Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:01 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,479,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Right, but its a jump from "Atlantic salmon can no longer be fished" to "this is because of ballooning whale populations eating up the ocean's fish"
Whales are probably one factor. It takes a lot of food to support a whale, which will reduce the fish available. There's probably more than one factor causing this. It will probably take action in more than one way to fix this problem.

Salmon (except landlocked) were all but wiped out in Vermont, in the 1800's by damming of rivers. But they were still abundant in Maine for a long time. Even now with considerable effort to let them come to our rivers few are returning here each year. Why? It's still being studied. And with Maine's salmon...there's more at play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 01:19 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Whales are probably one factor. It takes a lot of food to support a whale, which will reduce the fish available. .
Right but whales co-existed with fish before, so unless there's a decreased predation on whales from sharks or something then its likely that the overall trend of depleted fish stocks where they exist are likely from other factors.
the only places i've seen claiming that whales are a major contributing factor was from whaling nations.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:30 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Right but whales co-existed with fish before, so unless there's a decreased predation on whales from sharks or something then its likely that the overall trend of depleted fish stocks where they exist are likely from other factors.
the only places i've seen claiming that whales are a major contributing factor was from whaling nations.
Everything is out of whack now. I don't think it can be said it will be okay. It needs to be studied. I believe some study has shown the whale population to be an important factor.

Whales were always hunted to at least some degree.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:51 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Everything is out of whack now. I don't think it can be said it will be okay. It needs to be studied. I believe some study has shown the whale population to be an important factor.

Whales were always hunted to at least some degree.
I didn't say everything will be ok. Everything is out of whack was partially my point. And saying that whales were always hunted has little to do with the industrial processes that result in modern whale populations.
But I would indeed support study of all factors of the problem. Its inherently difficult because implementing, let alone policing conservation efforts across nations and individuals in broad expanses of water is a difficult proposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living