Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:55 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

It's store number two now that has it's employees give us grief because we use our own bags. I guess from their comments it's much easier for the baggers to use the plastic ones.

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 09:41 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Yeah, they roll their eyes or give you the scoff... Like we just ruined their day hahah

Old 02-02-2010, 10:22 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's store number two now that has it's employees give us grief because we use our own bags. I guess from their comments it's much easier for the baggers to use the plastic ones.

Anyone else?
Most grocery stores here are more than happy for you to use your own bags. In fact, Bi-Lo gives you a $.05 discount for each bag you bring & use & CVS has a tag that you buy for $.99, but every time you use it, they scan it, and for every 4 uses they give you a $1 back in store credit. Publix sometimes even has in-ad coupons paired with certain grocery items that get you a reusable bag free.

I don't see why it's 'easier' anyway because you can typically fit a lot more in a reusable bag than plastic.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:16 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Just don't do like my customer the other day, she handed me her bag after I had already placed her purchase in a plastic shopping bag. Had to take it all back out again. PITA

Plastic is probably easier to use because the bags sit in their own little stand and don't have to be held open, or take up counter space. But jeez, it's not that much more difficult, you shouldn't be getting eyes rolled at you. Maybe a word to the store manager would be in order.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,588 times
Never been given attitude, in fact, I was in a store once that knocked off a nickel a bag off your total price.

When I was in college, however, at the dorm, I never took my own bags. I gladly used their bags as opposed to buying garbage bags.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Nope, not even when I ask them to tare the containers I bring to fill from the bulk bins. Everyone has always been happy to do it.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Anyone else?
Nope, sounds silly if you ask me. Of course, you are talking about minimum wage employees who are usually "school kid" age with maturity to match. I have had grocery "checkers" ask me where my bags were or why I didn't bring them though.

When shoppers use their own bags it saves the store $$ that can be then returned to the shoppers in the way of lower food prices.

When I forget my bags I usually request paper instead of plastic anyway, which itself, gets eye-rolls.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I've never had this issue. In fact, like others, I know of stores that give you a nickle off for every bag of your own you bring, and most of them sell re-usable bags for a pittance these days, and don't even give you grief when you use some OTHER store's re-usable bags.

Now, I can see if you let them bag everything and then wanted them to re-bag them in your own after the fact - that would be rude (on the shopper's part) and worthy of being given grief - but not just for using your own re-usable bags.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:49 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,429 times
Nope. Like a few other people here, I get money off. ShopRite .05 per bag/A&P .02 per bag. No one seems to mind - and I really do manage to fit so much more into my reuseable bag when compared to their tiny plastic bags.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:33 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
If you want even more *eye rolling* ...
When they ask if you want paper or plastic ..
Tell them you are Bi-sack-sual .....

Aw forget it ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living