U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2010, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Omaha
50 posts, read 35,847 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
MattDamon, cite for your claims?

We'll start here. I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone. Just something I have to think about from day to day.

Sounds like OmahaRocks grew up on a farm. I can see why he's pro corn fed beef. Nothing wrong with that considering a lot of these discoveries have come to fruition in the last decade or two.

Now that the door has been opened... I don't understand why you folks are so set on denying everything?


Here's an essay. Login | Scribd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2010, 01:55 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,118,431 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTDAMON View Post
Completely irrelevant. Antibiotics have been administered to cattle since they've been feeding them CORN. It destroys their digestive system and makes them more vulnerable to disease. Antibiotics are just a counteraction to the real problem.
Do you have any idea how blatantly incorrect this paragraph is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 01:56 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,118,431 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTDAMON View Post
We'll start here. I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone. Just something I have to think about from day to day.

Sounds like OmahaRocks grew up on a farm. I can see why he's pro corn fed beef. Nothing wrong with that considering a lot of these discoveries have come to fruition in the last decade or two.

Now that the door has been opened... I don't understand why you folks are so set on denying everything?

Here's an essay. Login | Scribd
What's there to deny? Air claims? Straw man arguments?

You do realize, don't you, that cattle have been eating corn & other grains for thousands of years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,391 posts, read 37,728,735 times
Reputation: 22529
Wait. An essay isn't a cite, nor is it documentation. (Although PETA actually thinks, "We said it, that's our documentation" counts, they're wrong.) An essay also isn't unbiased, by definition. That's really pretty basic.

I can't read the actual essay, in any case, because it wants me to log in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 02:10 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,118,431 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Wait. An essay isn't a cite, nor is it documentation. (Although PETA actually thinks, "We said it, that's our documentation" counts, they're wrong.) An essay also isn't unbiased, by definition. That's really pretty basic.

I can't read the actual essay, in any case, because it wants me to log in.
Right. The link doesn't work.

It might also be helpful if people had a consistent understand of what "grass fed beef" is.

My understanding of grass fed beef is cattle that are grazed, and the owner might supplement the grass with some bales of alfalfa hay. That, of course, indicates that the cattle are not confined to pens - and that is part of what likely makes them more healthy.

By definition, it's possible to have grass fed beef but for them to still be fed in confinement. I don't think this is apt to happen, but it could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,391 posts, read 37,728,735 times
Reputation: 22529
That's pretty much my definition. Ours graze, and they get hay, but not alfalfa - we have our own hay put up from the same "pasture salad" that they graze on, to supplement in winter (or August, the "off" month of our 11 month growing season).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 02:19 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,118,431 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
That's pretty much my definition. Ours graze, and they get hay, but not alfalfa - we have our own hay put up from the same "pasture salad" that they graze on, to supplement in winter (or August, the "off" month of our 11 month growing season).
Right.

And some people think that "corn fed beef" means 12,000 cattle - standing belly deep in wet manure - crammed onto 1 acre, and being force-fed corn, antibiotics and synthetic growth hormones.

But it doesn't.


I really do appreciate your perspective and views, because you do know what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Omaha
50 posts, read 35,847 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Right.

And some people think that "corn fed beef" means 12,000 cattle - standing belly deep in wet manure - crammed onto 1 acre, and being force-fed corn, antibiotics and synthetic growth hormones.

But it doesn't.


I really do appreciate your perspective and views, because you do know what you're talking about.
You only say that because she agrees with you.

That's how you people are. You find any and everyone that even remotely agrees with you, and you call it good.

You are not a farmer. How much more about this do you know than me?

I'm a chef - I have to deal with gov. regulation, customs, and organics all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,391 posts, read 37,728,735 times
Reputation: 22529
You're a chef, too?

Since you have to deal with all those things, surely you understand what "cite" and "documentation" mean - so could you provide some documentation of your earlier claims beyond an essay that none of us can actually read?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 05:36 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,118,431 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTDAMON View Post
You only say that because she agrees with you.

That's how you people are. You find any and everyone that even remotely agrees with you, and you call it good.

You are not a farmer. How much more about this do you know than me?

I'm a chef - I have to deal with gov. regulation, customs, and organics all the time.
Where is she agreeing with me? She doesn't like corn-fed beef.

The fact is, she raises cattle - and you don't. I grew up on a farm, and farmed after college. My family still farms.

You, on the other hand, mostly likely wouldn't know the front end of a steer from the back end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top