Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:28 AM

65 posts, read 251,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
Squat toiley advantage - Grandma won't be sitting in there for half an hour browsing readers digest.
More than likely Grandma and Grandpa won't be using a squatter. Unless, they are in top shape with good joints. In addition, I am unsure how one can actually read the Readers Digest or any other thing in that positiion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 10:35 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
It's not only Eastern countrys.... Lots of crappers in Russia are squaters......outside ones at that! MY biggest complaint was that they could not figure out a simple hand hold on the side of the wall. Be careful of overconsumption in local adult beverages as it often results in a more liquidy discharge leading to much shoe cleaning............

Old 02-23-2010, 12:48 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Man Kind Millions of years, and still trying to figure how to relieve himself.... LOL

Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
I don't know about anybody else, but I used an outhouse growing up.

It's bad enough that toilets went to lesser water usage and don't flush properly, but there is NO WAY I would use one of these squat things the way they are described. Just no way.

I'll green up in other areas, but I like my toilet the way it is.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:55 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Whether you sit or squat when you defecate, it's not going to make a difference as far as being 'green.' It's like asking whether it would be more 'green' to start hopping on one foot rather than walking, or grunting like a Neanderthal rather than speaking a language--it won't change a thing as far as the environment is concerned.

And the only thing you'll 'gain' by not using TP is a skid mark (a nice brown stripe on the rear of your pants) and an offensive odor, which of course IS bad for everyone's environment.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Depending on where a person is at the time of need...you will have NO choice but to use the LOCAL facilities be what they may be.

As a little boy in the mid 1930's I was accustomed to the little bldg out back with the 1/2 moon window. Then my dad was building us a house with the large cement thing in back and inside the house a toilet that had the disappearing water when I pushed the lever.

A stint in Japan showed me the Japanese toilet and the saving/usage of the excrement via the honey bucket parades.

Many ex service men know of what I speak if they are from the Korea or Nam time period.

Many folks are not privy to the "squat" term or have had experiences with the usages etc.

When in Rome a person has to do as those in Rome do when nature has it's calling.

Steve

Old 02-23-2010, 09:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
But the toilet paper in a the sea rations were a very important item. It is said that one of the last things Yamamoto did while dressing in his unifrom before going on the flight to visit his troops on those pacific islands that ended in his being shotdown was to stuff some toilet paper in his pocket. Any ex-GI can relate to that.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ichela View Post
..... In many countries you use a hand sprayer to spray your bottom while cleaning it with the left hand.
No way I'm doing that any more than I would ask my wife to give birth behind a large rock or sell the house and move into a cave.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Squatting may or may not be Greener but it is certainly browner.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:04 AM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Default Personally, I'd Rather Sit

I'd be more concerned about the transaction going into the toilet to be flushed as opposed to whether a toilet is green or not. If you've got to go badly, there is one issue more pressing than how a toilet is made. Just make danged sure the waste du jour is gone after you flush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living