Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:47 AM

260 posts, read 548,664 times

Advertisements

Meat's Not Green: This Earth Day, Go Vegetarian to Save the Planet | Britannica Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 06:57 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,010,910 times
I'm really tired of this vegetarian mandate drivel. I would like to see how they propose to feed the population of northern hemisphere tier without a massive carbon footprint of petroleum based freight, pesticides, packaging, and chemicals.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:09 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
If your meat's green, there's something wrong with it--and you probably shouldn't eat it. Not on a boat, not with a goat. I do not like green eggs or ham.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:12 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Well, she lost me with the first mention of the word "PETA". Given that the founder and head of PETA has proudly acknowledged, in print, that truth is a tiny part of their "recipe" for anything they say, with shock value being a whopping 80%, and given my personal experiences trying to get anything out of them other than, "But we say so, that IS our documentation! And how much do you want to donate?", anyone who puts any credence in them has lost credibility with me from the get-go.

What I really, really, REALLY wish is that folks who want to be vegetarian would be so, and that they would have the confidence in their decisions to leave it at that and not have to try to get everyone else to jump on their bandwagon in order to shore up their belief that they're doing the right thing. It's not one whit different than proselytizing for a particular brand of religion, in my book - the impulse in the person doing the proselytizing is the same.

Just think: if we all become vegetarian, we will have to run the wildlife off the arable land so that we can feed everyone. We'll have to deforest more than we already are in order to grow the crops necessary to provide nutrition for everyone (and for a lot of us, myself included, a vegetarian diet, even a carefully balanced one, is NOT healthy, so I guess we'll just be out of luck).

Please. Food should not be political. Food should be nourishing, it should be delightful, it should be one of life's pleasures, not a stick with which to bludgeon people over the head with due to personal control issues.

Is factory farming a blight on the planet? Yes. Does it follow that eating meat is? Nope, it doesn't - there are humane ways to raise animals for meat (heck, mine get back rubs and beer!) and humane ways to slaughter them (if for no other reason than that a frightened animal taints the flavor of the meat, if you didn't care about the animal itself). Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater just because factory farming is a problem.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:25 AM

"If a person can survive and be perfectly healthy in our current age while living on a meat-free diet, then vegetarianism no longer becomes a personal choice – it becomes a matter of human responsibility, for himself and for those inhabiting his planet."

“There is no such thing as a meat-eating environmentalist.” « The Progressive Prophet

Old 11-03-2009, 07:30 AM

628 posts, read 2,069,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I'm really tired of this vegetarian mandate drivel. I would like to see how they propose to feed the population of northern hemisphere tier without a massive carbon footprint of petroleum based freight, pesticides, packaging, and chemicals.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 AM

18,354 posts, read 26,479,237 times
I do believe my wild game is quite "green."

Old 11-03-2009, 08:38 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Again, if we didn't farm them, then their populations would die off fairly quickly, since there's not enough land left for them to graze on naturally. The farmer not only provides food, but shelter and protection from predators.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I do believe my wild game is quite "green."
hunting is a different issue (but no less cruel & unnecessary imo). this article is speaking to the issue of factory farming from which the overwhelming majority of meat comes.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Again, if we didn't farm them, then their populations would die off fairly quickly, since there's not enough land left for them to graze on naturally. The farmer not only provides food, but shelter and protection from predators.
do you really think that farmers are doing animals a favor by raising them for slaughter?

Farm Sanctuary | Watkins Glen, NY (http://www.farmsanctuary.org/issues/factoryfarming/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living