Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 08:10 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times

Advertisements

Perhaps it's because there are posts, as you say, promoting a vegan or vegetarian point of view as the only way to live? Because rather than just eating what they want and "agreeing to disagree", it's considered appropriate by some vegetarians and vegans to try to get/force everyone else to make the same choice?

I've only seen one thread that I can recall that "promoted" eating meat, and it wasn't about how one should only eat meat, but about recipes and ways to eat it and best cuts, etc., as I recall, in the recipes and cooking section. Wait, there was one other, started in response to a virulent vegetarian one, but it was short-lived, because meat eaters really don't care if vegetarians don't decide to eat meat as long as they don't try to get everyone else to do so.

So, it's not the vegetarianism, but the "promoting" that gets things stirred up, I'd think.

For the most part, meat eaters are quite willing to "agree to disagree"; your admonition should, therefore, be addressed to the vegans/vegetarians who start the threads about how terrible eating meat it, don't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 11:11 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Funny thing is, whenever there is any kind of post promoting a vegetarian or vegan point of view, a few anti-veggie zealots (you know who you are) always show up in the thread with their own holier-than-though frenzy hurling abuse - and they can't be dissuaded....even to just agree to disagree.

Anyone out there want to just agree to disagree?
I'll --just agree agree to disagree--but not on issues people use distortions to promote their agenda.

( sort of like Al Gore when he admits to exaggeration in order to get his point across)

Old 11-15-2009, 11:31 AM

Or PETA when Ingrid Newkirk states publicly and for publication that PETA's "recipe" for the information they put out includes only 10% truth. And yet some people continue to swallow it whole, like candy!

Old 11-15-2009, 11:31 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Article sounds like a pro hunting piece.

Heck with the beef, pork and lamb I prefer venison. That would be whitetailed deer as opposed to the farm raised 'venison' served in restaurants. Against the law to sell a game animal like white-tails so the venison served is farm raised.... imports like fallow, red deer or sika, etc.

Doves, rabbit, grouse, squirrel would be a good substitute but you would have to forego paying a hit man do the 'wet work' involved in procuring your cellophane wrapped beef, chicken and veal.

Liberal hunting seasons and prolific wildlife populations allow a greener lifestyle when coupled with a home or community garden.
When I was growing up, you still had actual butchers. They had sides of beef and pig hanging in their coolers. Now, all they do is unload the boxes, prewrapped and vacuum packed for them...the less human hands handle it, the less the change of disease (or so they feel).

Old 11-15-2009, 11:33 AM

You can go to a local slaughter house/meat market and still have that. Got a freezer full raised here on the place, butchered to order including hanging in the cooler.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:26 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Don't have any of those local to me, I'm afraid.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:35 PM

Maybe you could find something somewhere close by using Eat Wild.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:09 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,250 times
Good Gawd. "Meat's not green". I've got news for you freaks, HUMANS aren't green. If you're so all-fired up about the impact we have on this earth, why don't you walk hand in hand off a cliff somewhere?

Old 11-22-2009, 08:34 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
For the most part, meat eaters are quite willing to "agree to disagree"; your admonition should, therefore, be addressed to the vegans/vegetarians who start the threads about how terrible eating meat it, don't you think?
That's absolute nonsense. At least you are consistent in your prejudices. But your sense of who done what is skewed.

Please show me one thread on this board started by a regular poster, the sole purpose of which was to denigrate those who eat meat. I haven't seen one such thread, at least in the food forum.

Those individuals who you think are all about "agreeing to disagree" and who are "quite willing" to do so, have started and contributed to several threads dedicated to ridiculing people who choose not eat meat. These are individuals are mature (in age), and who have posted on this board for years. I guess I'm supposed to judge all meat eaters by their conduct.

Why the heck do people always bring up PETA? I don't understand why people are so obsessed with them. If someone says "I'm a vegetarian", another person will invariably say "oh, I hate PETA!" WTH?

It's like saying, you can't stand meat eaters, because Ted Bundy liked hamburgers, therefore all meat eaters must be like him. Makes about just as much sense.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:41 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I'll --just agree agree to disagree--but not on issues people use distortions to promote their agenda.
So, you are making a stand for truth against those who have an agenda. This is good.

What's the agenda is of cattlemen's associations? To get people to eat meat? Might they distort certain data just a little bit?

I assume they must speak for you on all issues, if you eat meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living