Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:20 PM

50 posts, read 226,437 times

Advertisements

thanks to prompting from Harry Chickpea, I did the math on the amount of rainwater that can be generated by my new roof-to-be, and quickly saw that the 2 55-gallon rain barrels proposed by my contractor would be woefully inadequate. Sooooo, I'm buying a 1000 gallon concrete cistern from a local septic company, but am finding the necessary piping equipment rather on the pricey side. Any ideas on how to cut some $ here, or is there a way to just put in the cistern, run a stub pipe to the surface and wait a little bit until I can afford to put in the proper pump? TIA,

Gatti
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 02:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Do you mean the piping to get the water into the cistern or to pump it out?

As far as input: My 70 yr. old cistern has the gutter downspouts (with diverts) running into PVC pipes #40 IIRC (replaced old cast iron) that run into the side wall about 3/4 the way up and empty in.

The downspout diverts are not cheap. However, you do not want the first part of the rain going in the cistern, you want the roof to wash and then divert the clean rainwater into the cistern.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:45 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Not to be a smart pants here but there are many questions that you need to ask ,and understand, before you put any money into a rainwater harvesting system.

This is one possible source of tanks...... Bushman Rainwater Harvesting & Storage Systems

These two google pages have a wealth of info to digest......
rainwater harvesting tanks - Google Search

This page is mostly from the Australian view since water there is a real issue so they know how to install & use rain water very well......
how to install rain water tank - Google Search

To go on the cheap for anything one needs to replace money with a deep knowledge of what it is that want to do. So the more YOU know the less it's likely to cost you.

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 04-01-2010 at 03:01 PM..

Old 04-01-2010, 07:50 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatti View Post
thanks to prompting from Harry Chickpea, I did the math on the amount of rainwater that can be generated by my new roof-to-be, and quickly saw that the 2 55-gallon rain barrels proposed by my contractor would be woefully inadequate. Sooooo, I'm buying a 1000 gallon concrete cistern from a local septic company, but am finding the necessary piping equipment rather on the pricey side. Any ideas on how to cut some $ here, or is there a way to just put in the cistern, run a stub pipe to the surface and wait a little bit until I can afford to put in the proper pump? TIA,

Gatti
What, exactly, are you wanting to do with this rainwater? I'm probably missing something that you already wrote, but it seems to me that your intended purpose makes quite a difference.

Also, are you sure that in your area you're allowed to "harvest" rainwater? There are states that don't allow it.

Regarding money... If it was my deal, I'd look into buying a plastic tank, such as the ones on this site. Plastic Water Tanks - Poly Water Storage Tanks

Years ago I buried a 1,500 gallon poly tank on our acreage. We had a "weak" well that was less than stellar in the dry summer months. When necessary I'd haul water from town, fill the tank and just use it like a well. Plumbing it in was really not difficult at all.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:06 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
If CHEAP was the key word, consider a used above ground pool.

These are often listed as "Free" on Craigslist.org

Old 04-02-2010, 09:04 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Getting the water out on the cheap-

Submersible sump pump from Harbor Freight. Garden hose.

Getting the water in on the cheap-

PAINTED PVC pipe. PVC pipe has little UV resistance and deteriorates quickly above ground.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Getting the water out on the cheap-

Submersible sump pump from Harbor Freight. Garden hose.

Getting the water in on the cheap-

PAINTED PVC pipe. PVC pipe has little UV resistance and deteriorates quickly above ground.
I guess I assumed the cistern would be buried and thus so would the pvc pipes going into it when I posted my comment.

Is this to be used for house water (both grey & drinking) or exclusively outdoor/garden water?

Old 04-07-2010, 10:08 AM

This book might be helpfull to the OP

Amazon.com: Rainwater Collection for the Mechanically Challenged (0657670304633): Suzy Banks, Richard Heinichen, Tre´ Arenz: Books

Old 04-17-2010, 10:16 AM

50 posts, read 226,437 times
hi all, and tks for the comments. I had already done some homework on this subjject, and am familiar with the sites recommended, and I own a copy of the book cited.

To clarify, I do plan to have buried cistern(s), so need the downspouts with diverters for input, and something to pump it out. Rainwater harvesting is perfectly legal and encouraged in NC, though graywater systems are not. The harvested water will only be used for drip irrigation and car washing, nit for drinking, unless there's a catastrophe. Then, I have all my water purifying supplies, but that is another topic altogether.

suggestions and input always welcome

Old 04-19-2010, 11:30 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
You know, since many people on Hawaii only have catchment systems for all water (drinking, bathing, cleaning, gp) since County water is not availale in large areas, you can try asking a general question on the Hawaii board ablout catchement and I know there are several people who have provided info in the past to these questions. Also, the state of hawaii has lots of information on may of their websites because its so common place.

You can walk into some of their home improvement stores and you can pick up a DIY catchment tank and all the fittings including the First Flush systems right off a shelf. When I was on hawaii the home didn't have county water for almost a year and a half and the company had a catchment system installed. When county water became available, I still used the catchement tank for almost 90% of the needs, the county water was only used when the tank was being cleaned.

I find whenever people are looking for answers or info on alternatve living, going to where it's considered normal and not alternative gets a whole bunch of good ideas. heck there are people on Hawaii who live off grid simply because there is no untility services available, and they live as normal as anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living