U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 09:28 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,120 posts, read 5,958,353 times

Advertisements

I often hear that people don't eat organic because it's too expensive. I avoided it for the same reason, and I just started buying it again a few months ago. I actually spend less now than I did before! I'll tell you why:

For one thing, when you buy natural foods, they don't have all the added junk that food companies put in your food to make you more hungry; therefore, you eat less and buy less!

Also, you'll likely cut out most sugar/dessert type foods, so you'll save money on that expense alone.

I shop at a farmer's market, and produce is much less expensive. As well is meat and bread.

Even when I add cleansers and paper towels and stuff, I found that recycled cleaning and toiletries are less expensive. Cleaners are less expensive because ingredients such as vinegar or orange are used instead of chemicals.

The thing that gets me is organic milk. My son is one and drinks a gallon a week! Costco does sell it in bulk; I just have to make my way down there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 11:48 AM

9 posts, read 32,898 times
These are very misleading reasons. For one, do you even know what this junk added to increase appetite actually is or how to detect it? Is it impossible for natural foods to increase appetite? Surely not every man-altered food would increase hunger, not all corporations are jackals.

Organic things are usually more expensive because using chemicals in farming is a less costly way of removing pests or bacteria which are present in mass farming (cheaper per-cow than spacious arming).

In a lot of cases when you buy "recycled" toletries you are mislead. It is actually the cardboard centre that is recycled, and the paper itself is not. You have to be careful as corporations love to throw naturalistic terminology to make sales. This is actually a problem with a lot of 'organic' things. Generally the only way to know if something is organic is to grow it yourself.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:34 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,909,074 times
The reason processed food might still leave you hungry is if they are all chemicals but no real nutrition--thus, empty calories.
Organic food is a lot cheaper now than it was 5 years ago, and I agree that farmer's markets are great. Now that we only have one kid in the house, I've been buying Organic Valley milk (and eggs) even though they are more expensive.
I am convinced that it's worth it. And I completely trust Organic Valley.
I agree that some companies slap "Natural" or "Environmental" on the label and we are supposed to think we are getting something healthy even when we might not be. . And "free range" does not necessarily mean that the chickens are out merrily pecking on a lovely grassy plain all day.
OTOH
If you do some research and read the labels it's not that hard to figure out what really is the real deal. It's not that difficult. And like I said, I am convinced that it's worth it.
But when I finally move into my new house, I definitely plan on growing my own tomatoes and herbs.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:47 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,120 posts, read 5,958,353 times
The reasons I listed aren't debatable for my family. As the topic states: this is why it's not more expensive for us. We have noticed that we are much less hungry. We eat less. We buy less. We spend less. I don't know what else to say.

About your organic concerns, I'm sure that there are money hungry companies in the natural food business. I avoid ingredients that cause hunger. I rarely find such foods in a regular supermarket. I do have to avoid some natural foods because they include ingredients I don't eat.

I wasn't arguing the validity of recycled goods; I was commenting on their low cost. Maybe you should start a new thread if you want to discuss this?

Thanks for commenting back. It's always good to get another side to a story.

Quote:
But when I finally move into my new house, I definitely plan on growing my own tomatoes and herbs.
I wish they would grow where I live!

Old 05-07-2007, 12:57 PM

437 posts, read 1,012,109 times
Great topic, Jco, thank you for bringing this up.

You do get more yield with intensive solar gardening than with pesticides, and of course the veggies are healthier.

My favorite veggie is purslane. It started out growing wild in my garden. I looked up to see what it was, then saved the seeds and kept cultivating it in my garden after that. Purslane has been historically prized as a veggie.

You can conserve water, protect the veggies and get higher yields by growing them under cloches or in frames. I have tried various different cloches then got the idea of putting blocks around in a circle and laying a plastic sheet or mesh across the top of them. This is my current project. Also as they're now dumping fluoride in the water, I have to water the entire garden by hand and this method conserves the water that is used. This creates a very warm and moist climate that plants love.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:25 AM

9,949 posts, read 22,172,148 times
I eat primarily organic whole foods and they never make me hungrier like processed foods do to people.
I can eat a couple of oranges for breakfast and don't get hungry until late afternoon most of the time. Then i'll have a light lunch, and eat an apple afterward, and not get hungry until evening for dinner.

When i ate processed foods as a rule with all the additives and the fun things like high fructose corn syrup and other bad additives, i was hungry all the time!
Stay with whole plant based foods and you won't be so hungry.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:13 AM

212 posts, read 780,229 times
how do you know eating an organic fruit or vegetable makes you fuller than a non-organic fruit or vegetable?

Quote:
I can eat a couple of oranges for breakfast and don't get hungry until late afternoon most of the time. Then i'll have a light lunch, and eat an apple afterward, and not get hungry until evening for dinner.

When i ate processed foods as a rule with all the additives and the fun things like high fructose corn syrup and other bad additives, i was hungry all the time!
you have to compare apples to apples. I don't think non-organic fruits and vegetables contain any high fructose corn syrup. If you're saying you're fuller after an apple than after drinking maple syrup or soda, or even eating a "bar" of some sort, that's not a valid comparison.

Are you (not just pinkstring, but everyone who's fuller after eating organic) sure it's not just a mental thing, or did someone actually conduct a double-blind experiment or something?

Old 05-08-2007, 09:18 AM

548 posts, read 2,433,158 times
I eat mainly organic, and it does not make me less hungry. I am thin, have always been, even when not eating organic.

Having said that...I think the additives and preservatives are not good for my body, so I do all I can to avoid them. I eat the same quantity of food now as I always have, so it is more expensive for our family to eat organic. But worth it to me.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:21 AM

548 posts, read 2,433,158 times
Oh, and also I try to eat local food as much as possible. There are many small farms who can't afford to get the "organic" designation but use only organic methods. These foods can be cheaper and fresher than organic shipped across country. Plus, you don't contribute to all the fossil fuel use in getting them across country (or from out of country).

Old 05-09-2007, 04:13 AM

9,949 posts, read 22,172,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkbr View Post
how do you know eating an organic fruit or vegetable makes you fuller than a non-organic fruit or vegetable?
you have to compare apples to apples. I don't think non-organic fruits and vegetables contain any high fructose corn syrup. If you're saying you're fuller after an apple than after drinking maple syrup or soda, or even eating a "bar" of some sort, that's not a valid comparison.
Are you (not just pinkstring, but everyone who's fuller after eating organic) sure it's not just a mental thing, or did someone actually conduct a double-blind experiment or something?
I do eat regular produce as well as organic. Depending on what's available.I was saying that a couple of pieces of fruit fill me up and i dont get hungry til hours later, versus eating processed foods where i was always hungry.

Like yesterday morning,i made fresh apple juice from 4 apples. Now that kept me satisfied until 3pm. Nice thick tasty juice. and they weren't organic. So there goes that theory. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or