U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:44 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,411,082 times

Advertisements

-----the "huge number of acres" would be about 40--

And the few number of cattle you have on those 40 acres would make the acres/cattle ratio totally unprofitable if someone was attempting to grass feed beef for a profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 08:51 AM

20,388 posts, read 37,697,685 times
Yep. We used to have a "regulated grass pasture" upon which we raised our cattle, in accordance with conveyed knowledge (and it was what was here when we got the place). Yep, there's a difference, and why wouldn't there be? Free range chicken tastes different from chickens that are fed a "regulated" diet. Free range eggs taste different. What goes in has an impact on what comes out - if that weren't the case, there'd be no justification for grain fed beyond getting it to market quicker, and that doesn't benefit the consumer particularly, though it is a benefit to the producer, of course.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
-----the "huge number of acres" would be about 40--

And the few number of cattle you have on those 40 acres would make the acres/cattle ratio totally unprofitable if someone was attempting to grass feed beef for a profit.
Which was why I mentioned that there are commercial grass-fed producers with a lot more mixed-grass acres than that running a lot more cattle than that that are doing just fine financially because they are marketing in a different way and producing a product that commands premium prices. I wouldn't expect someone who was in it for the money to judge based exclusively on what we're doing for our own consumption. That would be silly.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,105,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Which was why I mentioned that there are commercial grass-fed producers with a lot more mixed-grass acres than that running a lot more cattle than that that are doing just fine financially because they are marketing in a different way and producing a product that commands premium prices. I wouldn't expect someone who was in it for the money to judge based exclusively on what we're doing for our own consumption. That would be silly.
I think you've touched on something very important.

When my family lived on our acreage, there were a lot of things we did because we wanted to - not because they were economically viable.

Our chickens, for instance... Were we to add up all the costs involved in buying baby chicks, feeding and raising them, then continuing to feed them when they became hens, our "farm fresh eggs" were VERY expensive! But we didn't do it to save money.

So really, we have two different issues involved here. There are those of you who are fortunate enough to raise your own food. That is absolutely wonderful! On the other hand, there is the need for mass-produced food to be able to efficiently and sufficiently feed hundreds of millions of people. Sometimes efficiency and mass-production demand a compromise in quality.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:36 AM

437 posts, read 776,306 times
Yes, read Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma, is a fun easy read and it'll change the way you think about food. (There's also In Defense of Food by the same author.)

Old 12-03-2009, 07:53 AM

I did a little looking around, and it apparently is now available to purchase, online, grass-fed beef in the $3.00/4.00 a pound range if you buy it in (relative) bulk - say, a quarter or a half. If you've got the freezer space, that puts it in the same price range as regular grocery store beef - cheaper for some cuts, more expensive for boths, but it evens out.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I did a little looking around, and it apparently is now available to purchase, online, grass-fed beef in the $3.00/4.00 a pound range if you buy it in (relative) bulk - say, a quarter or a half. If you've got the freezer space, that puts it in the same price range as regular grocery store beef - cheaper for some cuts, more expensive for boths, but it evens out.
Oddly enough, pork is a great buy right now - mostly due to the fact that lots of people are dumb enough to think that the Swine Flu (H1N1) is somehow connect to eating pork.

It's not my fault that people are that dumb. But hey, half-priced pork!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:13 AM

Well, I don't really get your drift, but, hey, I love pork, too!

I don't think people are "dumb" for liking grass-fed beef, though. Any more than I think they are "dumb" for liking grain fed beef. Some people are all about the tender, others are all about the flavor, most are somewhere in the middle with one or the other taking preference (I like to have the flavor AND be able to cook it so it's tender, so I get the best of both worlds, so I do) - different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Well, I don't really get your drift, but, hey, I love pork, too!

I don't think people are "dumb" for liking grass-fed beef, though. Any more than I think they are "dumb" for liking grain fed beef. Some people are all about the tender, others are all about the flavor, most are somewhere in the middle with one or the other taking preference (I like to have the flavor AND be able to cook it so it's tender, so I get the best of both worlds, so I do) - different strokes for different folks.
You were talking about the price of meat. That's all.

By the way, our son & his wife managed to buy a 20lb turkey for Thanksgiving for 39 cents per pound last week. Great deal!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:27 AM

Yes, isn't turkey a phenomenal value? Most folks don't notice that except around Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or