U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 04:30 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,273,860 times

Advertisements

I always get the store plastic bags and never had anyone make a comment. And if they did, I would ask for my money back and then make a statement that I cannot type of this forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 06:56 AM

10,279 posts, read 4,856,239 times
I bring my reusable bags because they hold more and they are easier to carry up and down the stairs than a whole bunch of plastic ones where they baggers put 3 items in each bag. I just have to be careful that they aren't made too heavy since I live on the 2nd floor of a condo without an elevator.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:53 AM

71,926 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's store number two now that has it's employees give us grief because we use our own bags. I guess from their comments it's much easier for the baggers to use the plastic ones.

Anyone else?
No, actually one of our grocery stores gives you .5 off for each bag you use. Of course there is Aldi's that works on a no frills policy that doesn't even bag your groceries. You bag your own and if you do not bring in bags they charge you for providing them. This is the way many countries in Europe handle bags and bagging.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:22 PM

1,180 posts, read 389,150 times
I bring my own plastic grocery bags (plastic bags ARE reusable, like it or not) in the 1 or 2 times every couple of yeras I end up having to shop in Portland. It's worth it for the stink-eyes I get from all the insecure liberal hippie tree-huggers there because (gasp) someone's using PLASTIC bags! Oh my god! End of the world!!

Win-Co has huge plastic bags. I have a ton of them. Screw Portland's insular wants.

I guess I'm just a rebvellious heathen.

FYI, plastic grocery bags make excellent void filler in mail parcels whgen you don't have access to styrofoam popcorn.

Last edited by Ttark; 07-06-2017 at 01:50 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 04:44 PM

9,802 posts, read 5,476,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I always go to the self serve register so I can pack the way I want in the bag I want.
This seems like a good place to jump in.

I always go to the cashier line because I want a person, I want to show justification for the merchant to have a person, and since I live a loner life, interaction with everyone is vital.

BUT.....there are disadvantages in that things may not always be packed the way it is desired, such as all the frig stuff in the same bag. Questions of how much this or that can hold. What is more appropriate for bread or fruit (ie, mesh).

Finally, as I have solid cotton bags from all over from many years, I can see how it would be a problem for the store bagger as oppose to the standardized plastic or paper that the store uses.

As to the threat question, generally no. I'm in a decent vicinity of Austin, so I guess they are just accepted.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:49 AM

10,279 posts, read 4,856,239 times
When I do forget my reusable bags and use plastic, they are recycled into "scoop the litter" bags or something to carry my lunch to work. We never throw them away and if we have too many we bring them back to Publix because they have a bin for recycling them.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:31 AM

5,939 posts, read 5,295,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
(Not to change the subject, but using the self-check line puts people out of work.)
So does the ATM, self serve gas stations, etc. They may put some people out of work but entire industries are created or expanded by these things thus creating jobs.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:42 PM

5,884 posts, read 6,317,985 times
I have been using my own bags forever and any plastic bags I do get are repurposed or recycled.

When I was cashiering I never had a problem with people bringing in their own bags, the stores plastic bags were cumbersome and hard to open because they were so cheap that I wished more people did so.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:22 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,291,905 times
Why do they sell reuseable grocery bags? Because it is better for the environment, right? Well if the environment is such a concern why wouldn't they eliminate the free plastic bags all together? Make customers pay for the reuseable ones which would force them to bring them back each time or else they would have to buy them all over again.

I find it odd that people think we are doing all we can for the environment just because we offer things such as reuseable bags or we reduce the emissions on fossil fueled vehicles, etc, etc.. For example, If we have reusable bags, make all others obsolete. If we have electric cars, make fossil fueled cars obsolete. If technology is so important why do we not replace the old technology? It seems all we do is to mask the old technology with the new to appear we are doing all we can.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:56 AM

6,105 posts, read 7,258,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Thank you for posting that. I get so tired of trying to explain that self checkout does NOT take away jobs but people ignore it and just go on believing stuff that's not true.
Some of the groceries in my area seem to be getting away from the self check. Maybe it isn't working out so well for the bottom line. I was in Stop & Shop yesterday and every self check line was closed and there were more checkers and lines open than I can remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living