U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 03:09 PM

146 posts, read 192,433 times

Advertisements

Those are not what ifs, that is a very realistic possibility.

Here is a news article about the spill that you all might be interested in.

Nation & World | Giant oil plumes found in deep waters | Seattle Times Newspaper

Quote:
Scientists studying video of the gushing oil well have tentatively estimated it could be flowing at a rate of 1 million to 3.4 million gallons — or 25,000 to 80,000 barrels — of oil a day. But the government, working from satellite images of the ocean surface, has calculated a flow rate of only 210,000 gallons — or 5,000 barrels — a day.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:22 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,631,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Dang, can't even read stuff on a forum w/out the scare tactic liberal media try'n to scare us. More "what if" BS.
Instead of writing silly stuff like this, why dont you get out of your Midwestern state and get down here and HELP????????
There is plenty to do without trying to blame the media, it aint pretty here......so, why dont you try putting your money where your mouth is?
If there were a disaster of this magnitude in the Midwest, I would be up there trying to help.
Oh wait, I did that already during the Great Mississippi Flood of 1993, I lived in my car for 2 weeks and sandbagged 8 hours a day, 6 days a week.
I suppose some of actually care that we leave the planet better than we found it.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:12 PM

860 posts, read 1,750,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Instead of writing silly stuff like this, why dont you get out of your Midwestern state and get down here and HELP????????
There is plenty to do without trying to blame the media, it aint pretty here......so, why dont you try putting your money where your mouth is?
If there were a disaster of this magnitude in the Midwest, I would be up there trying to help.
Oh wait, I did that already during the Great Mississippi Flood of 1993, I lived in my car for 2 weeks and sandbagged 8 hours a day, 6 days a week.
I suppose some of actually care that we leave the planet better than we found it.

You go girl! I think somebody needs to crawl back into his cave.
And, I am SO sorry for what is happening to you all, just makes me sick.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
You go girl! I think somebody needs to crawl back into his cave.
And, I am SO sorry for what is happening to you all, just makes me sick.
Thank you!
I just get SOOOOOOOOOO sick of folks trying to make this a liberal/conservative thing, not even gonna start about the oil company not taking blame and pointing fingers.
This is going to affect ALL of us, so to try to say it isnt is just plain ignorant.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:02 AM

1,884 posts, read 4,107,606 times
Quote:

Then I guess my friend, who is down there, is wrong. He said it isn't that bad and the media is blow'n it "way out of proportion". If I can, I get my info first hand, not from the scare tactic media. Only way they can stay in business is to scare people into believe'n them. IMHO.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Then I guess my friend, who is down there, is wrong. He said it isn't that bad and the media is blow'n it "way out of proportion". If I can, I get my info first hand, not from the scare tactic media. Only way they can stay in business is to scare people into believe'n them. IMHO.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers.
Well, I'm down here too. Tourism is already taking a nose dive.
Right now on the local news they are reporting that the oil slick has reached the loop current, and that there is a 10 mile long oil plume under the surface of the Gulf.
BTW, responsible news agencies have "fact checkers" so they dont get sued off the face of the earth, I only get my news from sources such as them.
This is going to take quite a while for everything to manifest itself, and many years for the Gulf to recover, so please, dont rush to assume that there is no problem here, and its "just the media."

Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 AM

3,904 posts, read 6,180,257 times
Quote:
Right now on the local news they are reporting that the oil slick has reached the loop current, and that there is a 10 mile long oil plume under the surface of the Gulf.
BTW, responsible news agencies have "fact checkers" so they dont get sued off the face of the earth, I only get my news from sources such as them.
This is going to take quite a while for everything to manifest itself, and many years for the Gulf to recover, so please, dont rush to assume that there is no problem here, and its "just the media."
I totally agree. The proof is in the pudding, I mean water.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:22 PM

1,884 posts, read 4,107,606 times
Quote:

He even said they are get'n more tourists cause of the spill(his opinion). He said there was nothing to see and some were kinda mad. sad.

anyway, thats the info I go by.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
He even said they are get'n more tourists cause of the spill(his opinion). He said there was nothing to see and some were kinda mad. sad.

anyway, thats the info I go by.
According to AAA (my mom works there) travel reservations and hotel reservations are down by 37% (lots of cancellations) since the first news of the oil spill.
You wont see that in any news releases, it was a memo they received from HQ in Tampa.
Florida is ramping up an ad campaign to get the news out that our beaches have not been affected, (yet) but its glaringly obvious how this will have a domino effect on our #1 industry, tourism, and it WILL spill over into all other areas of the already weak economy.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:12 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,798,014 times
There is supposed to be a 'flume' or 'plume' that is difficult to cap--a pipe is now siphoining the oil --like a straw.
There are said to be others. They may have hit a methane leak. Some of the oil has hit the current and is possibly headed for the Keys--serious damage to the ecosystems there. Lack of oxygen in the water already and the dispersants, IIRC, remove more oxygen --this isn't good for the lower level ecosystems--oysters, plankton--and consequently will affect fish, whales and dolphins.
and man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living