U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:15 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,026,289 times

Advertisements

I can't exactly say I have seen them use pesticides and chemical fertilizers, but I have seen the seeds and some of the packs were hyberdized seeds by the labels on the outside. This was by the mennonites down in lower central kentucky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:17 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,026,289 times
I can't exactly say I have seen them use pesticides and chemical fertilizers, but I have seen the seeds and some of the packs were hyberdized seeds by the labels on the outside. This was by the mennonites down in lower central kentucky.
I do realize why they did this. If anyones framiliar with heirloom seeds they don't grow a perfect produce every time and the "city folks" don't like that. They want their produce to be picture perfect and uniform, even though it is inferior in taste and nutrition value.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,102,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I can't exactly say I have seen them use pesticides and chemical fertilizers, but I have seen the seeds and some of the packs were hyberdized seeds by the labels on the outside. This was by the mennonites down in lower central kentucky
I'm sure you're aware of this, but it's also helpful to note that Amish and Mennonites are NOT the same people, they do NOT live the same way, and they do NOT employ the same agricultural practices.

That equivocation itself makes an article suspect, at best.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 PM

19,255 posts, read 17,399,801 times
I know many farmers use humanure, or human waste sludge on their crops , amish and mennonites included. It doesn't smell as bad as pig manure which can be really nasty when you drive past it. Worse than landfill.
I've seen buzzards sitting in fields that were just treated, thinking probably something nasty had died. Maybe they were eating it, I don't know.
I stopped at an amish farm stand once and saw their dog limping around the yard. Its hind leg was a mass of tumors, so bad it couldn't move it. I'd have had the dog put down or treated it early before it became that bad. The amish don't treat animals as pets as most people do. Animals are food or for work or other( puppy breeding). The same goes for almost any farmer, although pets are an exception. Its just a fact of life on a farm, a necessity. But the amish are tough on animals, especially horses. When you see a horse pulling a buggy on a 90 degree day, you feel bad for it. I saw a horse with the colic thrashing on wet macadam and the owners didn't care at all while bystanders were very upset at its suffering. They have shorter working lives than riding horses and then get auctioned off to slaughter houses. Animals do not have souls in their minds so they don't see them as we often do.
I'm not anti mennonite or amish, I patronize many mennonite owned businesses and the amish and mennonite are extremely hard working and generous people, their religious charities sometimes seem almost too generous ( palestinian relief efforts). I've seen them clean up damage from tornadoes and rebuild homes in communities. But you can't sugarcoat their lifestyle. They're the same as anybody else, they deserve respect and criticism as the situation demands.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:05 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,764,860 times
I have found the only way I can sell around here is to sell to the Mennonites which they turn around and resale.I will assure you I don't Farm Organic.

hillman

Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 AM

5,677 posts, read 6,506,765 times
I'm a Mennonite and I'd like to clarify some of the things said here. There are denominational differences between various Mennonite and Amish groups just as there are throughout Christendom. There are Mennonites who drive around with horses and buggies and Mennonites in the government. There are Mennonite churches where women aren't allowed to be pastors and Mennonite churches that have women pastors.

While all Amish are more conservative than Mennonites, not all Mennonites drive horses and buggies and you could not tell most Mennonites from any non-Mennonite. The more conservative a group is, whether Amish or Old Order Mennonite, the less likely it is that the person will talk to you about religion because in Anabaptist tradition, "a light on a mountain cannot be hidden" and therefore, traditionally, we don't proselytise.

In my Russian Mennonite tradition, farmers farm no differently than any other farmer, including using pesticides. There are also Mennonites, who, just like non-Mennonite farmers, have seen a market for organic produce and decide to farm organically. There are Mennonites who treat their animals badly and Mennonites that don't.

Not all Mennonites disdain higher education, and in fact, my Mennonite husband has a Ph.d and has taught in major universities in N. America and Europe.

So you can't say a Mennonite is this or that because we're a lot more diverse than that. I quite agree with the person/s who posted we're people and as prone to hypocrisy as anyone else.

