U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:25 AM

260 posts, read 501,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Oh, it's entirely possible, and you pulled it off quite nicely in that one sentence.
how so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 10:28 AM

16,936 posts, read 22,220,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
how is being against the brutual slaughter of billions of animals being self righteous?
Do you know how many animals die to produce vegetables, between habitat loss, use of chemicals, killing of pests, etc.?

Old 11-04-2009, 10:32 AM

20,391 posts, read 37,724,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
how so?
Read the sentence you wrote with comprehension. You're making assumptions and broad sweeping statements and patting yourself on the back for doing so, all in one short sentence.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:36 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,118,431 times
A Tale of Two Cows.

1. This cow lives in the wild. Most of her life has been spent foraging for minimal food, often on the brink of starvation. She is exposed daily to the most extreme of elements. Having had 8 calves over her 9 adult years, she has lost all but one of them to disease and predators. She now, older and feeble, is chased down by coyotes, and literally torn alive by the howling pack.

2. This cow lives in a farmer's cattle yard. When it's hot, she finds shade and cool in the loafing shed. When it's cold and snowing, she finds shelter and heat in the barn. She has lived her whole life drinking cold, clean well water and daily eating a mixed diet of grain, silage and mold-free alfalfa hay. All of her calves have survived. Now, at the end of her life, she is transported to a slaughter house where - without her having any clue what's coming - one bullet brings her life to an immediate and painless end. What happens to her carcass is, at that point, of no significance.

Now... Which one of these cows has been abused and/or lived a horrible life?

Old 11-06-2009, 12:10 PM

42,837 posts, read 78,919,079 times
George Carlin - “The Planet is Fine” from his HBO special, Jammin’ in New York (1992)

Moderator cut: Copyright issues

YouTube - George Carlin - Saving the Planet

Last edited by vec101; 11-06-2009 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues - Please read City-Data Terms of Service

Old 11-06-2009, 01:40 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,734,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
Rickers-

Glenn Beck agrees that the single best way to fight global warming is to become a vegetarian:

Of course Gore won't give up eating meat anymore then he'll give up all the homes he owns (one generates $30,000 a year in electricity bills), nor will he give up his private jets or his fancy gas guzzeling cars. He's making a fortune on the global warning bull....can we say lying hypocrite ?

Old 11-07-2009, 01:43 PM

25,972 posts, read 28,388,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
A one inch thick T bone, Mmmmmmmmmmmm !

Belted Galloway, Mmmmmmmmmmmm !
EEEW. I'm not a vegetarian, but that looks gross.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:08 PM

7,970 posts, read 11,625,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Whoo Hoooo, I'm with you. I didn't CLAW my way to the top of the food chain to eat nothing but rabbit food. I'm having a steak as soon as I can find a decent one in our towns one little supermarket.
I recycle, walk or ride bicycle when I can, I use way less energy than everyone around me and feel that I'm doing my part. I am not giving up eating meat and if anyone doesn't like it I'll tell them what they can do with their carrot.
I think you totally missed the point of the reply you were agreeing with

Old 11-07-2009, 03:55 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,118,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
[mod]Deleted post
Moderator cut: Response to deleted post
You obviously don't know jack squat about livestock production.

Last edited by vec101; 11-07-2009 at 06:29 PM..

Old 11-07-2009, 04:48 PM

52 posts, read 125,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
A Tale of Two Cows.

2. This cow lives in a farmer's cattle yard. When it's hot, she finds shade and cool in the loafing shed. When it's cold and snowing, she finds shelter and heat in the barn. She has lived her whole life drinking cold, clean well water and daily eating a mixed diet of grain, silage and mold-free alfalfa hay. All of her calves have survived. Now, at the end of her life, she is transported to a slaughter house where - without her having any clue what's coming - one bullet brings her life to an immediate and painless end. What happens to her carcass is, at that point, of no significance.

Now... Which one of these cows has been abused and/or lived a horrible life?

YouTube - Slaughter caught on camera

Is this the kind of "immediate and painless" end you are talking about ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living