Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 01:17 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Maybe where you live. I live in a major metropolitan area where we are advised to not drink the tap water for six months out of the year because of the pollutants and chemicals in it. The chemicals can't be filtered out.
where do you live that the tap water is not safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Tap water is clean. This is the myth spread on the major news sources and every other news media. It is not clean and it is not at times even safe. Any idea how many drugs are flushed, drained, and dumped into every water supply in America? Seriously people. If you are still drinking tap water you are just plain dumbed down.

Yes plastic. I recycle every gallon I use. And I put clean mountain water in my body..........

AADAD last time I checked bottled water does not even need to meet any particular standard or be tested for anything.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Anyone who's ever had to travel for work, especially air travel, knows why plastic bottles are necessary.
I AGREE,

When you go to the airport, I buy bottled water. This is not that frequent for most people though. It's 2x a year for me.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
at home i use filtered water but i travel with my job, thus staying in hotels, which results in buying water in plastic bottles during my stay do i have any other options when i am out on business?
you could get a nalgene bottle filter?

Old 05-21-2010, 01:40 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,045 times
Quote:
Maybe where you live. I live in a major metropolitan area where we are advised to not drink the tap water for six months out of the year because of the pollutants and chemicals in it. The chemicals can't be filtered out.
If that's the case then I apologize for such a wide-sweeping comment. I had just never heard of any place in the US where the drinking water is not safe- I've lived all over the country, and never been in a place with water issues. In fact it's something the US is known for, being one of the few places in the world where tap water is kept up to a clean, safe standard.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,892 times
I don't see a problem with buying ater in plastic bottles if you recycle them. In my state we pay bottle deposit on bottled water and return them with the cans and bottles, to get your money back.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:36 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
AADAD last time I checked bottled water does not even need to meet any particular standard or be tested for anything.
I go with Crystal Geyser to deal with that. Their testing is available and last time I checked people were not dumping their prozac into Mount Shasta.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:37 AM

so you live in alaska and have to, or feel that you have to drink bottled water.

that is sad.

and here i am in nj, surely the most superfunds per land area... and we managed to find some decent water in the ground!!!

Old 05-22-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskimberly View Post
I don't see a problem with buying ater in plastic bottles if you recycle them. In my state we pay bottle deposit on bottled water and return them with the cans and bottles, to get your money back.

the problem is that so much of it does not get recycled, ends up all over the place, including in the ocean, on the street, in the wilderness, etc.

most places in this country do not recycle period.

then there is the fact that it takes energy to transport and recycle the empty plastic, on top of the energy it takes to bottle and deliver the bottled water.

why not instead get a reusable plastic bottle, and just wash it and fill it yourself. its so easy.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:24 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
so you live in alaska and have to, or feel that you have to drink bottled water

that is sad.

and here i am in nj, surely the most superfunds per land area... and we managed to find some decent water in the ground!!!
True enough. I just really prefer the Mount Shasta H20 have for years. Anchorage has "very good quality" water but I know what gets dumped into the water supply simply no way to filter that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living