U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:04 AM

30,682 posts, read 49,449,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Moderator cut: No insults
So your saying that after Gore invented the 'Nuclear Winters' of the 70's [which got him into public office]; then he created the internet [only a decade after it was already in use]; then he went on to invent 'Global Warming' and now we find that he built all of this on livestock?

He is my hero.

Last edited by vec101; 11-04-2009 at 07:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 02:41 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,752,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
So your saying that after Gore invented the 'Nuclear Winters' of the 70's [which got him into public office]; then he created the internet [only a decade after it was already in use]; then he went on to invent 'Global Warming' and now we find that he built all of this on livestock?

He is my hero.
LOL....perfect post Forest....... Well, the "man" Gore is just capable of anything and everything!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:09 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,449,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
LOL....perfect post Forest....... Well, the "man" Gore is just capable of anything and everything!
That is why he is my hero!

Any man who can invent nuclear winters and then cure them just by getting elected.

Then go on to create the internet. Do you have any idea how hard it is to create something a decade after it is in common usage? That is hard to do. But he did it!

And now Global Warming. Folks just do not understand what power this man wields.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:51 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,893,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks
Moderator cut: No insults
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

He is my hero.
I must have missed something here. How is it you can comment on a moderator cut for insults

Is it just me

Oh and by the way, in your list of accomplishments of Al Gore, you left out Tobacco Farming . Pharmapseudical tobacco for medicinal purposes only of course.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:53 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,344,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
I must have missed something here. How is it you can comment on a moderator cut for insults

Is it just me
I think the moderator changed the post after it was quoted, and then s/he also changed the quoted part in the post that quoted the changed post. (Nice phrasing, or what?)

Guys, remember that Gore's family when he was growing up raised livestock. And now (ok, they taught us this in school years ago, but anyway) we're being told that the main thing we need worry about when it comes to producing green house gases is those darn cute cows that litter the fields around us.
Mhm, just goes to show how sneaky and smart that guy really is...
Now, I need to get rid of those Bibles so I can start worshipping the man who appearantly is the sole reason behind Global Warming!

On the OP...
This isn't news, nor does it change anything when it comes to what we, humans, need to do about stopping the global warming. When studying environmental politics/science, they taught us about cows and their statistics. (Which, is one of the reasons why a vegetarian lifestyle is better when put into global context)
But, life on earth has been going on for millions or years. And the earth's system has been able to maintain a sustainable level of green house gases (=> global temperature) despite all this methan that animals such as the cow has been letting out. The problem now is that the earth now has to deal with not only e.g. the cows, but also humans. And that is what is the major cause of the problem with global warming... End of story

Old 11-07-2009, 01:20 PM

26,092 posts, read 28,500,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
I personally don't believe global warming is caused by human activity at all. Depite what the UN says, there is not 100% scientific consensus on this. The UN props up scientists that support its point of view.

That said, reducing beef consumption would generally be a good thing anyway. Look at how fat most Americans are and look at what our health care costs are!!! We eat too much beef.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:03 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,170,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I personally don't believe global warming is caused by human activity at all. Depite what the UN says, there is not 100% scientific consensus on this. The UN props up scientists that support its point of view.

That said, reducing beef consumption would generally be a good thing anyway. Look at how fat most Americans are and look at what our health care costs are!!! We eat too much beef.
Actually, we just eat too much. Period.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:36 PM

39,476 posts, read 40,787,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
If you're suggesting we start dictating what people eat that is a pretty dangerous thought. One thing to understand is the people propagating this nonsense don't want you eating any type of meat and getting people to think "well maybe we should regulate the beef people eat because its for their own good" is just the first step in eliminating it and other meats which is the ultimate goal.

That's besides the fact the inevitable way to control peoples habits is through taxes such as the proposed cap and tax bill for energy. I eat beef but I also eat a balanced diet of many other types of foods, I'm almost as happy eating salad as I would be steak. Just because Joe down the street doesn't want to buy vegetables doesn't mean I should suffer for it.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:53 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,568,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
Well no, cows don't cause all smog, but do contribute to smog in some areas (as referenced in the link). That being said, livestock is a greater producer of GHG than all global transportation.
This is true but it does not mean anything. The GHG that are produced by cows, termites and other natural things are already part of the carbon cycle. The problem with fossil fuels is that this is an addition to the carbon cycle. This carbon was taken out of the cycle when the organic material that these fuels are made from was laid down as sediments a long long time ago. That is why things like planting trees and other biomass is a good idea because it ties up the carbon for a long time. You get the difference between the carbon cycle and adding tied up carbon to the cycle?

Old 11-08-2009, 12:36 AM

39,476 posts, read 40,787,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
This is true but it does not mean anything. The GHG that are produced by cows, termites and other natural things are already part of the carbon cycle.
Millions of cows and all the other livestock are not natural..

Having said that, Beef! It's what's for dinner.

YouTube - Where's the Beef
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living