U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 11:55 PM

35 posts, read 140,283 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some advice about moving to Upstate NY. I am originally from the Long Island/Queens area, & have lived in Arizona for the past 9 years & want out. All of my family still live on the Island & Queens; too expensive & busy for me. I am a single mom of 3 & a grandma to a almost 1 year old grandson. The Greenwich area northeast of Albany seems nice. I would like some land & build a green home "off the grid", I want to grow my own organic food & have some chickens for their eggs (I don't eat meat but haven't gone vegan yet) have some goats & a few horses. I am an RN & will need to be no more than 30-45 min. away from a healthcare facility for work. I am a Holistic Health Practitioner & would like to run a small natural health business from my home/land. I am a Reiki Master,
Myofascial Release Practitioner treating both people & horses. Would like to be somewhere with a lower amount of snow than some of the central parts of the state get, low crime, good schools, small town, good healthy living. I'm not rich so if anyone has info on grants or non-profits I would like to provide a rescue for PMU horses or abused dogs, & run some type of camp for kids in need. I've seen children & animals work wonders healing one another. SORRY so long any advice/ideas would greatly be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 01:14 PM

11,853 posts, read 11,509,554 times
I think what you are asking for is practically impossible... can you live off-the-grid in NY? Yes... will it be close to a large city or a healthcare facility? Nope... Can you garden in it? Yup... There isn't a place in New York to live off the grid and be close to major healthcare facility with little snow... I don't know any parts of NY that has "lower amount of snow", they all seem to have a large amount of snow to me... most of your garden won't survive in the snow either...

Old 12-22-2009, 01:50 PM

4,128 posts, read 7,818,807 times
We live near Greenwich in Saratoga. Although we don't get lake effect snow, we still get quite a bit. They do clear the roads quickly, so travel isn't a problem. Not sure about living off the grid. Several of our neighbors have various heat sources, wood, pellets, coal, propane. We have a energy efficient house and although our costs are quite a bit less than others, we cannot live off the grid. Today it is 22 degrees with the windchill.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:03 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,661,719 times
Off grid can mean lots of things. It can be living the same life as you live now, Or it can be jungleman half a step away from being a canibal. On Hawaii, off grid is very common in that there are no public utilities yet they live a normal modern lifestyle. Others live the off grid as in pioneer lifestyle. So how much off grid are you wanting?

Old 12-23-2009, 02:21 AM

Thanks for replies, as far as how off the grid. I would like to have solar for my electric, hot water. A well & or cistern system for water. I realize, I would probably need and alternate heat source other than solar, due to overcast days, I would have a wood heat source as well. I want indoor plumbing, so I guess maybe a better term than "off the grid" might be living as green as possible, & self sustainable, I don't want to feel like I'm camping with a porta-potty, that's for sure! As far as lower snowfall I beleive the last a checked Greenwich gets an average of 55"/year while Woodstock, Buffalo & the center north of the state can have well over 100"/year. I didn't state I had to be near a "major healthcare facility" I said 30-45 near a heathcare facility which can mean a # of things ie: hospital, nursing home, assisted living facility, adult care home, sub acute care facility, I hear there are a number of correctional facilities upstate all which have medical, with nurses working in them. I have been a nurse for 15 years & have experience in all. Eventually I pray to have my business up & running, so I will not need to work elsewhere. I would like to have a hot house & protected covering for parts of the winter season, but will be canning to get through the months that gardening is just not possible. I am certified to work on horses with Myofascial release & other modalities, I thought being close to Saratoga's race track would be good for business. Do you know how open people are to alternative health up there? One of the things I want is just a safer more wholesome life for my kids & grandson, I found the total opposite here in AZ. Again thanks for any helpful advice & ideas.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:37 AM

11,853 posts, read 11,509,554 times
Solar simply won't cut it in NY (not with current solar efficiency)... unless you use the very minimum of electricity... You can use pellet stoves (I heard they work very well and great efficiency) for heating but you do have to "buy" the pellets... if you want true "off the grid" you might want to look at micro-hydroelectric power but the problem is if the water source "freezes" and how much water flows during the summer season... if you want to work in acute care facility, then it shouldn't be too difficult to find a place near one of those... If you really want to live off the grid in NY, I suggest looking for a riverfront home but be careful it doesn't flood... for me, more than 3 inches per year is too much snow but maybe you think differently...

Old 12-24-2009, 12:52 PM

Thanks evilnewbie, I hadn't heard of micro-hydroelectric. I'm not the biggest fan of snow either, but it's being close to my family on L.I & the desire for hopefully a better life for my family. I had looked into other areas had an opportunity in Northern Calf. that fell through, have a friend that lives in Ashland Or. that I visited but it just didn't feel right, looked into WA. state but every small town I seemed to check on had a big drug problem, or was really expensive. Upstate Ny just kept coming back up, I'm believing/praying putting up with the winter season will be worth it. I just love the other 3 seasons, you can't beat the beauty of those fall colors, & from what I've heard it's a great place for families. Do you know anything about starting a non-profit or grants that I mentioned in the 1st blog?

Old 12-24-2009, 01:21 PM

8,126 posts, read 8,435,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwellness View Post
Thanks evilnewbie, I hadn't heard of micro-hydroelectric. I'm not the biggest fan of snow either, but it's being close to my family on L.I & the desire for hopefully a better life for my family. I had looked into other areas had an opportunity in Northern Calf. that fell through, have a friend that lives in Ashland Or. that I visited but it just didn't feel right, looked into WA. state but every small town I seemed to check on had a big drug problem, or was really expensive. Upstate Ny just kept coming back up, I'm believing/praying putting up with the winter season will be worth it. I just love the other 3 seasons, you can't beat the beauty of those fall colors, & from what I've heard it's a great place for families. Do you know anything about starting a non-profit or grants that I mentioned in the 1st blog?
Hi angel,
I was born in Queens and lived in suffolk county most of my life.Now I reside west of Rochester.If you do try going off the grid your best option is to contact a local installer.The government is giving great tax breaks/grants for installs but you have to realize that upstate electric and heat are much cheaper then the island and NYC.My electric runs me about half $150/month on a fairly new 4000 sq ft home.Water about $40/mth. For animal related grants i'd contact the ASPCA or send email directly to Governor Patterson's office. Personally I don't know if it is feasible though. Jobs upstate are a little more difficult to come by but in the medical field you do stand a better chance but you have to realize that the closer to a major city,probably a little more expensive then further away.I think the snow estimate might be off,but the type of snow is different then we were getting in long island and queens.Here it is alot more like powder which is much easier to shovel and can be pushed aside with a broom. Where you are is more of a packing snow which is much more difficult to clear.Last year we had quite a few days that snowed 2-3 inches but I was able to clean up in 20 minutes.Even a 1-2 foot day took me under an hour.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:45 PM

8,165 posts, read 9,837,615 times
Lance - are you on NYSEG?

Old 12-24-2009, 04:11 PM

8,126 posts, read 8,435,033 times
National Grid-Elec,RG&E-Gas/Heat

in Long Island: LIPA for elec,National Grid for gas/heat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living