U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 01:07 PM

97 posts, read 250,774 times

Advertisements

I took a short college course (NCCER) at CFCC here in Ocala,Fl and to finish the course we had to take GOING GREEN. I think that was an awsome course it really open my eyes to how we all have a large Cabon foot print in this world.
I try to conserve as much as I can but it is still a little hard because I just realized alot of things and its just putting things in place.
I recycle plastic now, which I had never. And turn off the water while brushing my teeth, just little small steps like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 01:21 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,065,088 times
Is that class offered through their Religion Department?

Old 01-03-2010, 06:01 PM

Default Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha rocks View Post
is that class offered through their religion department?
what are you asking?

Old 01-03-2010, 06:31 PM

6,845 posts, read 9,199,906 times
Saw a news story the other day where the owner of the Philly Eagles was going green. Silly stuff like having concession napkins that bio-degrade faster and planting a tree every time the team goes on a road trip on their chartered jet.
But there was no mention of the amount of tons of coal burned to produce the amount of electricity needed and the mega kilowatts consumed to light the stadium for 4 hours at a night game. And how many gallons of water are flushed down the urinals at half time when the fans have to relieve themselves of all the beer that is consumed.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARRELL-N-FLORIDA View Post
what are you asking?
Honestly, I guess I'm asking why "going green" would be part of a college curriculum - unless it's part of the Politics or Religion Department.

I intentionally live a very "green" life, but this modern Global Warming Movement is complete BS. It's about making money, not bettering the environment.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:37 PM

Default Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Honestly, I guess I'm asking why "going green" would be part of a college curriculum - unless it's part of the Politics or Religion Department.

I intentionally live a very "green" life, but this modern Global Warming Movement is complete BS. It's about making money, not bettering the environment.
I though that was a joke sorry. I took a NCCER course and it had OSHA training and going green to pass the course. It lets you be aware of our large carbon foot print. Its awful. I am trying to get on at the Nuke plant and they only want people with NCCER certifications. The course was 3 weeks long and going green is what the new nuke plant is in to.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I though that was a joke sorry. I took a NCCER course and it had OSHA training and going green to pass the course. It lets you be aware of our large carbon foot print. Its awful. I am trying to get on at the Nuke plant and they only want people with NCCER certifications. The course was 3 weeks long and going green is what the new nuke plant is in to.
Okay, that makes sense.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 PM

Default Good course

Quote:
Okay, that makes sense.
Full of good info

Old 02-10-2010, 09:32 PM
dgz

800 posts, read 2,993,570 times
Quote:

Going green is about efficiency. It's about doing things with less energy and being able to use fewer resources. It's about reusing existing resources. It's about not pooping where we eat--because we have only planet to live on. I can't think of a more needed field of study right now.

Politics? Perhaps that's people jumping on a bandwagon. But casting politics aside, we need a major change in the way we do things. The past way isn't working for us.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:41 PM

5,090 posts, read 9,817,932 times
Quote:
Sounded more like a sorry joke.

I am teaching an 11 month NCCER based course on Electric Power. The "Green" portion you mentioned was/is part of it. Doing it with our own kids, at home, as well.

No real fan of Nukes, though. Anyone doing Solar Thermal down your way? Seems rather favorable. Our guys asked that we add Solar PV, Solar Thermal and Wind to the class, as well as some advanced controls, so we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living