U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:56 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,115,939 times

Advertisements

I just spent $100 (after rebates) on a bunch of rolls of R25 Insulation. I'm adding to the insulation already in our attic.

As I've been working, I've been thinking about how many people I know who have absolutely no idea how much insulation they have, and don't care.

I know, without much question, that the $100 I spent on more insulation will save me a little over $4 per month on my heating and cooling bill. In (no more than) 2 years, the cost of the insulation is paid off, and it's 100% savings. Where else can you invest $100, and earn $50 per year in "dividends"?

In addition to saving that kind of money, it just makes "green" sense to highly insulate and seal our houses.

I have no idea how or why more people can't see this!

Last winter, during a cold snap, I was talking with a brother-in-law about the cold. He was complaining about how his furnace was running non-stop - 24-hours per day - but couldn't keep their house warm. I asked him what he had for insulation, and he simply said, "Virtually nothing." What the heck? He is not a stupid man - at least not about most things - but his gas bill is over double what mine is, and he lives in a smaller house!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 11:23 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,876,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Maybe they need glasses to see the value in glass !

Old 11-16-2009, 07:26 PM

39,241 posts, read 40,617,533 times
Certainly makes a big difference as do the windows. I'd have some customers that changed out 50+ year old windows and add some insulation that would cut their energy bill in half. That's no exaggeration.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Certainly makes a big difference as do the windows. I'd have some customers that changed out 50+ year old windows and add some insulation that would cut their energy bill in half. That's no exaggeration.
I have absolutely no problem believing that.

My family lives in a big old 2-story brick house, built in 1928. It's a fabulous house, and in remarkably good condition. But it does, of course, have 80 year old windows.

So every year, I get a couple tubes of Seal N Peel - seasonal silicone caulk - and seal every window in the house. $5 per tube, and it's absolutely amazing the difference it makes.

We heat our 4,000 sf house for considerably less than my wife's brother heats his house - and it's only 1,800 sf and has a brand new high efficiency furnace in it.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:43 AM

30,646 posts, read 49,311,692 times
Even without the rebates, insulating is smart.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Even without the rebates, insulating is smart.
You're absolutely right.

The tax credits aren't going to make a HUGE difference to me, because I work hard on my taxes anyway.

But as it now stands, I have (after the mail-in rebate) just over $100 in that insulation. I anticipate about $20 in tax savings because of the credits. That means I have $80 invested in something that's going to save me money for the rest of my life.

It's a no-brainer.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:51 AM

5,288 posts, read 7,591,029 times
couldn't agree more. we insulated out attic crawl space to R-52, and got a solar attic fan and an extra vent installed.

this is what they call "low-hanging fruit," unfortunately insulation seems to not be sexy enough to get much attention. Maybe due to its nature of being concealed...?

RE: windows, I got excellent ones about 5 years ago and noticed an instant improvement, but one thing I need to do is go back (per an energy audit of my home) and take the frames off to fill the spaces where the old rope-pulley system used to be. that's a pretty large gap.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
couldn't agree more. we insulated out attic crawl space to R-52, and got a solar attic fan and an extra vent installed.

this is what they call "low-hanging fruit," unfortunately insulation seems to not be sexy enough to get much attention. Maybe due to its nature of being concealed...?

RE: windows, I got excellent ones about 5 years ago and noticed an instant improvement, but one thing I need to do is go back (per an energy audit of my home) and take the frames off to fill the spaces where the old rope-pulley system used to be. that's a pretty large gap.
Hey - maybe if you were naked when you were installing the insulation it'd "get more attention." I'd bet something noticeable would happen!

Man, I like your thinking about the R52 & attic fan - and also sealing up around the windows. Frankly though, I'm a little surprised that whoever installed the windows didn't insulate around them. The good news, though, is that removing and re-installing trim is usually pretty simple.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:35 PM

5,288 posts, read 7,591,029 times
if I got windows replaced today I suspect it might come up, but no, 7 years ago it wasn't really in the public mind.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:53 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,124,273 times
Windows take a much longer pay-back period than does insulation. If a home owner does not stay in the home more than 7 years following the installation of new windows they will not realize their investment. In certain parts of the country replacement windows are not "real value" added to a house when it comes time to sell.

Now, if "cap & tax" passes and energy bills/taxes rise by 3-5x as is predicted by a federal energy tax, then the payback period will be much more quickly realized.

Insulation is a quicker payback and also adds significantly to personal comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or