U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:08 AM

260 posts, read 501,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
I don't think anyone here is advocating cruelty. Certainly I do not. Yet I believe that one is capable of eating meat and fish without being some sort of monster. Humans are omnivores; our bodies function most effectively on a varied diet. Sanctimonious veganism is like fundamentalist religions-- go ahead and inflict it on yourself if it makes you feel superior. But don't expect me to buy in to your wacky ideas and don't bother me if my body feels the need for a steak or some sushi.
once again-it's not about feeling superior to anyone it's about compassion to all sentient beings and not just one's own species. da vinci, pythagoras, edison, einstein & ghandi had the same "wacky" idea's about non-violence too. you might be interested in this btw:

YouTube - Peter Singer - The Genius of Darwin: The Uncut Interviews - Richard Dawkins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 09:37 AM

1,884 posts, read 4,107,865 times
I believe every body is different. Some can handle going weeks w/out meat, some can't. I'm one that can't. Just how my body works. I'm healthy, family is healthy, 99% of the people I truely know are healthy. Must be alright, people have been eating it for quite a while.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:06 AM

20,385 posts, read 37,693,239 times
Peter Singer. PETER SINGER?

""Human babies are not born self-aware, or capable of grasping that they exist over time. They are not persons, therefore the life of a newborn is of less value than the life of a pig, a dog, or a chimpanzee." (Peter Singer, Practical Ethics, 1979)

Among other things. (And I can't view that particular video due to connection issues at the moment.)

Old 05-14-2010, 10:11 AM

36,941 posts, read 45,385,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
It can be very rewarding in its own right IMHO. I'm not simply talking about health benefits (sanctimonious vegan chiming in here).

To the OP: I think it depends on the individual. I hardly ever get sick anymore since I've started eating a vegan diet, and I suspect that my Mexican ancestry has quite a bit to do with it. . . Centuries of living off mostly maize, rice, and beans must have an impact on the way the body makes use of the protein it rceives. My uncle, on the other hand (who incidentally happens to be of mostly Spanish lineage), became sick and anemic when attempting a well thought out vegetarian diet.
I once watched a very interesting PBS show about this. It focused on Native Americans and how they are often doomed to obesity, since their ancestors ate as you describe...grains, berries, etc. and on a modern diet they do badly.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:18 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,294,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just talked to my doctor today, who has heart disease in his family, and he is on a vegan diet...no oil, meat, dairy, eggs or fish. What I want to know is, who wants to live longer if you only eat steamed vegetables and rice?
That's funny. I like Bobby Flay's quote: "Life is too short not to eat salt."

Old 05-14-2010, 10:18 AM

1,884 posts, read 4,107,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I once watched a very interesting PBS show about this. It focused on Native Americans and how they are often doomed to obesity, since their ancestors ate as you describe...grains, berries, etc. and on a modern diet they do badly.

It's not the foods fault, it didn't jump in and force it's way down their throat.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:22 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,866,602 times
Meat! Om nom nom!

Old 05-14-2010, 10:26 AM

25,631 posts, read 30,314,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
how is it sanctimonious to care about the suffering of other living things? btw, no human needs meat to live and be healthy.

“A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite.”—Count Leo Tolstoy
The only reason vegans can survive today is because of the sanctuaries of human existence that we have artificially created. Humans are omnivores. That is why as a species we are successful. Vegans as well as lots of other groups of humans have been allowed to live because of the ability to create temporal barriers from the savage processes of nature. Vegans only exist today because aggressive omnivores have paved the way for their existence. I laughed at the thick irony as I was watching your video post thinking how many hundreds of thousands of animals died so those two "intellectuals" could sit in the high rise surrounded by other high rises and theorize on the levels of cruelty of the natural world. There is no cruelty in the natural world there is only living and dying. Kill or be killed.

I wonder if the coyotes I observed during deer hunting season last year had any thoughts of compassion as they ripped a living struggling screaming wounded yearling deer apart for an afternoon feast. Now that would have made a great background for the above video post instead of the sterile surroundings of society.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 05-14-2010 at 10:39 AM..

Old 05-14-2010, 11:58 AM

6,651 posts, read 18,613,341 times
Certain animals are for human consumtion. A doctor of mine told me it was NOT what I ate but HOW much of what I ate. The body needs a variety and NOT a steady diet of just one thing...all veggies or all meat.

Personally I have tried to go without a meat diet and after a while start to get a headache...will stop in for a Big mac and 20 mins later the headache is gone...also seem to have more energy...whatever it takes I suppose.

Steve

Old 05-14-2010, 12:41 PM

25,631 posts, read 30,314,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Certain animals are for human consumtion. A doctor of mine told me it was NOT what I ate but HOW much of what I ate. The body needs a variety and NOT a steady diet of just one thing...all veggies or all meat.

Personally I have tried to go without a meat diet and after a while start to get a headache...will stop in for a Big mac and 20 mins later the headache is gone...also seem to have more energy...whatever it takes I suppose.

Steve
Take two big Mac's and call me in the morning. Great standup material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living