U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:13 AM

2,777 posts, read 7,115,907 times

Advertisements

The problem is that most of us could follow cravings, for , say, sweet, and find mega-sugar chocolate bars in the cupboard. Nature equipped us with inherent tast preferences for the nutritious foods found in scarcity in nature. Nature simply does not provide foodstuffs in the same ratios as depicted in the FDA food pyramid. Simply look at how things grow on their own in various environments. Grains are in large number only in specific fileds and they require a lot of expended energy to gather and prepare. Depending on your climate, fruit are only in season semi-annually. The foods in more readily available quantities are green leafstuffs, nuts, and small game(leaner meats). Large game in naturally lean red meat(not like store-bought) and generally one harvest lasts a period of time.
Some of us have a higher tolerance for dairy foods because we came from a long line of cattle herding peoples. So my personal food pyramid is:
grains
tubers, roots and starchy vegetables
fruits and berries, nuts
dairy and meats
green leafy vegetables, stalks, and vegetable fruit(beans, squash, peppers, etc.

That is my personal guide for healthy living. the occasional soda or candy bar manages to make its way into the list once a week or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 07:14 AM

260 posts, read 501,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
This is nothing more than a religious war. It isn't about diet, it isn't about green, it isn't about what works.

Some people have great shame and feelings of incompetence about the idea that We are the top of the food chain. They think it would be much more tolerable if we only killed carrots and dropping fruit, and a few of use were eaten by lions and tigers.
actually it's about compassion for the unnecessary suffering of other sentient beings.

“We manage to swallow flesh only because we do not think of the cruel and sinful thing that we do. Cruelty... is a fundamental sin, and admits of no arguments or nice distinctions. If only we do not allow our heart to grow callous, it protests against cruelty, is always clearly heard; and yet we go on perpetrating cruelties easily, merrily, all of us—in fact, anyone who does not join in is dubbed a crank.”—Rabindranath Tagore, Nobel Prize 1913

Old 05-14-2010, 07:50 AM

20,391 posts, read 37,710,688 times
Ah, sanctimonious vegan has arrived!

How about the unnecessary suffering of those whose physiology is such that they get sick on a diet that does not include meat? You know, the two-legged animals that one should consider equally compassionately, if it really is all about compassion?

Old 05-14-2010, 07:59 AM

1,719 posts, read 3,713,314 times
Animals are loving, innocent and deserving of gentle treatment.

And they're yummy too!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Ah, sanctimonious vegan has arrived!

How about the unnecessary suffering of those whose physiology is such that they get sick on a diet that does not include meat? You know, the two-legged animals that one should consider equally compassionately, if it really is all about compassion?
how is it sanctimonious to care about the suffering of other living things? btw, no human needs meat to live and be healthy.

“A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite.”—Count Leo Tolstoy

Old 05-14-2010, 08:22 AM

497 posts, read 793,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
actually it's about compassion for the unnecessary suffering of other sentient beings.

“We manage to swallow flesh only because we do not think of the cruel and sinful thing that we do. Cruelty... is a fundamental sin, and admits of no arguments or nice distinctions. If only we do not allow our heart to grow callous, it protests against cruelty, is always clearly heard; and yet we go on perpetrating cruelties easily, merrily, all of us—in fact, anyone who does not join in is dubbed a crank.”—Rabindranath Tagore, Nobel Prize 1913
I don't think anyone here is advocating cruelty. Certainly I do not. Yet I believe that one is capable of eating meat and fish without being some sort of monster. Humans are omnivores; our bodies function most effectively on a varied diet. Sanctimonious veganism is like fundamentalist religions-- go ahead and inflict it on yourself if it makes you feel superior. But don't expect me to buy in to your wacky ideas and don't bother me if my body feels the need for a steak or some sushi.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:30 AM

5,019 posts, read 12,722,327 times
Reading the OP's post, I think this thread belongs under "Health and Wellness".

There are plenty of other threads in the "Green" forum where folks have discussed the pros and cons of meat with regards to the health of the planet, but in this case the OP seems to be focused on the effects of eating meat on the human body.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:32 AM

20,391 posts, read 37,710,688 times
Yes, there's a difference between cruelty and eating meat. Do you consider your dog or cat - or a lion - to be cruel because they eat meat, sometimes while it's still moving? (Hopefully you are not so cruel as to require that a cat become vegetarian, say, as that is animal abuse.)

It also verges on arrogance to decide that every human being will thrive on the same diet that you, yourself, do well on. I do not care if someone else eats a vegetarian, or even vegan, diet, if they remain healthy on it. I have personally given it a good try, on more than one occasion, and have found that it does NOT suit my particular physical make-up and that it makes me sick. So, for someone to insist that I must eat a vegetarian diet in order to satisfy THEIR perception of morality is abuse and the exact opposite of compassion.

By the way, the animals that we raise for our own table, the cattle, live extremely good lives from birth to death, including not only good pasture and the company of their own kind but backrubs, treats, the occasional beer, and all sorts of cosseting. The exact opposite, in fact, of factory farming.

It is possible to avoid cruelty by shopping for your meat locally (if not raising it yourself), so that you can visit and see the conditions under which the animals are raised.

Also, did you know that if an animal is frightened at the time of slaughter, it taints the meat with adrenaline, thus damaging the bottom line?

Old 05-14-2010, 08:50 AM

17,766 posts, read 53,924,030 times
Everything that lives dies. To end such "suffering" we could just kill ALL the cute little furry creatures so they won't have to go through the process. They'll thank us later...

For a food animal, death is often hundreds of times faster and less painful than death for a human. Like I said, this is a religious war. It has nothing to do with anything "green," even though the rabid will jump through hoops to try to prove that it does.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Everything that lives dies. To end such "suffering" we could just kill ALL the cute little furry creatures so they won't have to go through the process. They'll thank us later...

For a food animal, death is often hundreds of times faster and less painful than death for a human. Like I said, this is a religious war. It has nothing to do with anything "green," even though the rabid will jump through hoops to try to prove that it does.
http://www.worldwatch.org/files/pdf/...e%20Change.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living