U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-05-2009, 02:05 PM

19 posts, read 36,454 times
Default Travel trailer save money? or lose?

Me and my boyfriend are thinking of selling our home in texas so we can live in colorado. We were thinking of living in a travel trailer for awhile so we can save money for a good down payment on a house? Would we be able to save money? We would also have to buy a trailer and we have animals. 3 dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-05-2009, 05:44 PM

187 posts, read 343,606 times
one thing i can tell you..it will smell terrible in the travel trailer with 3 dogs and it is a lot of stress...one of my best friend lives in texas with 3 dogs in a travel trailer...and it is extremly hard..but she does not make it by choice,she has no other choice...

Unread 10-05-2009, 06:31 PM

8,671 posts, read 9,012,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srhfricke View Post
Me and my boyfriend are thinking of selling our home in texas so we can live in colorado. We were thinking of living in a travel trailer for awhile so we can save money for a good down payment on a house? Would we be able to save money? We would also have to buy a trailer and we have animals. 3 dogs.
Have you ever spent time in a travel trailer before? I would do that first before making the decision, along with what to get, how much to pay for it, what your needs are. It will get cold in Colorado, so you need something to get through the winter, where to park, etc. We have 3 cockers and an almost 12 year old with us, and have no problem with dog smell...

Unread 10-05-2009, 07:06 PM

19 posts, read 36,454 times
We were thinking of renting one in Ruidoso,NM since it's so close and in the mountains so we could get the gist of things. Do you think 5 days would be long enough to really test it? We're THINKING of renting some land so we can build a fence for the dogs also. Would it be cheaper than living in a home though?

Unread 10-05-2009, 07:40 PM

8,671 posts, read 9,012,421 times
Five days would be a start and when doing it think about how long you will be living that way...it's okay for some, not so much for others. We are renting in AZ with a fence, so that was good and $400. a month plus utilities. This last few months with electric for the AC is a killer, but now that it's cooled off a bit I shut it off . We just need to plan for that for next year during the winter. We won't have much need for heat here so that is doable. We still have Dish TV, and the internet which I have to have to work, but less than $100/month for both. The propane we use for hot water and cooking so that lasts quite a while. I shut the water heater off when we aren't using it as it heats up quickly. We are not paying property taxes, another house payment as this is paid for, or home owner's insurance on this, so I know we are saving. My worry would be the weather in CO and the heating issue, but then trying to rent something else with the dogs can be a pain...

Unread 10-05-2009, 09:26 PM

769 posts, read 1,264,403 times
Some rv parks also close down in the winter, and with 3 dogs in it you would have a terrible time re-selling it..We were full timers with a cocker for a few years loved it but, happy to be in a house again..go to Co and talk to park owners, find out IF they would take 3 dogs, what propane will cost ect...You have to dump tanks, they can freeze in winter and lots of other in convenient things that you won't even think of in a house..an rv takes as much maintainence as a house...
We have several parks here in salem with people who live there full time and our climate is much milder than colorado but they have rules........its not as cheap as it sounds..
think long and hard before you jump into this..
good luck

Unread 10-05-2009, 09:31 PM

39,570 posts, read 39,195,865 times
Besides which trvel trailer are like boats the values go down very quickly.I also thinik living with three dog in any winter locations in a trailer would be very hard.Heck;living in one with two kids gets pretty crazy after just a short while.

Unread 10-05-2009, 11:43 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,185,853 times
Sometimes it helps to get good information from people who know what it's really like. We have lived in our RV full-time now for 6 years. Granted, we travel with hubbies job, but it is more than do-able. Now, we only have one dog, and I know a few folks who travel with two... but.. once again... it is do-able. I would just recommend a 36 foot or better RV.

The biggest obstacle for the OP is that if they are going to do Colorado winters in an RV, it is a priority that they get a four-season trailer, and that they know the extra's on how to keep from freezing up in the winter. Skirting, space heaters, heat tape and insulation will become your best friend. I've seen many winter in Craig all winter in their fivers. It isn't easy.. but once again. Do-able, if you know what you are doing.

Will you save money? No one can answer that question besides you. It can be economical to live in your RV; and, sometimes... it can be very expensive. RV's have always got to be maintained and fixed or problems will compound regularly. A great resource for everything RV associated is RV.net. Hope that helps a little.

Unread 10-06-2009, 06:27 AM

5,913 posts, read 4,592,316 times
Heating and cooling bills in an RV will be very high.

Unread 10-06-2009, 09:39 AM

10,674 posts, read 22,262,023 times
We lived in one we bought for a few months. It worked because we were on the land that we bought and it was not winter. We bought used, and I've got to clean it up so we can sell it. Something like this only works as a money saver under certain circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living