Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 06:11 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Wal-Mart (WMT), the mega-retailer that helped put energy consumption on the agenda for corporate executives, said it will use light emitting diode lights from Cree (CREE) in new stores and retrofitted ones. In the first year, that will come to 650 stores alone.

The stores will replace ceramic metal halide lights, those honkers you see in the ceiling of big box retailers. The Cree bulbs will emit the same amount of light as a 70-watt bulb but use 82 percent less power.

Wal-Mart to Outfit 650 Stores with Cree LEDs in Next Year -- Seeking Alpha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 06:22 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
This should be a good thing.

I look forward to the day when LEDs have gone the route of hand-held calculators, PCs, etc - in other words, enough time has passed to where they're a fraction of the price they now are.

Unfortunately, right now they are cost prohibitive.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:54 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
That's good news, but it's hard to take Walmart seriously as a "green" company in any shape or form when their choice of development -- typically huge sprawling stores surrounded by vast parking lots, designed almost exclusively for people arriving by car -- is the epitome of the massive problems facing Americans as we struggle to figure out how to reorient society to be less environmentally destructive.

I know every bit helps, but I'll be helping to do my part (for the environment and for the benefit of the local economy and community) by not shopping at Walmart, "green" or not.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 11-07-2009 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: typo!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
That's good news, but it's hard to take Walmart seriously as a "green" company in any shape or form when their choice of development -- typically huge sprawling stores surrounded by vast parking lots, designed almost exclusively for people arriving by car -- is the epitome of the massive problems facing Americans as we struggle to figure out how to reorient society to be less environmentally destructive.

I know every bit helps, but I'll be helping to do my part (for the environment and for the benefit of the local economy and community) by not shopping at Walmart, "green" or not.
It's not that I particularly disagree with you - especially the part about not shopping at WalMart. I'm not a fan.

However, I don't think that WalMart is any less environmentally friendly than any other big retailer such as Target, Shopko, KMart, etc. They all play the same game. It's just that, right now, WalMart seems to be a little better at the game.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 11-07-2009 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: oops, didn't mean to check edit, and can't figure out how to delete this edit note...

Old 11-07-2009, 11:38 PM

Good point; it wouldn't do any good to avoid Walmart and then go over to the next big-box store down the road. I think it's great that Walmart has decided that a green image is good for business, and hope that they can figure out a way to make it work. I also hope that they take it seriously and change the way they approach their own development in the future.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Good point; it wouldn't do any good to avoid Walmart and then go over to the next big-box store down the road. I think it's great that Walmart has decided that a green image is good for business, and hope that they can figure out a way to make it work. I also hope that they take it seriously and change the way they approach their own development in the future.
I don't think they're going to. Do you?

Everything WalMart does is about making money - turning a profit. That is, after all, why they exist. Even installing LEDs in stores is about (hopefully) saving money, and (hopefully) appealing to more customers because they're now supposedly "green".

Whatever else they might claim, being environmentally friendly is WAY down the line of priorities for WallyWorld.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:17 PM

289 posts, read 569,982 times
So that's why the lighting looks so different in our store. I noticed the little lights & that they had gotten rid of the large industrial looking lights. But didn't know it was an environment thing they were doing. Our Wal Mart is being remodeled & should finally be done next week.

The thing that sucks is that they don't have nearly the variety that they did before the remodel. Instead of haveing A,B,C,D,E,F,G choices they now have A,B, & Equate or Great Value. And Equate & Great Value most of the time are not as good as the name brand stuff. And the Shoe department, forget about it if your a woman. They have like 1/2 an aisle of Women's shoes & the rest is Mens & some kids.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:38 PM

No, I don't think they are going to change their ways, at least not with really good financial incentive. As far as development of their buildings and locations, there's no financial reason for them to change that right now; they do it cheap and easy. If shoppers rose up in protest maybe it would make a difference, but frankly I don't see that happening, either.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
No, I don't think they are going to change their ways, at least not with really good financial incentive. As far as development of their buildings and locations, there's no financial reason for them to change that right now; they do it cheap and easy. If shoppers rose up in protest maybe it would make a difference, but frankly I don't see that happening, either.
I have a hunch that, within the next 5 years, we're going to see WalMart start diversifying. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them start building and opening all kinds of little neighborhood corner stores. Maybe C-Stores (with gas) and maybe not. But with minimal transportation costs, they could move low-priced merchandise from the big box stores to the little corner stores and sell even more of it.

But that's just a hunch.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:21 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Quote:

And here in America that is your choice. But they do supply needed products for the people they "SERVE". If there wasn't those huge development that the city's are allowing then Wal-Mart and others would not be building huge shopping centers. Fact of life these day's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living