The common denominator is pacifism, not horses and buggies, or organic farming.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 AM

20,385 posts, read 37,693,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm a Mennonite and I'd like to clarify some of the things said here. There are denominational differences between various Mennonite and Amish groups just as there are throughout Christendom. There are Mennonites who drive around with horses and buggies and Mennonites in the government. There are Mennonite churches where women aren't allowed to be pastors and Mennonite churches that have women pastors.

While all Amish are more conservative than Mennonites, not all Mennonites drive horses and buggies and you could not tell most Mennonites from any non-Mennonite. The more conservative a group is, whether Amish or Old Order Mennonite, the less likely it is that the person will talk to you about religion because in Anabaptist tradition, "a light on a mountain cannot be hidden" and therefore, traditionally, we don't proselytise.

In my Russian Mennonite tradition, farmers farm no differently than any other farmer, including using pesticides. There are also Mennonites, who, just like non-Mennonite farmers, have seen a market for organic produce and decide to farm organically. There are Mennonites who treat their animals badly and Mennonites that don't.

Not all Mennonites disdain higher education, and in fact, my Mennonite husband has a Ph.d and has taught in major universities in N. America and Europe.

So you can't say a Mennonite is this or that because we're a lot more diverse than that. I quite agree with the person/s who posted we're people and as prone to hypocrisy as anyone else.

The common denominator is pacifism, not horses and buggies, or organic farming.
Wonderfully said! We do like to paint with a broad brush and judge entire groups based on a few conceptions - it's the road to prejudice, in fact.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,866,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I make no bones about it, and hide that fact from nobody. I have no use for Amish, or Mennonites.
They live throughout my community, including right next door. They are a bunch of lying, cheating, thieving, hypocrites that use their religion to ripoff unsuspecting people.

The only ones that are fooled by them are the ones that have never had any dealings with them.

They hold back their women, and treat their children like slaves. All in the name of their religion.

I have always said that the more religious a person claims to be, the more that you have to watch out for them.
Lololol you sound like my mother. She's had many dealings w/ the Amish at an auction house in Indiana she used to liquidate estates at for years. She can't stand them.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:10 AM

4,723 posts, read 13,895,196 times
I was curious to read about the Amish farming/pesticide use as yes, that was always my assumption - wholesome,healthy Amish grown.
My sister has an animal rescue league and told me the Amish are notorious in their treatment of animals. She has had to deal with their "Puppy Mills" which are atrocious. I dont know how this assumption came about that they are careful,loving,gentle people who love the land and Gods creatures. It doesnt seem to e the rule.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:22 AM

20,385 posts, read 37,693,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I was curious to read about the Amish farming/pesticide use as yes, that was always my assumption - wholesome,healthy Amish grown.
My sister has an animal rescue league and told me the Amish are notorious in their treatment of animals. She has had to deal with their "Puppy Mills" which are atrocious. I dont know how this assumption came about that they are careful,loving,gentle people who love the land and Gods creatures. It doesnt seem to e the rule.
Because quite a few of them are. I've also had experience with how the Amish (who have a reputation for treating their horses poorly) actually do, and the horses that I've seen that the Amish have, while not cosseted (and neither are mine, they're well treated but I do treat them as horses and try to allow them to live as such because I've learned they're happier and healthier that way), are treated well - even if there's no emotional attachment (and I've seen that demonstrated by the Amish, as well) it would be foolish not to, just as it would be foolish to treat a tractor or vehicle badly, bad bottom line if nothing else.

Again, the Amish and Mennonites have their bad apples just like any other group of people does. If you don't want your particular subset of humanity treated with prejudice, you might want to consider that.

Thing is, people (some people, anyway, to avoid painting with a broad brush) really NEED someone to be prejudiced against, and as one group and another becomes "politically incorrect" to be prejudiced against rather one be exposed as a bigot, they find another group to judge solely by the worst of its members rather than by the majority of good people that make up that group.

Sad, really, for the person who needs that to make themselves feel superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living