Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:34 PM

30,505 posts, read 16,206,257 times

Advertisements

anyone have either of these? or both?

Why did you pick one rather than the other?

Like it? How long have you had it and how much wear does the room it's in get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 12:49 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,062,046 times
My old house (which I am renting out) has bamboo in the main living areas with carpet in the bedrooms and tile in the bathrooms and kitchen. The bamboo is beautiful and seems very durable. It replaced 9-year-old carpet -- even though I vacuumed regularly, with lots of cats I am sure it was pretty yucky.

The tenants have been there almost a year now and really like the bamboo. I would definitely get it again.

This was what I got: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...amboo+flooring

When I remodel the kitchen at my current house, I will definitely consider cork for the flooring, if it can look OK next to the hardwood floor of the dining room next to it. (I think bamboo might look odd next to the dining room's oak floor.)

Old 02-24-2013, 12:56 PM

forgot to ask: did you install it? How easy was it to do it yourself?

I like that! Sort of medium dark.

guess I gotta get my self up to Home Depot.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:13 PM

One of my tenants has a lot of experience in residential construction/improvements and he installed it (for a rent break). Apparently it was pretty easy, even on a slab (no basement at that house -- very odd for New Hampshire). He put down a moisture barrier first -- can't remember all the details but he did what was recommended for installing on a slab.

It really is beautiful but I also bought it for durability after doing lots of research, since that house is likely to be a rental for several years.

It's not sold at all Home Depot stores (you can check inventory at local stores online) -- I had to buy it online although I got free shipping. I was able to return the extras to my local store (kept a box in case of repairs in the future).

Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Default cork and bamboo

Cork and bamboo can be considered renewable resources as cork is the bark of a tree that is harvested without killing the trees. Bamboo is a very fast growing grass that is effectively unkillable once it takes hold. Both are fabricated into flooring in a controlled factory environment. IIRC cork flooring is made from scrap cork from the wine cork industry. Bamboo is continously harvested.

We are considering replacing carpet in the living area with bamboo.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 AM

Why bamboo? Why not cork?

I'm debating between the 2. I know someone who has used cork and she thinks it's great but hasn't used bamboo at all. Seems like users of either are few and far between. sigh

Old 02-26-2013, 07:30 AM

From what I've read, cork is easy on your feet -- which is why I may very well go with that instead of tile when I remodel my current kitchen in a few years.

If I were replacing carpet at my current house, I would buy the bamboo again in a second. The only reason I won't buy it for this house is that many of the floors are hardwood already (oak).

Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Why bamboo? Why not cork?
We have engineered cork planks in the kitchen and bamboo (solid, not engineered) in my husband's office upstairs. I love the cork in the kitchen, but it hasn't held up well - after almost 6 years, I am replacing it this year (haven't decided with what). The bamboo in the office has held up well, even with my husband's chair rolling across the floor. There are a couple dents where there is a softer area, but for an office it is fine.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:39 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,588 times
I've had both. Bamboo looks more like wood (has a grain and takes stain), so it blends in with other hardwoods better or if you prefer that look. Cork looks more like stone tile, and it is easier on your feet and legs if you have to stand a lot (excellent in kitchens!). Cork is also a bit more sound dampening than bamboo, so it's good for large/long "echo" spaces like foyers and hallways.

Both can be found in floating floor planks or tiles, similar to the composite laminate systems. In that case, it's easy to install. It's slightly more difficult for an adhered floor, but no more difficult than hardwood or tile.

Bamboo is also more appropriate if you want to lay a pattern in the floor, like these:

But you can get checkerboard and brick patterns easily with cork.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 02-28-2013 at 03:47 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 04:26 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,043 times
Our home has cork flooring from WE Cork in Exeter, NH and we like the appearance and comfort. It may not be durable enough for high-traffic areas. One thing I remember reading about bamboo is that it tends to fade/discolor in sunlight.
Attached Thumbnails
cork vs bamboo floors-pict0038.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living