U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:59 PM

723 posts, read 1,097,758 times

Advertisements

I usually take 3 of them with me to the store and fill up all 3 ( or 2 plus some in the 3rd bag. ) They are very large bags and I can put about 25-30# worth of food in each one.

I have actually thought about this question myself a few times after seeing people in the store struggle with the plastic or paper bags tearing, not able to put much into them, etc.

The local grocery store I shop at, you bag all your own groceries anyway, so you are face-to-face with other store shoppers at the end of the belt after the cashier scans them.

I am waiting for someone to give me any grief about bringing my own recycled bags in. They will certainly get an earful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 11:29 PM

20 posts, read 44,531 times
I switch between two stores, one where the customer bags their own purchases. I like it because I can put everything where I want it, in whatever bags I have, and since they have 2 belts at each checkout, I am not in as much of a rush to get everything into my cart and out of the store.

I am wondering about mesh produce bags. Has anyone ever been hassled for them? I want to start using them, but I also dont want to be a hassle.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:19 AM

4,805 posts, read 20,242,216 times
Quote:
It's store number two now that has it's employees give us grief because we use our own bags. I guess from their comments it's much easier for the baggers to use the plastic ones.

Anyone else?
Yes, here they just implemented a bag tax so most people bring their own bags now. And most store clerks use it as an excuse not to do that part of their job. I haven't seen any refuse because of the store name on the bag, they seem to just object to all bags now.

No one gets to keep their bags in their cars here though. Being an urban city most people walk or take transit. We have to carry all of our supplies and our purchases on our backs. So we've had to add the bulk and weight of carrying a half dozen reusable bags to our repertoire of reusable water bottles and everything else we need for the day. Yes, reusable bags carry more than plastic ones. But on my trip to the store yesterday it took seven bags to get it all home. We're like pack mules now.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellewrong View Post
I switch between two stores, one where the customer bags their own purchases. I like it because I can put everything where I want it, in whatever bags I have, and since they have 2 belts at each checkout, I am not in as much of a rush to get everything into my cart and out of the store.

I am wondering about mesh produce bags. Has anyone ever been hassled for them? I want to start using them, but I also dont want to be a hassle.
Mesh produce bags? Hmm, haven't heard of them--can you elaborate on what they are?

Old 03-15-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Yes, here they just implemented a bag tax so most people bring their own bags now. And most store clerks use it as an excuse not to do that part of their job. I haven't seen any refuse because of the store name on the bag, they seem to just object to all bags now.

No one gets to keep their bags in their cars here though. Being an urban city most people walk or take transit. We have to carry all of our supplies and our purchases on our backs. So we've had to add the bulk and weight of carrying a half dozen reusable bags to our repertoire of reusable water bottles and everything else we need for the day. Yes, reusable bags carry more than plastic ones. But on my trip to the store yesterday it took seven bags to get it all home. We're like pack mules now.
wow, that would be great if they implemented the bag tax everywhere! I'm not necessarily for taxing everything, but those plastic bags--I've left the store before and you'll see them littering the parking lot, left in grocery carts, even a few blocks away blowing in the wind. They really should enforce "bring your own bag" at all grocery stores IMO. I actually use 3 or 4 "Fred Meyer"--sorta like a Target-type of store here, but sells groceries too, and as well as a "Walgreens" reuseable bag too when I go to WinCo Foods, or Safeway, etc and they won't ask me about it. WinCo will actually deduct 6 cents off each bag you bring in--including if you brought in your own plastic or paper bags--you just have to let the cashier know before you get to the end of the belt ( so they know you didn't just pick it out of the plastic/paper bag section at the end of the belt ) but those bags are great!!

You can store about 20-25# and sometimes even more in one of them--never worry about it tearing--I've put a gallon of milk, a bottle of clorox, 12# box of laundry soap, and 10 large-canned foods in one bag before and it worked great. You'd never accomplish that with a paper, much less plastic bag w/o it going through the bottom

Old 03-15-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post

kodaka: can you share with us, which store uses a "bag tax" in your area?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:22 AM

8,341 posts, read 14,104,968 times
The only time I have even gotten grief is at Wal-Mart; then again, I get grief just for walking up to the cashier at Wal-Mart. I give myself grief for shopping at Wal-Mart in fact.

When I go to Trader Joe's or Georgetown Market, I get a "thank you." When I go to Marsh, I get a discount.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:58 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
Mesh produce bags? Hmm, haven't heard of them--can you elaborate on what they are?
They're small washable bags (I usually see them zippered) that you use for produce instead of the plastic ones.

Amazon.com: Organic Cotton Reusable Mesh Produce Bag: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Cotton-Reusable-Mesh-Produce/dp/B002TK90Y6 - broken link)

I've seen them in cotton, hemp and similar materials, as well as nylon and recycled stuff. I got my mom some handmade bags from Etsy for her birthday.

I have several bags from Baggu, and they now make produce bags too (scroll to the bottom).

BAGGU

Old 03-15-2010, 08:17 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,396,462 times
The one store I have shopped at (but I can't walk to), they don't even USE bags--unless you want to buy them.

The other stores, if I'm buying a large number of items, I bring in my gym bag to carry everything in, making sure it's completely empty. Don't want to be accused of taking anything. And the only comment made is: "You're going to carry all that?"

Old 03-15-2010, 09:51 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,429,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's store number two now that has it's employees give us grief because we use our own bags. I guess from their comments it's much easier for the baggers to use the plastic ones.

Anyone else?
Never seen that.

Personally, what people want to use is their own choice. If people want to bring their own bags, more power to them.

I use plastic because it is easier. On average, I would need around 30-40 bags per visit. Around 6-8 of those bags contain a single gallon of water, a few more carry 2 liters of soda or the like. When I am unloading the car, I carry roughly 1/2 - 3/4's of my groceries in one trip. Due to plastic being thinner and more pliable than a cloth bag, I can get many more bags in one trip. Not to mention, I use the plastic for various duties around the house.

To each their own though. I see no point in demanding someone use plastic over something else (or the other way around). Some use paper for various reasons, and some use their own bags. All are individual choice and it is up to them to choose.

My problem is the people who push to force people to bring their own bags. I moved from California and when I went back there to visit, my mother said we had to bring our own bags to do any shopping. We were buying a lot for a family dinner and she had only a small amount of bags for her own use. The result was having to buy several more bags for a one time use that cost around 20 dollars.

They tried that here in Texas where I live and we shot it down really fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living