U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 12:15 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,635,036 times

Advertisements

This thread has gone waaaaaaay off topic, can we all stop with the finger pointing and name calling? We are all better than that, and this issue is much more important than political leanings.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:23 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,102,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
This thread has gone waaaaaaay off topic, can we all stop with the finger pointing and name calling? We are all better than that, and this issue is much more important than political leanings.
No, we are NOT all better than that.

As always, you have some partisan dolt - who cannot just shut up about his leftist politics - trying to make this into some Republican-bashing occasion.

And, as always, when somebody comes along and calls out a partisan hack liberal for his stupidity, the other liberals will circle the wagons and start hammering on the one voice of reasons.

Back to the oil spill... I have to wonder why all the "geniuses" are absolutely REFUSING to even CONSIDER something that could be cheap and effective, and be done RIGHT NOW.

Hay – the Common-Sense Solution to Oil Spill Clean-up |Triple Pundit

What the heck do they have to lose?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:30 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,740,477 times
I'm calling out all of you who want to turn this into another political snarkfest. Take it to the politics forum where you'll find plenty of people to support both sides.

As for the oil spill, I have no idea where to place the blame, but I think it starts with BP and Halliburton, which was in the process of cementing the well when it blew. Nevertheless, pointing fingers does nothing. And BP boycotts...please! Oh, I know, we'll all start shopping at Exxon now.

You'd have to live in a cave to avoid consuming petroleum products because they're part and parcel of everything that makes a modern life. You can ride a bike to work, but the asphalt under your tires and the helmet on your head are also made from petroleum. Okay, so maybe you'll walk, except the soles of your shoes are also derived from petroleum and so is the plastic bottle of water you're carrying. Even the ink in your pen is made from petroleum, not to mention all the fuel consumed in getting it to the store where you bought it.

We're not going to kick our oil habit any time soon, so the question is how do we clean this mess up, and how do we prevent it from happening again?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:31 PM

5,288 posts, read 7,587,419 times
so omaha, no answers, in other words - you are the biggest hypocrite on this site as far as name-calling and then whining about it.

sorry that the performance of Republican C-in-Cs is something you consider irrelevant, but I consider it plenty relevant, given how they've dominated the oval office for the past 50 years. whatever happened to the buck stops here...

And if Obama doesn't hold BP's feet to the fire, I will not only have no problem watching him get skewered for not having any courage, I'll campaign against him.

The real solutions are revoking the multitude of rights that "corporate persons" have claimed (and had reaffirmed by largely conservative SCOTUS judges) over the decades.

If Republicans are willing to step up and lead an overhaul of our legal system to prevent future such tragedies, more power to 'em. Plenty of do-nothings on both side of the aisle - in fact, the real takeaway message here ought to be that a two-party system is too easily bought and controlled by increasingly out-of-control multibillion dollar companies.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:32 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,635,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

Back to the oil spill... I have to wonder why all the "geniuses" are absolutely REFUSING to even CONSIDER something that could be cheap and effective, and be done RIGHT NOW.

Hay the Common-Sense Solution to Oil Spill Clean-up |Triple Pundit

What the heck do they have to lose?
Its a good idea, but I would bet there is not enough bahia grown here to deal with the oil, soaking up oil is about all that bahia is good for.
The horse and cattle industries here buy an awful lot of timothy and alfalfa imported from up North.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
so omaha, no answers, in other words - you are the biggest hypocrite on this site as far as name-calling and then whining about it.
You've been called out.

And, as usual, rather than dispense with your relentless idiotic anti-Republican tripe, you just jump in with more.

Nice going, Mr Moore.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
We're not going to kick our oil habit any time soon, so the question is how do we clean this mess up, and how do we prevent it from happening again?
Yeah, that would be a political question.

I started this thread - don't you go telling me what's on or off topic here. I've had enough of the people here who do nothing but slam what they don't understand.

And as for the partisan straw man argument, as the name clearly shows, I'm in Chicago - and our Democratic mayor has been an abysmal failure on the recycling front.

The reality is that the people in charge are going to take the heat on issues like this, but given that Obama didn't go and green light this drilling, I don't see how he's on the hook except to make sure BP does everything humanly possible to make it right. That company can be bankrupted if that's what it takes, they clearly are a public menace.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Its a good idea
No, it's not a good idea, it's a pipe dream.

I don't like BP, but I am quite certain if there was an easy and cost-effective way to clean up the oil, they'd be all over it.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You've been called out.
So to repeat myself: what could Obama have done that would have prevented this?

What should he be doing now?

We're all frustrated here. But this on BP's shoulders, they have the equipment and the expertise and the resources, and it's their pipe that burst.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Its a good idea, but I would bet there is not enough bahia grown here to deal with the oil, soaking up oil is about all that bahia is good for.
The horse and cattle industries here buy an awful lot of timothy and alfalfa imported from up North.
I agree PARTLY.

We're talking any & all kinds of grass hay here. Bahia is only one such hay. Bermuda Grass, Bromegrass & Switch Grass are other sources of hay.

They could already have had hundreds of semi-truck loads of this hay down onto the Gulf Coast, loaded it on barges with huge tub grinders, and spread it out over hundreds of miles of coast line. They could have - and should have - been doing this WEEKS AGO.

No, it's not the whole answer. But it sure as heck is better than anything else they're doing - which is basically NOTHING.

More evidence that government and bureaucracy are NOT the answers to life's problems!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living