U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 02:14 PM

28,194 posts, read 47,534,252 times

Advertisements

SACRAMENTO In a widely watched ruling that could be followed by other states, California passed first-in-the-nation energy efficiency standards for new television sets.

After two years of debate and fierce opposition from the Consumer Electronics Association, the five-member California Energy Commission unanimously voted Wednesday to require new TV sets sold in California to reduce electricity consumption 33 percent by 2011 and 49 percent by 2013.

California adopts first-in-nation rules to cut energy use by new TVs - San Jose Mercury News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 06:36 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,124,273 times
Think how much energy would be saved if Nancy Pelosi quit flying home nearly every weekend on her super inefficient and oversized luxury plane!

Seriously, will CA put up a special security patrol to make certain it's residents don't drive across the stateline to purchase a TV like they do now with ammunition?

This is all about government controlling it's citizens. And, this is the best reason I can think of to go off-grid. Not because it is green but because self-sufficiency cuts the government's arm off at the power meter. When the government installs a nationwide "smart-grid" they will know when you are home and when you are not by energy consumption levels. They will be able to shut down yours or my power and shift it to a city or state that has been in more agreement with the political agenda of the day.

Yup, more control and more corruption to follow.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:29 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,373,534 times
I think it's a great thing.

I can't imagine many Californians are going to bother crossing the state border just to buy a TV, and whether or not a few do is besides the point. The larger point is that new TVs, in California and beyond, will start using up less energy. Most people have better things to do with their time then drive what for most Californians is a long drive just to get a less energy-efficient TV. What would be the point?

Old 11-19-2009, 12:29 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,124,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think it's a great thing.

I can't imagine many Californians are going to bother crossing the state border just to buy a TV, and whether or not a few do is besides the point. The larger point is that new TVs, in California and beyond, will start using up less energy. Most people have better things to do with their time then drive what for most Californians is a long drive just to get a less energy-efficient TV. What would be the point?
Exercising freedom?

No, if Californians believed in freedom they would have exercised it years ago and not have evolved into the leading nanny state.

The question is: doesn't the California government have more pressing issues to address than dictating which T.V.'s may be sold in the state? Control is an powerful drug and California state and local governments are addicts.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:55 AM

5,288 posts, read 7,591,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The question is: doesn't the California government have more pressing issues to address than dictating which T.V.'s may be sold in the state? Control is an powerful drug and California state and local governments are addicts.
if brownouts are a massive problem (and expensive and a hassle to fix), and from what I see on the news they appear to be, then I think this qualifies as a pressing issue.

I agree with you 100% on self-reliance, but you have to start somewhere - I don't know people in a city like LA could ever be self-reliant without a *lot* of investment in renewable energy.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:13 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,925,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Exercising freedom?

No, if Californians believed in freedom they would have exercised it years ago and not have evolved into the leading nanny state.

This is a funny comment. While living in California, I never felt like my freedoms were violated. I felt confident that the state government would go to bat to protect my civil rights from the Fed or anyone else who wanted to take them away.

I had the option of living in any way from capital-R Repubconservative to Demoprogressive. I could listen to either side rant away on the radio waves and catch every form of music from pop to classical to electronica on the radio waves.

Now that I'm in the midwest where I see a lot more flag-waving and jaw-jawing about freedom and independence, I've had experiences that make me certain the state has no interest in respecting my rights and freedoms. In fact, since moving out of "nanny-state" California, I've had to undergo more screenings, carry around a "realID card", jump through more stupid government hoops, pay more in fees/insurance/registration and generally be told that I'm either a terrorist or I need to be afraid of terrorists at every turn.

Not only that, but should you tune into a radio station, local television, or read a local newspaper you have the wide array of "choices" that exist between conservative groupthink and Christian groupthink.

Having lived in the middle and on the coasts I have to say that it seems the "freedom" in middle america is an illusion. About the only thing I'm free to do here is drive a decrepit polluting vehicle without someone checking the emissions every 2 years, but I have to have a national RealID in order to operate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or