U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:00 PM

39,290 posts, read 40,634,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I am a vegetarian & proud lover of carbs!

And I agree with the Captain it's really subsidies that are at issue here -corn is crazy-subsidized, that's why they want to use for fuel even though it takes about 7x as much energy to grow it as you get back.
PBS has a documentary called King Corn, two guys from the city take over a acre and go through the whole process. When all was said and done they lost 19 cents if I remember correctly. After the subsidies they made a few bucks.

As far as the energy that goes into corn for ethanol I've heard some pretty bad numbers like 1:1 but never that high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 11:27 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,427,820 times
Do I really care about the planet?

No. Some of my favorites hobbies and habits are burning tires, burning plastic bottles, pouring car fluids into the sewer, eating about a pound of beef daily, using double paper bags when I shop, and there a few more but these are my weekly ones.

What has the planet done for me lately?

Old 04-23-2010, 12:28 PM

15,574 posts, read 24,932,044 times
no, not really

Old 04-23-2010, 03:33 PM

3,111 posts, read 7,001,528 times
Yes, I care about Earth.

I do not care for pretentious, snooty, psuedo-environmentalists who think they have the answer to world problems, yet if people don't follow their idealistic views, the "others" are somehow responsible for whatever environmental problem is in vogue.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:38 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,725,601 times
I don't care about "the planet" (chunk of rock that she is!) so much as I care about my fellow human beings.

That being said, I am also a long-time vegetarian(for many reasons too long to explain here). I no longer eat animals because it would simply be odd for me to do so.

I also do not expect ~all~ of my fellow Earthlings to give up animal flesh 100%. I do think people could start to make better (and more humane) choices. Raise (and slaughter) your own. That will give you a "connection" to the earth. Buy from local and humane suppliers when possible. Cut your consumption. I understand not wanting to be a "veggie", but really, do you NEED to eat animal flesh every day? For every meal? Probably not. Your heart and your waistline will thank you as well.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:42 PM

5,288 posts, read 7,592,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As far as the energy that goes into corn for ethanol I've heard some pretty bad numbers like 1:1 but never that high.
my bad, I think I'm confusing stats from something else - corn is the least-efficient plant out there, but it's 1:1.3 according to a few sources, including this one, which seems pretty thorough:

Biofuels - National Geographic Magazine

Old 05-02-2010, 12:56 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,617,662 times
Only thing I'm going to add to this discussion that humans are obligate omnivores... we are NOT herbivores Humans cannot assimilate Vitamin B12 from plant sources, it must be animal source or synthetic, and without it we will die of pernicious anemia. Also humans assimilate animal protein *much* more efficiently than plant proteins. We do actually need L-carnitine, found only in animal sources (or synthetic), because we cannot manufacture it ourselves.

Human digestive tracts and metabolisms are designed specifically to eat both plant and animal matter... we cannot survive healthily without both unless we supplement with synthetic nutrients.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:54 AM

5,288 posts, read 7,592,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post

Human digestive tracts and metabolisms are designed specifically to eat both plant and animal matter... we cannot survive healthily without both unless we supplement with synthetic nutrients.
But ironically, the meat most of us eat is chock full of synthetic nutrients at root. How can we survive healthily if the animals we eat are not healthy?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:57 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,617,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
But ironically, the meat most of us eat is chock full of synthetic nutrients at root. How can we survive healthily if the animals we eat are not healthy?
This is quite true of commercial/industrial meat, and in that regard I agree with you. BUT the solution is not to stop eating the meat we need to remain healthy, but to stop eating meat that has been raised in an unhealthy manner, fed chemical-laden food, and pumped full of hormones and antibiotics. Naturally-raised animals fed naturally-grown & species appropriate food are very healthy and very healthy for us to eat.

On the flipside, if a vegetarian is buying their produce from commercial/industrial growers, they're probably getting almost the same amount of unhealthy chemicals and the foodstuffs aren't as nutritious as they could be either.

The fault isn't in the food source, but the way it's being grown and raised. The current commercial/industrial system is not healthy for us or the planet... that's what needs to change, not our basic diet

Old 05-04-2010, 05:21 AM

5,421 posts, read 7,875,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
This is quite true of commercial/industrial meat, and in that regard I agree with you. BUT the solution is not to stop eating the meat we need to remain healthy, but to stop eating meat that has been raised in an unhealthy manner, fed chemical-laden food, and pumped full of hormones and antibiotics. Naturally-raised animals fed naturally-grown & species appropriate food are very healthy and very healthy for us to eat.

On the flipside, if a vegetarian is buying their produce from commercial/industrial growers, they're probably getting almost the same amount of unhealthy chemicals and the foodstuffs aren't as nutritious as they could be either.

The fault isn't in the food source, but the way it's being grown and raised. The current commercial/industrial system is not healthy for us or the planet... that's what needs to change, not our basic diet
I work at a farm/restaurant that works this way, much of the meats and such are raised right at the farm not 50 feet from the restaurant. I'm pretty sure the only time the meat goes anywhere else is when it goes off to the butcher or (for the cattle) onto my ranch where we let my boss graze her cattle in exchange for the occasional freezerful of delicious organic steaks and other treats (organic jellies, bread, cheese, ground meats, etc. it's all quite healthy, really.)

I agree that something needs to be done about the way that we raise animals- if it can't be free-range and grass fed then at least feed it GOOD corn and don't dope it up with hormones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living