U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:19 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,641,416 times

Advertisements

Nope, never had a problem. I've got bags that have pictures of the Simpsons characters on them and everybody gets a bit of a laugh. Especially considering the fact that I'm not exactly in their target audiance age-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 PM
dgz

800 posts, read 3,005,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Question..... How many bags do you people own? I ask because when my wife goes shopping she comes home with 20 to 30 bags of stuff... Today she only came home with about 15 bags of stuff...

So, how many bags do you know to take in with you?

Do you take in 30 or so bags and fill what's needed and bring out the others empty? Or do you just shop for one or two days at a time?
I have about 10 bags, which have various store names on them. (I have no problem with asking the cashier to load up a 'CVS' reusable bag at Walgreens. )

When I go grocery shopping, I try to estimate how many I'll need, which is usually about 6 or 7. And sometimes, I'm off by 1 bag.

20-30 bags would be a lot more difficult to gauge.

Last edited by dgz; 02-09-2010 at 02:01 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 01:29 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,471,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've got bags that have pictures of the Simpsons characters on them and everybody gets a bit of a laugh.
Where did you get your bags? Love to have something different for mine too!

Old 02-10-2010, 12:24 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,641,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Where did you get your bags? Love to have something different for mine too!
Amazon.com

There are a lot of fun bags out there. Google "reusuable bags" and you'll get started.

I also have the U.N. World Food Programmes FEED bag. It's $59.95 but the proceeds feed a needy child for one school year. They are also doing one to help Haiti now. So it's a good cause and a really nice bag!

feedprojects.com

Old 02-10-2010, 03:46 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,471,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Amazon.com

There are a lot of fun bags out there. Google "reusuable bags" and you'll get started.

I also have the U.N. World Food Programmes FEED bag. It's $59.95 but the proceeds feed a needy child for one school year. They are also doing one to help Haiti now. So it's a good cause and a really nice bag!

feedprojects.com
sweet! I'll be in reuseable bag nirvana for a while. thanks!

Old 02-10-2010, 04:01 PM

960 posts, read 2,255,806 times
The only place I have trouble is a enclosed farmers market in my area. You actually have to "check" you bags in before shopping and then "check" them out during check-out. I find this more of an inconvenience but I suppose its done to prevent theft.

I will probably purchase the Reusable.com bags that are a bundled into a pouch so they can be carried in a pocket or something. Plus, this will take up less space in my car as I currently have a large TJ's freezer cooler, TJ's mock plastic bags and several Whole Food's paper bags.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:47 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,632,619 times
I don't normally get too much grief using my own shopping bags, no matter which store I'm at or what store's bags I have with me. I have about 10 different store's resuable bags and I take whichever ones are handy at the time. BUT, I do get a little bit of grief because I pre-bag my groceries while I'm shopping and the clerks can never seem to get all my stuff back into the same amount of bags... which is how I ended up with so many different store's bags LOL.

The only reason I even pre-bag my stuff is so I can 1) keep like with like (and chemicals away from my edibles!), 2) keep stuff that's OK to freeze separate from stuff that can't get frozen (I drive a pickup in Alaska, anything in the bed will be frozen by the time I get home), 3) make sure everything I buy will fit in the vehicle properly. So I show up with 20 full bags and two empties, hand the clerk the empties, unload the first bag for them to ring up, then those empties can be used for the next batch and so on... but somehow, they can never seem to get the bags packed back correctly and I end up needing to buy another reusuable bag (because the crappy plastic ones explode in seconds when it's -30F) or finding a frozen (and busted!) jar of something in one of the bags by the time I get home.

The only thing I really get any grief over are my reusable mesh produce bags, even though I don't ask them to adjust the tare on the scales (my zippered mesh bags are certainly heavier than the plastic ones). I really don't know what this is all about... maybe it's just too foreign and they're worried about getting shorted or something? Occasionally I get hassled for using my own container for bulk stuff, but most of the places that sell unpackaged bulk foods are pretty laid back... I mean, it's not like I'm going to be able to leave the store with a 5 gallon bucket of rice I didn't pay for or anything, so who cares whether it's in their bag or my bucket?

