Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:44 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times

Advertisements

"Our unbridled pursuit of untapped energy is taking us into treacherous new territory."

Gross: The True Costs of 'Tough' Oil - Newsweek

At some point in time mankind will have to wean itself from the teat of easy energy known as "oil".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 06:32 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,758 times
I hate to be a pessimist, but I doubt we'll chang until we hit a point where it's just too expensive to continue. People are resistant to change and generally don't until they have to.

I think though, that environmental degredation or destruction needs to be included in the price. Energy companies need to be held accountable for any remediation from spills etc, for full reclamation of their sites, and punishments with teeth for non-compliance (right now, the fines are so low that companies just budget for them).

Old 06-07-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
I hate to be a pessimist, but I doubt we'll chang until we hit a point where it's just too expensive to continue. People are resistant to change and generally don't until they have to.

I think though, that environmental degredation or destruction needs to be included in the price. Energy companies need to be held accountable for any remediation from spills etc, for full reclamation of their sites, and punishments with teeth for non-compliance (right now, the fines are so low that companies just budget for them).
Don''t you think that "we" are at that point with the Gulf oil tragedy? Yes, I said tragedy 'cause that's exactly what it is.

The worlds desire for oil has now turned into open warfare against the very planet we live on with ocean pollution that is well beyond measure. Well beyond..........

Old 06-07-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Don''t you think that "we" are at that point with the Gulf oil tragedy? Yes, I said tragedy 'cause that's exactly what it is.

The worlds desire for oil has now turned into open warfare against the very planet we live on with ocean pollution that is well beyond measure. Well beyond..........
No, I don't think we are. I don't see this spill driving the price of oil to the point where people will refuse to accept it and begin really pushing for alternatives. It may drive BP under (hopefully it will, as hopefully they'll have to foot the bill for the full reclamation, the cost of which will be astronomical), but that's only one company, and this, despite it's vastness, is just one well's supply lost.

It's not open warfare either. Nobody's actively trying to destroy the planet. They just don't care. Hopefully, this'll be a wake up that we can't cut corners to cut costs and save time. If all companies actually take the time and money to put good drilling practices in place... maybe that'll drive the price up enough to spark a change. I don't know.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:32 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Our demand for more and more will NOT stop until gas hits $5 per gallon, and stays there.

I hate to admit it, and hate even more what it's going to cost us, but it's the truth.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Our demand for more and more will NOT stop until gas hits $5 per gallon, and stays there.

I hate to admit it, and hate even more what it's going to cost us, but it's the truth.
I don't quite agree that price alone will pry cars from American's cold dead fingers.

It's going to take a hard core change to the supply lines of oil like rationing ,or loss of oil supply, to slap those citizens in denial of the facts in front of them to find, or build, other means to get around. There will also be a need to roll back some of the nanny laws that choke off mass transit development.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I don't quite agree that price alone will pry cars from American's cold dead fingers.

It's going to take a hard core change to the supply lines of oil like rationing ,or loss of oil supply, to slap those citizens in denial of the facts in front of them to find, or build, other means to get around. There will also be a need to roll back some of the nanny laws that choke off mass transit development.
Price is the only thing that will change people's minds. You mentioned loss of supply, but that's the same thing. As supply dwindles, prices rise. As people find themselves unable to afford oil, they'll start demanding better mass transit and rationing (so that we have time to adjust).

Old 06-08-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:

Price alone will not do it.

But 2 summers ago, when gas went over $4.00 per gallon, people were parking their Suburbans & Excursions, and buying Kias and Hyundais by the thousands. Gas consumption went down.

When the price of gas dropped back down to less than $2.00 per gallon, people started driving the guzzlers again.

There is no one single motivator as effective as not being able to afford something.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:51 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
everyone is so angry at BP, the contractor, the president, etc.

nobody is blaming themselves and our country and society for ravaging through oil like it is going out of style.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
everyone is so angry at BP, the contractor, the president, etc.

nobody is blaming themselves and our country and society for ravaging through oil like it is going out of style.
You're right. I'm not blaming myself, nor do I feel guilty.

Of course, I'm not ravaging through oil like it's going out of style. I ride my motorcycle every chance I get. If not on that, I'm driving a little VW that gets 30 mpg. My wife works 1/4 mile from our house, and my office is 5 minutes away. We don't travel. So as far as "living green" goes, we're doing what we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living