U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 04:43 PM

845 posts, read 2,071,249 times

Advertisements

I just moved in a new place and was able to get the energy saving, swirly bulbs for 1 buck each. Problem is they are too big for about 12 of my lights like the ceiling fans, bathroom, porch......What's the most economical way to resolve this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 04:15 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,657,689 times
My recommendation would be to just quit using those bulbs. They're NOT environmentally friendly for a couple of reasons:

1. They contain mercury which is released when they go to the dump or are incinerated. In fact, it is illegal to dispose of them in CA. MN, OH, IN, IL, MI and WI. Also, if one accidently breaks, the amount of mercury in them will likely cause you to be temporarily exposed to higher levels of mercury than the EPA thinks safe.

2. They are all made in China, though they bear familiar American brand names. Since the retail cost is significantly higher than regular, incandescent bulbs, the reason for producing them in China isn't cost; it's because of China's lax environmental rules. In other words, in order for you to save the estimated $40 over the life of the bulb, Chinese workers and citizens will have to deal with exposure to mercury and other dangerous chemicals involved in the manufacturing process. That's their problem, you might say, but Chinese air pollution makes it to the USA.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:12 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,162,770 times
Use regular incandescents, but make sure they're the lowest wattage possible in order to still get the light you need.

Then make sure you turn lights off when they're not in use. The most efficient light bulb is the one that is turned off.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:05 AM

17,851 posts, read 54,134,324 times
They make ones that are more compact. It takes a little looking and they might be a little more expensive.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:06 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,344,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
My recommendation would be to just quit using those bulbs. They're NOT environmentally friendly for a couple of reasons:

1. They contain mercury which is released when they go to the dump or are incinerated. In fact, it is illegal to dispose of them in CA. MN, OH, IN, IL, MI and WI. Also, if one accidently breaks, the amount of mercury in them will likely cause you to be temporarily exposed to higher levels of mercury than the EPA thinks safe.

2. They are all made in China, though they bear familiar American brand names. Since the retail cost is significantly higher than regular, incandescent bulbs, the reason for producing them in China isn't cost; it's because of China's lax environmental rules. In other words, in order for you to save the estimated $40 over the life of the bulb, Chinese workers and citizens will have to deal with exposure to mercury and other dangerous chemicals involved in the manufacturing process. That's their problem, you might say, but Chinese air pollution makes it to the USA.

Ironic, isn't it? You're suppose to be saving money and helping the environment, but you're really not.

I have a big problem with spending $15.00 on a light bulb when I can buy a four pack for $2.00.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:08 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,344,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
I just moved in a new place and was able to get the energy saving, swirly bulbs for 1 buck each. Problem is they are too big for about 12 of my lights like the ceiling fans, bathroom, porch......What's the most economical way to resolve this situation?

You could always sell them to someone else, or just use them for the lights they work with.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:14 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,200,064 times
Most light bulbs (and light emitting devices) are made in China anymore be they incandesent, CFL, or LED.

I use only a couple of CFL's for interior lights that come on and stay on the most on auto-timers (security). For light used occasionally or for reading I use incandesent. If you have a problem remembering to turn off lights perhaps a timer or motion detector switch would be worth the investment for the long haul.

The most economical way to resolve the situation is to return the bulbs that do not fit to the store where you bought them the next time you are in the area.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:09 PM

845 posts, read 2,071,249 times
The ones that do fit were only .99 each at Fry's. The odd sized ones are about 4 bucks each. Ouch. Thought maybe someone could give me THE best retailer to get the oddballs at.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:53 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,304,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

Solution: Take old CFLs to a hazardous material waste facility. Many municipalities have facilities to collect household chemicals. And what really are the odds of breaking one?

That goes pretty much for any third world country that manufactures our products. Why do you think factories move to Mexico? It's not because of the weather.

I will recommend against the el cheapo CFLs, they don't last long at all. I've had the best service & selection from GE brand.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:36 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,657,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Ironic, isn't it? You're suppose to be saving money and helping the environment, but you're really not.

I have a big problem with spending $15.00 on a light bulb when I can buy a four pack for $2.00.

Well, snake oil salesmen used to sell tonic. Now, they sell "green."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or