U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 12:06 AM
dgz dgz started this thread

796 posts, read 1,662,376 times
Default Bubble wrap as insulation

I recently heard that the 1/2" or 1" bubble wrap used for standard shipping materials has an R value around 2 (which I think is pretty good considering that a lot of the spray-in wall foams have R values around 3 and 4).

I know that some people use bubble wrap as a temporary insulation on their windows, but has anyone used it to supplement existing blow-in attic insulation? It's so inexpensive and it seems like it would be great to fold over a few times and put in some draftier areas of an attic. And I'm just curious if there are any negatives to using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 12:20 AM

8,294 posts, read 13,305,342 times
I think that if it was really that good, more people would be using that.

But that's just my hunch.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:45 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,062,916 times
I'm sure it's not rated for fire safety.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:46 AM

yeah, I was just wondering... because people would not have thought of using shredded jeans or treated newspaper or wool for insulation a number of years ago--and now these are becoming more popular. But bubble wrap is a lot less expensive than these materials and it could easily be laid on top of existing insulation or put in 'problem' areas of the attic. For example, where I live, the summers are so hot and the south side of the house is always the problem area. :-) And I think it would be much less expensive to put down this wrap (and fold it over a few times). Plus, it would keep the existing blow-in insulation more in place.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
I'm sure it's not rated for fire safety.
Very good point.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:31 PM

18,820 posts, read 7,748,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
I recently heard that the 1/2" or 1" bubble wrap used for standard shipping materials has an R value around 2 (which I think is pretty good considering that a lot of the spray-in wall foams have R values around 3 and 4).

I know that some people use bubble wrap as a temporary insulation on their windows, but has anyone used it to supplement existing blow-in attic insulation? It's so inexpensive and it seems like it would be great to fold over a few times and put in some draftier areas of an attic. And I'm just curious if there are any negatives to using it.
I've heard of old rubber tires being used. Sounds like a good idea.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 AM

32,911 posts, read 26,410,850 times
The stuff burns too well to risk as insulation IMHO. I would not use it except as a temporary measure. Use fire rated insulation instead. Check if your home owner's insurance has limitations on insulation materials. This is not an area where cheap pays off.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:23 AM

9,807 posts, read 5,355,450 times
I never considered the cost of real insulation to be so costly that I had to look for/think up substitutes.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:27 AM

9,926 posts, read 8,390,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post

Well there would be a HUGE one at my place if I used it.

I'd turn into a bubble popping freak and probably have compulsively ruined the lot in a matter of days.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Well there would be a HUGE one at my place if I used it.

I'd turn into a bubble popping freak and probably have compulsively ruined the lot in a matter of days.
And bubble-popping would definitely kill the R-value too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living