Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:09 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Public owned where shareholders have highest priority in decisions, or public owned as in traded on the stock market floor where CEO's write their own paycheck?

Something to consider...

YouTube - SUSTAINABLE ENERGY -The Convenient Solution (3)

When we have the ability to have independent generation from multiple sources, we take the monopoly out of monopoly. Competition would be a healthier version than what we've got going on right now.
Here is something from the APPA that may help understand Public Power.
http://www.appanet.org/files/PDFs/PPFactSheet.pdf
I would add that no tax dollars go into a Municipal Utility. They are a seperate entity from the city depts that are powerd by taxes.

I actually work for a Municiapl Utility the is made up of 18 Community Owned Utilities. Together those communities own @ 42% of a 1000MW base load coal plant. 13 of those Communities have distributed power plants powered by large gas/oil fired engines. We use these assets as a hedge against high market cost or when usage outpaces the baseload plant. Most recently we have called on these units to run as back up for our 100MWs of wind power. I might add that due to the large amount of wind production installed on the grid we (like many othe groups in the US) are biulding the first half of a 50MW gas fired engine plant. Note: Natural gas is not a renewable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 03:27 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Default xxx lethal dose cronyism

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Here is something from the APPA that may help understand Public Power.
http://www.appanet.org/files/PDFs/PPFactSheet.pdf
I would add that no tax dollars go into a Municipal Utility. They are a seperate entity from the city depts that are powerd by taxes.

I actually work for a Municiapl Utility the is made up of 18 Community Owned Utilities. Together those communities own @ 42% of a 1000MW base load coal plant. 13 of those Communities have distributed power plants powered by large gas/oil fired engines. We use these assets as a hedge against high market cost or when usage outpaces the baseload plant. Most recently we have called on these units to run as back up for our 100MWs of wind power. I might add that due to the large amount of wind production installed on the grid we (like many othe groups in the US) are biulding the first half of a 50MW gas fired engine plant. Note: Natural gas is not a renewable
My career was in oil, but I have peripheral knowledge of what you're talking about because my company's interests overlapped with the electric company's interests often. We supplied kerosene to the keyspan plant (formerly LILCO) and #2 oil to NY Power authority plant (NYPA). The growth demand on Long Island was so huge they had to expand to NG last decade as well as running traditional modes. Hedging fuel prices is tricky business. Sad to say some of those tricks were perpetrated by my company.

What a shame we didn't have the set up you're working. We had this instead... Long Island Lighting Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It got so bad citizens renamed it "Long Island Larceny Company".
They were making decisions incompatible with other industries and the people they were supposed to be serving. Like this...
Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Which led to this...
Quote:
On February 28, 1989, Cuomo and LILCO announced a plan to decommission the plant, which involved the state taking over the plant and then attaching a 3 percent surcharge to Long Island electric bills for 30 years to pay off the $6 billion price tag... The debacle led to the state takeover of LILCO itself in 1998 as it became the Long Island Power Authority.
Note that LIPA is supposed to be what you are after nearly a decade in federal court trying. They leased the job to Keyspan, and Keyspan has since been bought out by a British company called National grid USA. National Grid plc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Technically they might be listed as people owned, but the price controls are still not within their means. It's also subject to substantial political maneuvering for grace and favor contracts. The politics must be out of it, and stewardship restored as the highest priority. Instead, Long Island has this...

YouTube - National Grid | "Polar Bears"
Is that commercial cute enough to continue paying 24cts/kwh generated by fossil fuels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living