Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:13 PM

780 posts, read 1,343,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The only time I have even gotten grief is at Wal-Mart; then again, I get grief just for walking up to the cashier at Wal-Mart. I give myself grief for shopping at Wal-Mart in fact.
LOL that's funny! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 09:12 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
I actually had to argue with a woman about not putting something in a bag at all. I mean really argue! And it was a small store, with the door right next to the registers, so it wasn't a case of "others will think you stole it." Strange, very strange.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:46 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I actually had to argue with a woman about not putting something in a bag at all. I mean really argue! And it was a small store, with the door right next to the registers, so it wasn't a case of "others will think you stole it." Strange, very strange.
OMG, I know!!

"No. No Really. It's just a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk. I can carry it. I don't need a bag. No. Really!"

Old 03-18-2010, 04:15 PM

780 posts, read 1,343,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Yeah, or something like a 6 pc. pack of Wrigley's gum. that was all they literally bought--and then they had trouble trying to get the plastic bag opened up and I thought to myself, "someone's trying to tell you something there!" I've seen that before. It's like "what, you couldn't put that in your pocket if it's going to be that difficult to carry?" The nerve of some people.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:08 AM

117 posts, read 392,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
. . .

Now, I have had customers behind me get ticked because I had my own bags. They give me this look like I'm holding them up or something when it really doesn't take any longer for the checker to check me out and bag my stuff in the reusable bags than plastic. As a matter of fact it is probably quicker as they use LESS BAGS! Most reusable bags have a little loop on the side for the checker to put onto the hook on the plastic bag holder to keep them open as they bag stuff. Actually makes it easy. I just smile at the people behind me when I get the dirty look for having my bags. I actually think it is funny when I then walk out to either my Suburban or any of my other "gas guzzler" cars (in their eyes) with my reusable bags and they get in a Prius with PLASTIC BAGS! LMAO!!!!!
There's actually nothing all that amusing about this. Drivers in a Prius that are not eco-conscious nor care about litter and such are quite annoying, and even hypocritical. I am friends with a woman that drives a Prius. I made the fatal error of concluding she was enviro-friendly. Rather, she would cut off her pretty hair than recycle ANYTHING. I'm quite appalled. I have even offered to haul off the recycled items. As well, when she goes to the store, she double bags EVERYTHING, and has some lousy OCD condition that keeps her from reusing grocery bags. You'd think I'd asked her for an ovary when I ask her to set aside the grocery bags after she gets home so I can have them.

This same OCD condition keeps her from using regular cloth towels for drying hands and she goes through a roll of paper towels a week . . . I just don't have the fortitude to tell my best friend the environmentalist about her. This is an aspect the government just doesn't consider when handing down indiscriminate legislation. Mental instabilities. They also don't take into account that sometimes the stores are to blame for over use of plastic bags; such as stores that annoyingly pack one item into one bag, no matter what.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:25 AM

117 posts, read 392,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
I have about 10 bags, which have various store names on them. (I have no problem with asking the cashier to load up a 'CVS' reusable bag at Walgreens. ) . . .
I love taking the competing store's bag into another. Or if I get something stylish in a color from some other store

Old 07-03-2017, 04:02 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Aldi doesnt even give out bags, you can buy one for a few cents. I guess some stores insist on giving them out for advertising. A store near me opened last year and gave away cloth bags. I usually put everything in a backpack for biking.

Last edited by pvande55; 07-03-2017 at 04:28 AM.. Reason: Add line

Old 07-03-2017, 06:36 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
What I'm about to say here may be considered sacrilegious to the average TreeHugger, so please look away if your delicate sensibilities are apt to be injured:

--plastic bags aren't all that eco-unfriendly anymore. They are, after all carbon based, made from propane or ethane, components of natural gas, often merely "burned off" as waste in the past in the oil fields. An additive is now included that speeds along their eventual degradation, returning their carbon content to the biosphere. They do have certain advantages and disadvantages in terms of energy costs compared to paper bags, the gold standard of recyclable products. Plastic bags are in fact also recyclable. http://www.interplas.com/packaging-e...e-plastic-bags

Using your own cloth bags repeatedly obviously avoids the energy expenditure of manufacturing or recycling paper or plastic for each use, but compared to total energy expenditure of our civilization, it's hardly worth worrying about.

Plant a tree, or better yet, buy up some wilderness for preservation if you want to really help the environment. Loss of habitat is the biggest problem facing Mother Nature.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:42 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
If you want even more *eye rolling* ...
When they ask if you want paper or plastic ..
Tell them you are Bi-sack-sual .....

Aw forget it ...

every time I see or hear those two words together...reminds me of a time at our (now closed) small town grocer where they insisted on having the bag boy cart your groceries out to the car for you. Now this particular bag boy was not much for conversation and a bit mentally challenged but a nice enough and pleasant young man. As he was handing me the bags, which I was bent over and stacking inside the back seat, he smacked me hard on the side of my head with a gallon jug of milk. It made an audible "BONK" sound and he had to have heard it, Mrs. G certainly did and she was in the front seat trying to suppress her laughter. As if on cue, the bonk was followed by bag boy guy muttering quite distinctly; "Paper or Plastic?" I couldn't do anything at that point but thank him as the "BONK" sound was still ringing in my ears.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:36 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
As a cashier this is a really interesting thread. Glad it was brought back!

I have no problem with people bringing their own bags because I get tired of dealing with those plastic ones. They are hard to open and sometimes come off 1/2 dozen at a time which means I have to take precious time to put them back on! There are certain bags I don't care for...the mesh/net ones for one. The more 'solid' bottom ones are so much easier to work with but they have their pros and cons. The reusable bags are generally pretty large and it's soooo easy to over load them. I am conscious of this all the time and do my best to divide the items up while still keeping things that go together all together. Who says being a cashier is easy?? lol

I love, love, love my customers who put their items on the belt the way I like to bag them. And I tell them so. I also love the ones who remove any hangars they don't want to keep. I also love the ones who don't trust me enough to bag correctly for THEM and bag their own stuff. lol I used to get insulted because that's what I believed but now I know they are just as anal about it as I am and, besides, it goes realllly fast when they bag their own. And they are nice enough to not tell me that they "really should get a discount" for doing it. I hear that on self checkout all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living