Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 03:52 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwellness View Post
Hi arctichomesteader, would you say one of those cookstoves would be sufficient for heating a basement, or a small apartment above a barn? How much do one of those go for? By the way if you haven't started already, I think you sould write a book, you really seem to know your STUFF!
It depends. Most cookstoves today haven't changed too much from older ones. They have small fireboxes, often are not airtight, and don't give off enough heat to heat a house. Some will give off enough heat for a small portion of a house or a basement perhaps, others won't. Leaving the oven open would give off more heat. There are some Amish made cookstoves that are airtight with larger fireboxes that will heat a small house. I think they range in price from about $1500 for a small one with no extra features to $2700 for a large one with a water reservoir. However, I've seen decent antique cookstoves for a couple hundred or a bit more at estate and farm sales, then you could get a modern heating stove for heating to go with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 05:24 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
I would be thinking propane for stove and clothes dryer and wood to heat the house (perhaps even as a secondary source?) but I am lazy. I guess it depends on how much time you have to feed the fire and chop wood, etc.

Propane is not exactly the most sustainable fuel source but I think using it just for cooking is acceptable.

The thing is who wants to be cooking with wood in the summer unless it is outdoors.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:41 PM

35 posts, read 266,369 times
Can either of you recommend any good books on getting started with all this (until you get published of course artichomesteader!) I get Mother Earth News already, & a few other green magazines. Also is straw or adobe not good choices in the NE because of the cold/wet weather? Would a Yurt be ok to live in in that climate while building? Thanks again!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:28 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Hey Lance,when I've looked at the stats on-line it does seem to be mainly white, I don't know if a realtor would be real honest on the matter either. I'm going to try & plan a trip out there towards the end of spring when the weather is nicer & try & get a feel for it. The last place I lived on LI was actually near the areas you mentioned: Middle Island, near Coram, I didn't like it all that much, the schools were not the best, it was just "different" from where I mainly grew up which was East Meadow in nassau cnty. I did like Selden alot my son had gotten a scholarship for a private school @ the time called Faith Academy it was a K-12 school with a population of less than 400. My sister lives in Bayshore & I have an aunt in Lk Ronkonkoma I'll think I'll tell them to keep their eyes open. How far out are you to going back there?
Probably going back in 2 months if all works out but i've only been gone since October 2008.Miller place,mount sinai,rocky point,sound beach are all on the north shore and about 10-15 minutes east of selden. When you lived in middle island your kids would have been in the Longwood district which isn't one of my favorites.The other towns are better.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:31 AM

Your right it was Longwood, I lived in a apartment complex off 25A across from a Kmart or Target, it served it's purpose @ the time. I went on some blog about the areas yout talking about, & there seemed to be so much back & forth if the areas were still good or not? I would have been interested in a little more quiet/rural type setting. Definately like the N. shore versus the S. shore I lived for a very short time in E northport when I was about 16. My parents also lived in Kings Park for a while. I checked some prices in E. Marion, Greenport, even some other names I could remember on S shore like Quoge & Aquebouge(hope I didn't butcher names that bad) school districts must be pretty good from what they spend per kid, but the housing prices were NUTS! If you know of any other areas were maybe there is more open land left, & not too much $$$$$$ let me know. It all just seemed to point me more upstate, but would love to hear more since you have done both. Also what made you go back so quick? Wish you the best in 2010!

Last edited by angelwellness; 01-01-2010 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-01-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Your right it was Longwood, I lived in a apartment complex off 25A across from a Kmart or Target, it served it's purpose @ the time. I went on some blog about the areas yout talking about, & there seemed to be so much back & forth if the areas were still good or not? I would have been interested in a little more quiet/rural type setting. Definately like the N. shore versus the S. shore I lived for a very short time in E northport when I was about 16. My parents also lived in Kings Park for a while. I checked some prices in E. Marion, Greenport, even some other names I could remember on S shore like Quoge & Aquebouge(hope I didn't butcher names that bad) school districts must be pretty good from what they spend per kid, but the housing prices were NUTS! If you know of any other areas were maybe there is more open land left, & not too much $$$$$$ let me know. It all just seemed to point me more upstate, but would love to hear more since you have done both. Also what made you go back so quick? Wish you the best in 2010!
Well going back because i'm originally from the city and lived on long island for a long time like I told you and once you experience that and have seen everywhere else,there's nothing else like it you realize. Areas like east marion and greenport are almost all the way to the end out east on the north shore(which are some of my favorite areas) but it is expensive. In long island you aren't going to get much more then a half acre unless you pay a bit more.Upstate obviously would be cheaper in that respect. School districts are mostly very good on the island but taxes can be high depending on each district. Honestly if you are looking for land i'd forget about long island. What i'm going to do eventually is buy into a town like rocky point where taxes are lower then I can redo a home and do something like geothermal heating,and solar panels for water/shower. You'll find alot of homes in RP for $200-300k range but most are 1/4 to 1/2 an acre.These areas are local to all though.Upstate there is a real estate site called Nothnagle which is big.I think their site is nothnagle.com and they cover alot of the western,ny/upstate areas.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:12 PM

Best of luck, let me know what you get & what the taxes will be. I'm going to have my sis check out those areas for the hell of it, her husband could do fix-up for me. You definately can't find food like you can in NY, & some of my best memories are packing up the cooler with some heros from the local deli, some brews, the boogie board & spending the entire day at the beach!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Best of luck, let me know what you get & what the taxes will be. I'm going to have my sis check out those areas for the hell of it, her husband could do fix-up for me. You definately can't find food like you can in NY, & some of my best memories are packing up the cooler with some heros from the local deli, some brews, the boogie board & spending the entire day at the beach!
I would check out www.mlsli.com and you can pick towns and set parameters for taxes. In a town like rocky point you can find homes with taxes from $2500-5000 easily. Alot of other areas it is tough to be under the $7-8,000 range.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:27 PM

I 've been mia for a bit, but I'm trying to narrow done the search. I have definately decided I will be relocating to the upstate ny area, but need some help with the towns, from my original blog I have listed what's important can anyone give some viewpoints on the towns of---- Greenwich, Cambridge, Schuylerville, Salem, Stillwater, Mechanicville, Schaghticoke, Hoosick, or Hoosick Falls, Grafton, Petersburg, & last but not least Corinth. If there are any other areas around that fit what I am looking for for a decent price PLEASE let me know, I will be moving in 4-6 months. Thanks so much for any help.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:38 PM

I will be arriving in NY by November, I have decided to rent for awhile & explore the area to see where I want to have land to start my wellness center. I like the towns of Queensbury, Greenwich, Cambridge, & of coarse Saratoga Springs ( which seems a bit pricey, but maybe I'll get lucky) Does anyone know of someone, like an elderly person or couple that could use some help either with themselves (I have been a nurse for over 15 yrs) or perhaps could use help with their land or taking care of their animals, in exchange for a lower rent. It would also give me a feel of what it's like to live on a farm, & taking care of the animals. Thank you for any advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living