Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 06:36 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,641,305 times

Advertisements

I always go to the self serve register so I can pack the way I want in the bag I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 07:34 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
I was chided in a funny way by co workers because my car trunk has a plethora of cloth bags.! I stored things in some and the others are for shopping ! They range in size,handles and even type of insulation.
I dread going to our 'poor man's market", and seeing folks having to count out their meager change to pay for a plastic bag. So I often have a few of them socked away and I hand them out . That 1$ saved helped them buy a loaf of bread or some eggs. May not seem much to some...But it meant a meal for that person...

Old 07-04-2017, 11:38 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,101,913 times
Seems like so many checkout employees are automated to pull out a bag. Carry on a conversation with them and they start shoving your goods into a bag if you're not careful or paying attention.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:04 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
I have never had the types of problem people in this thread have encountered, but then I don't live in the U.S.

I just bring a bunch of bags, which I save in the trunk of my car. I pack my own stuff and use my own bags, no problems. In most supermarkets and many mini-markets you pay for bags if you do not bring your own.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:48 AM

7,234 posts, read 5,110,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I was chided in a funny way by co workers because my car trunk has a plethora of cloth bags.! I stored things in some and the others are for shopping ! They range in size,handles and even type of insulation.
I dread going to our 'poor man's market", and seeing folks having to count out their meager change to pay for a plastic bag. So I often have a few of them socked away and I hand them out . That 1$ saved helped them buy a loaf of bread or some eggs. May not seem much to some...But it meant a meal for that person...
Good for you. Your action has actual meaning and is not just a gesture.

We either bring them back in for recycling or leave a pile at Aldi for others to re-use.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
The checkout people here have been fine with using our bags, the problem is with the self-check, which I prefer. You place your bag down and it says "please remove unchecked item", and the only way around it is to either call over an employee to override it, or scan place all the items down and then wait until after paying to transfer them to your bag. Then you get a nasty voice saying "please remove your items" before you finish. We no longer use our own bags unless in a city with plastic bag bans, and then will just pay the nickel for a paper bag.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:01 PM

7,234 posts, read 5,110,683 times
(Not to change the subject, but using the self-check line puts people out of work.)

Old 07-05-2017, 07:37 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
(Not to change the subject, but using the self-check line puts people out of work.)
Lol!! No self check out machine has ever said....your fired!! So I doubt that it put the ppl that repairs them,or those who update the software out of a job. But I digress,would you like paper or plastic to toss your inaccurate opinion in?

Old 07-05-2017, 07:54 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

It does not. Somebody has to monitor the things which means "somebody" has a job. They require more than one person to do it since they are open so many hours 7 days a week. They allow people to work who otherwise might not be able to due to physical limitations. It's not like self check is going to run itself and if you think people get frustrated with them, even having help, heaven forbid if they didn't!

Old 07-05-2017, 07:57 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Lol!! No self check out machine has ever said....your fired!! So I doubt that it put the ppl that repairs them,or those who update the software out of a job. But I digress,would you like paper or plastic to toss your inaccurate opinion in?

Thank you for posting that. I get so tired of trying to explain that self checkout does NOT take away jobs but people ignore it and just go on believing stuff that's not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living