Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 03:31 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times

Advertisements

Reading it right now! ☺ Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 03:38 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,163 times
You are fast(of course, I am dialup challenged out here)! You are welcome

Old 01-13-2010, 03:40 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
It was suppose to be edited...oops

Fixed.
So... How about explaining away the whole "Monsanto is trying to patent the pig, and charge royalties to every person in the world who raises pigs!!!!!!!!!" debacle?

Want to explain that one away?

Then we can move on and talk about how the SAME PEOPLE who made up that crap have moved on to this stuff.

Think Alar Scare.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:46 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So... How about explaining away the whole "Monsanto is trying to patent the pig, and charge royalties to every person in the world who raises pigs!!!!!!!!!" debacle?

Want to explain that one away?

Then we can move on and talk about how the SAME PEOPLE who made up that crap have moved on to this stuff.

Think Alar Scare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwWtgmHUtyY

Sure thing. Watch. It has nothing to do with being made up. Its basically advanced breeding in a way. They put A LOT of time and money in research to get the product. It would not max profits to just give it away or even share it.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post

Sure thing. Watch. It has nothing to do with being made up. Its basically advanced breeding in a way. They put A LOT of time and money in research to get the product. It would not max profits to just give it away or even share it.
Hahahaha!!!! You have GOT to be kidding me!

A YouTube video - starring Andrew Kimbrell, a known anti-food-technology activist. A YouTube video from GERMANY, that is filled with factual errors and alarmist hype.

- Are you aware that Monsanto hasn't even been involved in Pork for the past 3 years?
- Are you aware that Monsanto had simply contracted out for a company to perform research work for a patent application related to a specific gene marker for a pig trait?
- Are you aware that a gene marker is NOT a pig?

I didn't think so!

Old 01-13-2010, 05:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Also, I'm sitting here scratching my head about Organic Bell Peppers that are imported to New Mexico from Holland. How can that possibly be good for the environment?
You're absolutlely right, it's not good for the environment at all. That explains why the hype is on the marketing side, not the science side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
------" sterilize it making our vanishing arable soils useless for food production "---

??????????????????

yet, after only 3 years those same soils are eligible to be certified organic and you will pay top dollar buying organic food grown on those ruined soils .
I could be wrong, but I believe to be certified organic, soil needs 10 years to be certified organic. Unless a farmer believes he can repair the soil through organic ammendments in such a time and make a profit off of it, that soil won't be used to grow It will be used for a parking lot or a McMansion so your point is moot.

ABQConvict

Old 01-13-2010, 06:08 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
My farm was certified organic after I sold my milk cows and retired.

It was done so at the request of my son who wants to buy the farm, was milkiing his organic certified cows on a rented organic farm.

No spraying had been done on my farm for 3 years ( rotational grazing) so certifying organic was simple.

I felt my son had been " brainwashed" by the organic people he listened to, but agreed to get my farm certified if that is what he wanted.

One month after getting my farm certified, I told my son he would be broke and gone if he stayed certified dairy farming. ( I was renting the farm to him)

After only --one day-- of selling certified organic milk on my farm, he admitted he was wrong and my farm is no longer certified.

Yes, like all dairy farmers struggling with low milk prices, times are tough. But he still in the business 2 1/2 years later.

Staying organic would have made him broke by spring of 2008.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:42 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Hahahaha!!!! You have GOT to be kidding me!

A YouTube video - starring Andrew Kimbrell, a known anti-food-technology activist. A YouTube video from GERMANY, that is filled with factual errors and alarmist hype.

- Are you aware that Monsanto hasn't even been involved in Pork for the past 3 years?
- Are you aware that Monsanto had simply contracted out for a company to perform research work for a patent application related to a specific gene marker for a pig trait?
- Are you aware that a gene marker is NOT a pig?

