U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:54 PM

20,413 posts, read 37,792,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
When I first moved to Texas about 14 years ago, I wasn't even allowed to bring my bags into the stores, let alone use them. The stores actually wouldn't allow me to bring in - I guess they were afraid I'd fill them and bypass the checkout on the way out or something. This was quite a surprise, because the stores in rural Kentucky where I had moved from didn't seem to mind. These were some nice canvas bags that I had used in Germany and bought on the base there. They were about the size of a paper grocery bag if I remember right. Now, none of the stores I go to give me any grief about it, even if I bring another store's bags. I like the reusable bags better because they can hold so much more, although I was kind of disappointed in the last two bags I just picked up at WM. They seemed more flimsy than the first generation bags I got from there about a year or so ago.

I didn't know that about Target deducting 5 cents off the total for every bag you bring in. Does that only apply to Super Targets? I wish I had one of those around here.

Blessings,
pnc
Well, I've been occasionally using my own bags in Texas since at least the early 1980's (earlier than that considerably in some stores). No one ever gave me any trouble about them other than asking where they could get some of their own (back before they were readily available everywhere).

Where in Texas did you move to 14 years ago that this happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 05:05 PM
dgz

800 posts, read 3,005,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's store number two now that has it's employees give us grief because we use our own bags. I guess from their comments it's much easier for the baggers to use the plastic ones.

Anyone else?
I've only had this at a few stores. I think they take that attitude because you're asking them to do something that varies slightly from their routine. I just look back at them as if to say: 'Get used to it. I'm not going back to plastic bags just because you don't want to make a minor change to one of your job tasks.'

The stores should be teaching their employees how to work with reusable bags. But if they're not, then we as customers should teach them--one visit at a time.

Some stores have been great about it though. I've had no problems using my reusable bags at the local Krogers, Tom Thumb, CVS, Walgreens, Sprouts, Petsmart, PetCo, etc.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:23 AM

8,648 posts, read 15,292,423 times
Question..... How many bags do you people own? I ask because when my wife goes shopping she comes home with 20 to 30 bags of stuff... Today she only came home with about 15 bags of stuff...

So, how many bags do you know to take in with you?

Do you take in 30 or so bags and fill what's needed and bring out the others empty? Or do you just shop for one or two days at a time?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:11 AM

I usually take in 3 bags (but I shop weekly, for only two people) - one insulated one for cold things, two for canned items and "other".

I'm trying to imagine needing 30 bags. Is she taking back the plastic ones the store provides, or some really tiny reusable ones, or how often does she shop?

Sometimes all the bags I take in won't be needed. Not a big deal.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I usually take in 3 bags (but I shop weekly, for only two people) - one insulated one for cold things, two for canned items and "other".

I'm trying to imagine needing 30 bags. Is she taking back the plastic ones the store provides, or some really tiny reusable ones, or how often does she shop?

Sometimes all the bags I take in won't be needed. Not a big deal.
It's the wal mart plastic bags... and no she does not take them back... but we use them as trash can liners tho.

It takes me five trips to the car just to bring in what she buys...LOL..

She goes shopping to restock about every other week..

But, We also have three grandkids that stay with us 80% of the time... Their mother works nights...

But...we buy like 2 gallons of milk and 2 loaves of bread at a time...and that will last about a week a round here..

Last edited by Houston3; 02-08-2010 at 11:02 AM..

Old 02-08-2010, 12:35 PM

2,449 posts, read 4,811,207 times
I haven't gotten any grief.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:04 PM

Okay, the Walmart (or grocery store) plastic ones hold a LOT less than the reusable ones that I use, which hold as much (the smallest) as a regular-sized (in the good old days) paper grocery sack. A couple of the insulated ones hold more than that.

So, figure 4 or 5 of the plastic store ones per one reusable one.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:51 PM

[quote=TexasHorseLady;12811104]Okay, the Walmart (or grocery store) plastic ones hold a LOT less than the reusable ones that I use, which hold as much (the smallest) as a regular-sized (in the good old days) paper grocery sack. A couple of the insulated ones hold more than that.

So, figure 4 or 5 of the plastic store ones per one reusable one.[/QUOTE]

Those are a pretty good size..

Old 02-08-2010, 02:06 PM

They are, but, also, the stores tend to not put a whole lot in each of the plastic store bags. If I'm bagging, I get a LOT more in those little bags than they do!

They're not too heavy for me, and I'm 60 and 5'2" tall (though, of course, I do have horses and am used to throwing hay bales around).

Old 02-08-2010, 03:49 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,623,512 times
Then again even before reusable bags they all told me that I was one of the few that actually loaded things onto the belt in order that it should be bagged. I put all of the cold stuff first. All of the boxed items next followed by canned goods.

I always put it on the belt in a similar fashion and have even trained the dh too! But before the breads & eggs I throw on the cleaners and "other" stuff I picked up.

We own about 15 or so of the bags now. I keep about 4 insulated ones - I do have to rotate in and out - if they get worn out, a strap or zipper breaks, etc. I wash them about once a month. It wears them out quicker, but I'm just like that .

We grocery shop every 3 weeks or so, which includes toiletries & other household stuff/cleaners, etc. If it's a TP/Paper Towel plus soda month, then we use at least two carts. (I buy enough of those things to last 2 months at a time, generally speaking). We use about 10-12 bags for the big trip. I keep a couple extras in the house, separate from the ones I use for grocery shopping as well. I do all our "big" shopping at a Super store, but the "in between" produce and other perishables we pick up at a regular grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living