U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:57 PM

9,390 posts, read 17,314,904 times

Advertisements

I can't believe all the people here who seem to prefer grass fed beef. Not me! Give me good grain-fed, USDA prime beef -- kept in the feedlot a little longer than the typical market feeder. The marbling adds to the taste and tenderness. It'll cost more, as it's graded higher, and it's not as healthy to eat (more fat) as grass-fed, lean beef, but oh boy, the steaks can't be beat, imo. Naturally, proper aging and proper cooking are just as important, and an old heifer won't be any better than an old cow, but all else being equal, give me grain-fed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 09:08 PM

20,389 posts, read 37,697,685 times
I grant you that some grass fed beef is less tender than some grain fed (unless you know how to cook it, and it's entirely possible to cook grain-fed to be tough, too), but I won't grant you that it has more flavor. I did the equivalent, all those decades ago, of a "blind taste test" because I didn't know what I'd purchased until I went back to the store to try to get some more of that great-tasting beef - and it was the grass-fed.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:16 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,105,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I grant you that some grass fed beef is less tender than some grain fed (unless you know how to cook it, and it's entirely possible to cook grain-fed to be tough, too), but I won't grant you that it has more flavor. I did the equivalent, all those decades ago, of a "blind taste test" because I didn't know what I'd purchased until I went back to the store to try to get some more of that great-tasting beef - and it was the grass-fed.
I think that we all need to admit that people have different tastes.

Though my family does not eat a lot of meat, and only part of what we eat is beef, we much prefer corn-fed beef. Part of the reason is because I grew up on a farm in Iowa - and Iowa beef is going to eat corn. But part of it is simply that we prefer that taste.

So anyway...

Old 11-29-2009, 09:41 PM

9,390 posts, read 17,314,904 times
Hey, Omaha Rocks. Can you imagine one of Omaha's finer restaurants advertising grass-fed beef steaks? I can't. And Omaha serves what's considered some of the best steaks in the world.

And I agree that everyone has different tastes. I was also raised on a farm, and we sold fat cattle (fattened in feedlots), and butchered our own meat. When I moved to Wyoming, one of the things I missed was grain-fed cattle. A few ranchers will fatten up a steer for themselves, but it's not like the midwest, where you can find a farmer to hand-pick a feeder for you to butcher. (I've since gotten used to buying in smaller quantities.)

Last edited by WyoNewk; 11-29-2009 at 09:58 PM..

Old 11-29-2009, 10:01 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,105,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Hey, Omaha Rocks. Can you imagine one of Omaha's finer restaurants advertising grass-fed beef steaks? I can't. And Omaha serves what's considered some of the best steaks in the world.
Yeah, I'm not seeing OmahaSteaks advertising grass-fed beef. Of course, they don't say a LOT about corn-fed either. But I found this explanation about their Filet Mignons.

Omaha Steaks Filet Mignon... our most popular steak of all!

Our Filet Mignons come from the heart of the beef tenderloin. This elegant cut is guaranteed to impress with its exceptional taste and texture. We start with premium, grain-fed beef that is naturally aged to give our filet mignon steak that distinct flavor, tenderness and quality you've come to expect.

Omaha Steaks Gourmet Gifts, Steak Gifts, Buy Steaks Online

Old 11-30-2009, 06:25 AM

That would be marketing to what people have been taught to think is the best, mainly by the USDA (or by being raised on a ranch that raises grain-fed beef, come to that - most people tend to prefer what they're used to, after all, being creatures of habit). It's interesting to research how corn-fed beef came to be rated so highly by the USDA, by the way, and its connection to the development of the internal combustion engine and automobiles and the resulting reduction in the number of horses used for transportation and farming and thus the reduction in demand for corn that was being raised as the equivalent of gasoline for the horses. Just look at what the government is doing today and you might get a hint.

But, bottom line, it's marketing. You have to step outside of the marketing, and outside of what you were fed growing up, to figure out what you really like, and that's hard to do.

I agree with you, by the way, that tastes vary.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:42 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,413,496 times
What many grss-fed beef proponents dismiss about tenderness is age of the animal.

A corn fed steer can get to market weight a lot younger than a grass-fed steer.

As a steer ages, the meat becomes less tender.( which is why even a corn-fed steer, if it gets too old, will not recieve a grade by the USDA grader)

Some may say the grass fed steer should be slaughtered at a younger age/weight.
That would mean the raiser would lose about 300-400 lbs of market weight in the sale.

In order for grass fed beef to develop a stronger nich market, the growers have to become better grazers and utilize the best grasses that are the most nutritous,most palatable, and put on the most lbs per day to help those animals reach slaughter weight at a younger age.

Some are doing this and the rest of the people who are contemplating raising grass-fed beef for a profit will have to adapt

TexasHorseLady has stated she does not believe in what I posted regarding grasses.
She believes grass-fed beef must be fed native prairie grasses where the steers roam huge number of acres to pick out the grasses they prefer.

That may work for a hobby farmer to raise beef that way for their own consumprion, but it can't compete with corn-fed beef in making a profit /

Old 11-30-2009, 08:09 AM

TexasHorseLady has stated that she raises her own cattle (and chickens, come to that) on "pasture salad" that gives a better flavor to the meat. The "huge number of acres" would be about 40 (and a little time on one pasture that's basically our hay pasture), and about half of that is on Austin Chalk, meaning a lot less plants of any kind than on the Houston Black that comprises the rest of the acreage.

There are, however, people commercially raising grass-fed beef on a diet of varied grasses that are doing just fine at it and who can command a premium for their beef, selling directly to consumers and high-end restaurants where flavor is an issue. Better, in fact, some of them, than they were doing ranching the same animals "traditionally", finishing off with grain - the difference between just barely getting by, if that, and making a real profit, they tell me.

It's all a matter of how you do it and if you know what you're doing, it would appear, whether it be grain-fed or grass-fed.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:21 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,884,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Yeah, I'm not seeing OmahaSteaks advertising grass-fed beef. Of course, they don't say a LOT about corn-fed either. But I found this explanation about their Filet Mignons.

Omaha Steaks Filet Mignon... our most popular steak of all!

Our Filet Mignons come from the heart of the beef tenderloin. This elegant cut is guaranteed to impress with its exceptional taste and texture. We start with premium, grain-fed beef that is naturally aged to give our filet mignon steak that distinct flavor, tenderness and quality you've come to expect.

Omaha Steaks Gourmet Gifts, Steak Gifts, Buy Steaks Online
Actually, most beef industry that I know of out in the western states are range fed. It's only the last few months they are sent to feed lots to put on some fat through grain diet which gives it flavour.

Now as far as Omaha Beef ???

Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

At some trade shows down in So-Cal there was a guy who distributed for them with a grill giving out samples. The aroma of that grill was almost impossible to be near and keep your sanity, even if you were stuffed from a good meal an hour before.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,413,496 times
How do you know that "pasture salad" gives --the best flavor to the meat?

Have you ever eaten grass fed beef from a regulated grass pasture ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or