Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

First time I ever saw one of these was in Italy. 1973. Two footprints in the concrete.

Not clean. Not pleasant. No thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 04:29 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
I'm going to SE Asia in May and I can say that it will certainly be an interesting experience for me. I built my stomach and insides up to handle all sorts of food, but what I am worried about the most is getting the runs and accidentally painting myself a different color =/

I may try it once, just to say I did. lol.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
You can green up your existing commode with water bottles in the tank, only flushing when it's brown, etc...

Old 02-25-2010, 12:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
To Jordan: If you are wearing pants and you will be doing some actual squatting, roll the cuffs up to your knees before you even attempt to use one of these.

You're welcome.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:58 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
To Jordan: If you are wearing pants and you will be doing some actual squatting, roll the cuffs up to your knees before you even attempt to use one of these.

You're welcome.

Ohhh jeez, that was a horrid mental image!

DAMN YOU, OVERACTIVE IMAGINATION!!! *shakes fist*

Old 02-25-2010, 05:52 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You can green up your existing commode with water bottles in the tank, only flushing when it's brown, etc...
I'll pass on that for now.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:47 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff9 View Post
Yes squat toilets are greener but they aren't near as comfortable. You can get the best of both worlds by buying a Hand Bidet Sprayer from www.bathroomsprayers.com. With these you don't even need toilet paper any more, just a towel to dry off! Don’t worry, you can still leave some out for guests and can even make it the soft stuff without feeling guilty. It's cheap and can be installed without a plumber; and runs off the same water line to your toilet. You'll probably pay for it in a few months of toilet paper savings.
But what about cleaning the stinky towels more often?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:12 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff9 View Post
...It's cheap and can be installed without a plumber; and runs off the same water line to your toilet. You'll probably pay for it in a few months of toilet paper savings.
And with a little upward pressure it can be used as an enema.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:59 PM

152 posts, read 116,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ichela View Post
I have studied toilets after watch blood sweat and t-shirts on Planet Green. seems these eastern countries use a squat toilet instead of the American sit down toiler. After browsing many sites on availability of these in the U.S, Yes, American Standard makes them for U.S markets. I was interested because of several things.

1. You don't use Toilet paper in these!
2. They use very little water

While there is some negatives, One of which is that they are hard for people with arthritus or bad knees to use. Forget the wheelchair bound person. Unless one could put a sit down stand on top of one! Which defeats the whole purpose of easy waste removal. Seems humans are designed to squat to pee and poo.Some doctors say this "natural" waste elimination position has better health impacts on the colon and hemroidial tissues.

You don't put TP in these as they handle poo and pee only. TP can clog them up! In many countries you use a hand sprayer to spray your bottom while cleaning it with the left hand. UGH! Some of these setups use buckets of water instead.

My question. Are these things really greener than the sit down American design? Has anyone actually used one? Would you consider one for an American home?
I think, like most toilets, they are white. What are you thinking - that whether you dump sitting or squatting will make any difference.

Just do what I do. Every week I burn 10s of tons of scrap wood and wood products that I get from local orchards, tree surgeons etc., I burn it in my charcoal pit that I used to make high-end BBQ charcoal (not briquettes).

I release tons of CO2 into the air every week, and as you know, or should, CO2 is plant food. I make a diffence.

MahiAhiOno

Old 03-23-2010, 09:31 PM

792 posts, read 2,324,327 times
I spent a year in Korea, where bathrooms often have squat toilets. They have the little trough with the splashguard, like the Japanese. I got used to it. When I wore loafers with low heels, squatting was not uncomfortable. But I never could bring myself to use the kind like the above poster found in Italy, where one had to actually stand in the fixture itself, which was a big porcelain square with two raised spots for the feet (I found these in France).

The day after I read this thread, I saw an "earth closet" from a century ago in a museum in Muskegon, MI, where they once were manufactured. It appears that this technology was used successfully in the past but was displaced.

The Earth Closet