U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:59 AM

16,936 posts, read 22,202,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
quite to the contrary, it is the false belief generated from our ego that humans are seperate from & above other animals and the enviroment that will likely cause the end of human kind on earth.
We are quite significantly more intelligent than animals. But we are part of Nature and the food chain. So your statements that it is cruel to hunt animals, contradict this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 11:01 AM

20,385 posts, read 37,693,239 times
Yes, I know I'm omnivorous (as all humans are designed to be, to one degree or another depending on where on the Bell Curve their particular genetic inheritance inclines them to be physiologically) - I was just using humor and alliteration to make a point.

As for the article, it really pretty much proves my point - you might as well have sent me to an article by Billy Graham purporting to prove that he's not a Christian evangelist or to one written by a creationist trying to prove that anyone who doesn't believe in creationism is deluded. If this is your idea of a balanced, unbiased piece, then we probably don't have much to discuss.

By the way, that article notwithstanding, not all slaughterhouses are created equal. I know, because I've taken an animal to one, a carefully chosen one. Have you?

Old 11-03-2009, 12:27 PM

260 posts, read 501,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes, I know I'm omnivorous (as all humans are designed to be, to one degree or another depending on where on the Bell Curve their particular genetic inheritance inclines them to be physiologically) - I was just using humor and alliteration to make a point.

As for the article, it really pretty much proves my point - you might as well have sent me to an article by Billy Graham purporting to prove that he's not a Christian evangelist or to one written by a creationist trying to prove that anyone who doesn't believe in creationism is deluded. If this is your idea of a balanced, unbiased piece, then we probably don't have much to discuss.

By the way, that article notwithstanding, not all slaughterhouses are created equal. I know, because I've taken an animal to one, a carefully chosen one. Have you?
the whole point of the article is that being vegan is not a religion or a cult and the only things a vegan gets out of being vegan are having a much lower enviromental impact, greater health & lessing the suffering of living, feeling creatures.

as far as the slaughterhouse, i haven't been to one but i know people who have. i also haven't witnessed the Holocust, rape or slavery first hand but i know they are destructive and morally reprehensible.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:41 PM

2,777 posts, read 7,113,789 times
Well, I hope these card-carrying vegans that feel the need to preach and mandate to everyone else go camping in the woods when I do. I figure the bears and othe rlarge carnivores will prefer those grass fed folks over me .

Old 11-03-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
the whole point of the article is that being vegan is not a religion or a cult and the only things a vegan gets out of being vegan are having a much lower enviromental impact, greater health & lessing the suffering of living, feeling creatures.

as far as the slaughterhouse, i haven't been to one but i know people who have. i also haven't witnessed the Holocust, rape or slavery first hand but i know they are destructive and morally reprehensible.
Yes, I get the point of the article, but the article itself is, as I said, very much like Billy Graham saying, "Oh, no, I'm not religious! Where did you get that idea? I'm a philosopher!" Which is to say, the entire article denies what is patently clear within the context of the article itself.

It's also one of the more-biased articles I've read on the topic, which is why I said if you think that's an unbiased article, there's not really anything for us to discuss.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:51 PM

10,851 posts, read 10,526,347 times
Yeah, if your meat is green, I wouldn't eat it either. You might wind up in the hospital having your stomach pumped.

I've got a great idea. You eat what you want to eat. I'll eat what I want to eat. That's called freedom and the country was supposedly founded on that principle... although I'm beginning to wonder these days.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Well, I hope these card-carrying vegans that feel the need to preach and mandate to everyone else go camping in the woods when I do. I figure the bears and othe rlarge carnivores will prefer those grass fed folks over me .
Let's hope so, for crying out loud.

It wouldn't be a big deal if they weren't in our faces constantly. It gets old. If someone doesn't want to eat meat, then don't! I don't care. Just mind your own affairs and we all live happily ever after.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I've got a great idea. You eat what you want to eat. I'll eat what I want to eat. That's called freedom and the country was supposedly founded on that principle... although I'm beginning to wonder these days.
What an amazing concept! Why didn't anyone think of it before? Oh, wait . . . Yeah, someone did, and then they founded a country. Aren't they teaching that history in school any longer?

Old 11-03-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
What an amazing concept! Why didn't anyone think of it before? Oh, wait . . . Yeah, someone did, and then they founded a country. Aren't they teaching that history in school any longer?
I'm thinking it was skipped for twelve years. I sure wish more people understood the concept, though!

Old 11-03-2009, 04:08 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,277,312 times
Quote:
Oddly, they'll still suffer, whether you personally eat them or not. If not you, someone else. If not ANY of us, they'll die of starvation or predation. Or both.

Last edited by TKramar; 11-03-2009 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: needed to add emphasis, and italics didn't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living