I didn't think so!
Regardless of what the environmental lobby says, I've done my own research on monsanto and won't knowingly support them in any way. They do indeed want to dominate seed production, no doubts about it. No company should ever have a monopoly on seed production. We've had scares in the past from one seed type being dominant when new diseases or pests came in and threatened crops. When we went into iraq we in fact banned seed saving and forced Iraqi farmers to buy monsanto seeds (leading to some older varieties becoming extinct or endangered). Monsanto lobbyists were in large part behind that decision. Many older varieties worldwide are in danger of extinction, either by lack of planting or cross contamination, and we simply can't afford to lose seed diversity should a new pest or disease in the future make it necessary to use these other varieties to breed a resistant variety. Up in Canada I've read reports about farmers who were not growing monsanto seeds, but, cross pollination of corn is such that their crops were contaminated heavily over time. Monsanto had agents going out and suing these farmers (personally, I'd have sued for tainting my non-GMO seed).

Furthermore, we simply don't have enough time experienced and study to know for sure the effects of some of this genetic engineering. Terminator genes, for instance, are one thing monsanto wants to use, imagine if that trait got crossed into other seeds. It could be seriously catastrophic. Inserting animal or fish genes into plants. We have no clue what the longterm effects of this tampering with genes may be. Evidence is slowly coming out though of negative health effects. The study cited above is not the first one to suggest problems with at least some GMO's.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Regardless of what the environmental lobby says, I've done my own research on monsanto and won't knowingly support them in any way. They do indeed want to dominate seed production, no doubts about it. No company should ever have a monopoly on seed production. We've had scares in the past from one seed type being dominant when new diseases or pests came in and threatened crops. When we went into iraq we in fact banned seed saving and forced Iraqi farmers to buy monsanto seeds (leading to some older varieties becoming extinct or endangered). Monsanto lobbyists were in large part behind that decision. Many older varieties worldwide are in danger of extinction, either by lack of planting or cross contamination, and we simply can't afford to lose seed diversity should a new pest or disease in the future make it necessary to use these other varieties to breed a resistant variety. Up in Canada I've read reports about farmers who were not growing monsanto seeds, but, cross pollination of corn is such that their crops were contaminated heavily over time. Monsanto had agents going out and suing these farmers (personally, I'd have sued for tainting my non-GMO seed).

Furthermore, we simply don't have enough time experienced and study to know for sure the effects of some of this genetic engineering. Terminator genes, for instance, are one thing monsanto wants to use, imagine if that trait got crossed into other seeds. It could be seriously catastrophic. Inserting animal or fish genes into plants. We have no clue what the longterm effects of this tampering with genes may be. Evidence is slowly coming out though of negative health effects. The study cited above is not the first one to suggest problems with at least some GMO's.
I don't disagree with your view of Monsanto being a greedy corporation. It is a giant corporation. Enough said.

However, this whole issue of "terminator seeds" and such is much the same as the Alar Scare, and Monsanto trying to patent the pig.

No farmer anywhere is forced to buy Monsanto seeds. Monsanto is one of many companies that sells hybrid seeds.

However, if a farmer is going to buy Monsanto's RoundUp Ready Seeds, he has to sign a contract guaranteeing that he won't save back seed and plant it the next spring. That is where all these legal troubles came from.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:53 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
However, if a farmer is going to buy Monsanto's RoundUp Ready Seeds, he has to sign a contract guaranteeing that he won't save back seed and plant it the next spring. That is where all these legal troubles came from.
Monsanto has sent people out to find crops affected by cross pollination from monsanto varieties nearby and sued those growing those crops that were affected by that cross pollination. Personally, I think the castle doctrine should be extended to include such scum.

Quote:
No farmer anywhere is forced to buy Monsanto seeds. Monsanto is one of many companies that sells hybrid seeds.
Ask some Iraqi farmers what happened after the invasion.

Quote:
However, this whole issue of "terminator seeds" and such is much the same as the Alar Scare, and Monsanto trying to patent the pig.
No one knows that right now. If it does get out of control it can mean starvation and decimation of the world's plants. We don't know if it can be controlled or not. The so-called "killer bee" was one failed attempt to keep an unnatural species under control. Kudzu and many other invasive plants have caused widespread populations after scientists were convinced they would be easily controlled. The fact is we don't know what will happen in the real world until years of testing is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living