U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 06:19 PM

737 posts, read 1,475,907 times

Advertisements

Maybe you're already an eco-conscious foil whiz--you always rinse off each used piece of aluminum to ball up and scour your pans, and then you recycle. But now anyone can go the extra distance with Reynolds Wrap Foil from 100% Recycled Aluminum ($3), available nationwide. Once a hard-to-find item sold only at natural foods stores, recycled aluminum foil is created by liquefying used aluminum at high heat so that the metal can be filtered and rerolled into thin, food-safe sheets. Recycled aluminum uses 80 percent less energy to produce than regular foil but is just as strong and versatile--and it doesn't require bauxite mining, which can be harmful to the environment.

Foil: The Cheapest Way to Go Green: Conscious Cook: Blogs & Forums : bonappetit.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 07:46 PM

2,897 posts, read 5,264,169 times
I have to laugh at all the green discussions.

Do you really want to live green? Really? Then live simply, quietly and locally. Conservation offers the first and best strategy of them all, whereas Green strategies are all about trying to minimize the impact of being a consumerist glutton.

Such hypocrisy.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:22 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,111,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post

Do you really want to live green? Really? Then live simply, quietly and locally. Conservation offers the first and best strategy of them all, whereas Green strategies are all about trying to minimize the impact of being a consumerist glutton.

...and pee outdoors any time and anywhere possible!

Old 10-30-2009, 07:02 AM

30,640 posts, read 49,300,145 times
Buy! Buy! Buy!

Consume! Consume! Consume!

You can not consume you way to being 'green'.

Even if this is a recycled product, they had to melt crushed cars and stuff. They had to smelt it, to separate the aluminum. They had to roll it, etc.

Gobs of energy was used to 'recycle' and to make this foil.

It was transported across the world and across the nation to get it into your store; which burned petroleum and shredded rubber tires along the way.

It would be far 'greener' to simply not use aluminum foil.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:59 PM

737 posts, read 1,475,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Buy! Buy! Buy!

Consume! Consume! Consume!

You can not consume you way to being 'green'.

Even if this is a recycled product, they had to melt crushed cars and stuff. They had to smelt it, to separate the aluminum. They had to roll it, etc.

Gobs of energy was used to 'recycle' and to make this foil.

It was transported across the world and across the nation to get it into your store; which burned petroleum and shredded rubber tires along the way.

It would be far 'greener' to simply not use aluminum foil.
Number one I rarely use aluminum foil and two when I have to why not use one that is recycled since so many buy buy buy. Make sense?

Thanksgiving is right around the table and most do use it on this day along with Christmas so why not buy what is best.

Every little bit helps.

Most start out with one then add another then another ect ect ect.
A little green is better then no green.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:16 PM

30,640 posts, read 49,300,145 times
Few things are 'green' if you are buying manufactured stuff.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:29 PM

72 posts, read 209,548 times
A few pointers for helping the ecosystem and your budget...
1. Take only one shower a week
2. Do laundry no more than one load a month. This necessitates wearing your clothes until they are good and dirty.
3. Put your dishes in the fridge after eating instead of washing. The fridge will kill any germs and the remains will mix in well with the next day meal, lessening the need for seasoning. Then wash it maybe once a week
4. Reuse your dental floss
5. Save the plastic bags from grocery stores and use for trash liners
6. Flush the toilet only when necessary.
7. Go to as many communion services per weekend as possible. After a while they add up to a nice meal, meaning you can skip lunch.

BTW, I am available as a dinner guest to your home and love entertaining at mine as well.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:13 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,973,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post

Such hypocrisy.
I think you hit the nail, Sand. If we really want to be green, we have to first kick our addiction to consumption. But that's a sacred cow. It's kind of like devil worship to even talk about consuming less. That would require a whole lot of the "C" word (that being change) in all of our lifestyles. And we wouldn't dare compromise the little bubble of cheap convenience that we were all baptized in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living