic apple, to which I don't think impacts your level of "fullness."
High levels of heavy metals found in pesticides can build up in your pancreas as well as other organs and tissue.

You renal function WILL be affected by a buildup and cause cravings of sugars and caffiene to make up for the lack of serotonin being produced.

P.S. They spray apples, tomatoes and strawberries more than any other fruit,

Last edited by dennis s; 05-11-2007 at 12:47 PM..

Old 05-11-2007, 12:42 PM

212 posts, read 858,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
High levels of heavy metals found in pesticides can build up in your pancreas as well ass other organs and tissue.

You renal function WILL be affected by a buildup and cause cravings of sugars and caffiene to make up for the lack of serotonin being produced.

P.S. They spray apples, tomatoes and strawberries more than any other fruit,
Where did you find that info? I've read plenty of studies where there's a difference in nutritional value in certain foods.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkbr View Post
Where did you find that info? I've read plenty of studies where there's a difference in nutritional value in certain foods.
I "found" that info in a text book in school. I don't understand the second statement about nutritional value.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:36 PM

746 posts, read 1,324,016 times
Default mineral content

Norman Walker, Max Gerson, and others have found much higher mineral content in organic vegetables grown from rich soils, vs chemically grown foods devoid of that mineral content.

Chemicals are added to depleted pesticide grown foods to try and made up for the lack.

However, as my endeavor is to continue having an enjoyable healthy life, I choose to eat organically grown wholesome food with no pesticides.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:03 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,450,139 times
Quote:
I agree cil; I think this is the key. Sometimes I don't buy organic foods because the ingredients aren't bad.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:51 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyciol View Post
These are very misleading reasons. For one, do you even know what this junk added to increase appetite actually is or how to detect it? Is it impossible for natural foods to increase appetite? Surely not every man-altered food would increase hunger, not all corporations are jackals.

Organic things are usually more expensive because using chemicals in farming is a less costly way of removing pests or bacteria which are present in mass farming (cheaper per-cow than spacious arming).

In a lot of cases when you buy "recycled" toletries you are mislead. It is actually the cardboard centre that is recycled, and the paper itself is not. You have to be careful as corporations love to throw naturalistic terminology to make sales. This is actually a problem with a lot of 'organic' things. Generally the only way to know if something is organic is to grow it yourself.

Many food companies add MSG to food products because it is addictive.

The chemicals in "traditional" farmer is only part of the reason for the higher price of organic foods. Organic food farmers use crop rotation rotating crops to less profitable ones some years in order to keep the same soil healthy. If you grown corn on the same field for 30 years, the soil is depleted of all its minerals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living