(oh yeah, I have about 30 resusable shopping bags and 10 reusable mesh bags... but I also only go shopping every 3-4 months )

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 02-13-2010 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: Adding footnote

Old 02-14-2010, 09:23 AM

511 posts, read 1,983,348 times
I used to work as a checker at a large chain, before the "green bag movement". A few people would bring in their own bags from time to time, and also a few people would ask for paper or double paper from time to time. I would never ever even think of telling a customer to "get in another line" or "you can't use your own bags" or anything like that. I can't imagine!

Looking back however, I can see where I may have come across as huffy to the customers... not because I was trying to give them a hard time or trying to be rude or was annoyed with them, but because I would tense up when bagging a canvas bag/paper bag order. The managers were CONSTANTLY breathing down our necks to be faster faster faster at bagging/checking out, and often a paper/canvas order would slow things up pretty badly. I hate to think I ever came across as huffy though I was one of the checkers that customers usually sought out because I was always very polite & friendly.

I know that many customers may be just as fast at bagging paper/canvas as they are at bagging plastic, but not so with the checkers where I worked. When an order with paper/canvas bags came through, things slowed down. It was akward to fit paper/canvas in the plastic bag stand, took more time to arrange the items in the bag so they wouldn't get crushed, and the bags were heavier (in the case of paper, the customers would usually say to stuff them full, often telling us exactly what they wanted in each bag, and then when the bag was lifted into the cart it would tear). The other customers in line would grumble as soon as they saw the canvas/paper and the manager would often roll his eyes.

Management went to great lengths at training the checkers the best, and fastest way to bag plastic bags... they also set limits on how many items should be in a sinlge plastic bag on average. You were not allowed to bag milk, soda, or other large items unless the customer asked. You were not allowed to bag items in paper unless the customer asked for it. So naturally, we were all much slower at bagging paper/canvas as opposed to plastic. These days, I'm sure they train checkers from the get-go how to bag quickly in green bags... at least, I would hope they do seeing as they now sell the bags...

Personally, I use plastic when I go shopping. I own a few of the green bags, but I find them akward & don't like filling them up all the way, so I'd need a ton of them for my once-per-month shopping trip... not to mention when I do intend to use them I end up forgetting to put them in the car before I go. We do re-use the plastic bags for many things, garbage bags, changing the cat box, packing material, ect.

Maybe I'll give them another try though, next time I go on a small shopping trip.

On a last note as a customer's point of view, now that I'm no longer checking... I get really annoyed with clerks when they bag the eggs and the bread with cans... or frozen juice with the bananas... or the produce with the leaky package of ground beef... Some of the combos I find when I'm unpacking at home make me pretty ticked. When I try to bag my own groceries, they do give me a hard time. I've had baggers ask more than three times if I'd like them to bag for me... Each time, "No thankyou."... They still stand there and hover over me while I bag everything up and load it into the cart.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:39 PM

37,088 posts, read 45,594,679 times
I only have bags from a certain store, but I use them at any number of other stores without incident. I always take one fewer in than I need...never fails.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:34 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,632,619 times
I remember back in the day when baggers were really good and conscious about packing things properly so nothing got squished, broken, leaked on, contaminated, etc. Every once in a while you still find one of these checkers, but they're becoming increasingly rare. I always offer to help them bag, especially since I normally have two full carts to ring up when I do my shopping expeditions. I know it's going to take a long time to get through all that stuff, so I'm not in a hurry or rushing the checker. I've even had them just put stuff unbagged in an empty cart and go off to the side afterwards and bag it myself if they store is really busy.

And I always let folks with just a few things go ahead of me... even if there are 10 of them! I've even added some people's stuff to my order if they just had one or two things and have been waiting a long time because only one checkstand is open
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living