U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,985 times

Advertisements

My husband found employment in Greensboro and I am a certified Elementary and Middle School English teacher with a master's degree in Reading in New York State. It is nearly impossible for me to find a position here and I am wondering if it is there too. I know there are budget cuts looming and I've applied but haven't heard anything. My husband would take an approx. $15 -20,000 pay cut and I would need to work in order to maintain our current standard of living. Can anyone offer any advice that might help? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 07:19 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
My wife is a teacher--here are a few generalities about the overall employment landscape.

While the market for teachers is tight, there are opportunities for new teachers in this area. Some teachers have been displaced, but at the same time new schools are being built. There is movement all the time--teachers leave the area, they transfer to other schools, they quit working to be a full-time parent, etc.

Keep in mind is that principals generally have all the hiring power. If you are well-qualified and can meet a need, a principal can generally find a way to get you on board, sometimes even if they have no open positions advertised. So it's important to try to contact as many principals and school staff as you can--personal interaction can give you an edge. For the short term, this might mean calling schools to ask for general job hunting advice, and specifically about your particular area of expertise. For the longer term, you can substitute teach or do volunteer work just to get your foot in the door.

In NC, teacher salaries are set at the state level, but each county has the option to supplement the state salaries. Guilford and Forsyth counties have higher supplements than surrounding counties, so the competition is a little more stiff. So you may want to consider applying at schools in the surrounding counties to increase your odds of finding something.

Good luck with your search!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,985 times
Thanks so much for the detailed reply! It was very helpful and helped to confirm the impression I have on the issue from up here.

Two questions I have:

-What other districts are around that area that I could appy to (my husband will be working at Guilford College) to increase my odds?

-Is it hard to find sub jobs?

We are looking into Reagan High or Northwest High for our daughter and will be eventually living in one of those areas.

Thanks again for your time and assistance. We really appreciate it!

Old 06-13-2010, 11:19 AM

274 posts, read 324,137 times
I can't speak for the teaching field, but I am a Librarian, and right before the economy crashed I was searching for a job in the Piedmont area. I stopped even considering Forsyth at all. On a number of occasions, I saw a jobs posted in Forsyth on, say, a Wednesday, with a closing date two days later! What this told me was that they probably had chosen someone already, and posted the notice to simply comply with HR regs. This seemed to be confirmed when I called about a position the day after it was posted, and was told it was already filled! Now, considering that applications would need to re reviewed and interviews conducted, etc. I see absolutely no way that a position could be "filled" in a single day unless a decision had already been made and they were just going through the motions, so to speak. (I now work for another county in NC, so I'm familiar with county government.)
This squares with what the other poster said about principals being able to get you in even if there is no job posting. Looks like the "old boy" network is their primary mode of hiring. In contrast, in Rowan county hiring procedures seemed to be in line with what I've experiences elsewhere, and they seemed to give just as much consideration to outside candidates as inside.
I'm not sure what the ramifications are for you. Perhaps as the other poster mentioned, just smooze with the administrators. I have a cousin who is a principal in Davie. Just out of curiosity I may ask him for his take on the matter.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:56 PM

676 posts, read 2,801,846 times
My spouse got a job across the country in the Forsyth county district 4 years ago and I know he emailed his resume to the principals of the schools directly. I also don't know if "Looks like the "old boy" network is their primary mode of hiring" is completely true. I have a feeling it is more of a situation where a teacher is retiring/transferring and the principal shuffles people around to fill the position internally, so he/she doesn't have to let someone go or lose the really good teachers. I know this year the budget is extremely tight and teachers were put in a "surplus" pool who had the least amount of experience and then the district places them in other schools with openings. My spouse is well respected, so the principal made sure there was an open position made available for the following school year. The budget cuts make it a situation where highly qualified, already employed in the district teachers have priority over a new hire. However, it is not a completely grim time for you to try to find a job. By mid to end summer some schools may be getting desperate to find a teacher and you may be able to find your opening in then. The odds are highly likely you will start off in a lower performing school and then after 2 years you have a chance to transfer. You may want to go on NC school report card website and find the lowest performing schools and directly email your resume to the principals. Those schools always have the highest number of new hires, college hires and non-cred teachers.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:58 PM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
enightenme, I completely agree...it's not really a "good old boy network" situation, but rather principals try to find the most qualified people in a profession that has its fair share of bad apples. No offense to you teachers out there, but there are an awful lot of teachers who aren't effective in one or more aspects of their job. Good ones are hard to find, and it's a big gamble for a principal to hire someone they don't know much about.

To the OP, the immediate surrounding counties are Yadkin, Davie, Davidson, Randolph, Alamance, Rockingham, Stokes and Surry.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
My spouse got a job across the country in the Forsyth county district 4 years ago and I know he emailed his resume to the principals of the schools directly. I also don't know if "Looks like the "old boy" network is their primary mode of hiring" is completely true. I have a feeling it is more of a situation where a teacher is retiring/transferring and the principal shuffles people around to fill the position internally, so he/she doesn't have to let someone go or lose the really good teachers. I know this year the budget is extremely tight and teachers were put in a "surplus" pool who had the least amount of experience and then the district places them in other schools with openings. My spouse is well respected, so the principal made sure there was an open position made available for the following school year. The budget cuts make it a situation where highly qualified, already employed in the district teachers have priority over a new hire.
But filling a position internally is done before posting it publicly. if a Principal is shuffling people around to fill it, why in the world are they advertising it to the general public? Like I said, they have someone picked out and are just advertising to comply with HR regs. This is misleading at best.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:36 PM

676 posts, read 2,801,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelnikov View Post
But filling a position internally is done before posting it publicly. if a Principal is shuffling people around to fill it, why in the world are they advertising it to the general public? Like I said, they have someone picked out and are just advertising to comply with HR regs. This is misleading at best.
Unfortunately, this is how it is in most fields. I have worked in HR for different large companies and the majority of the time a hiring manager has someone in mind he/she would like to promote internally, but has to first post the job and do a few token interviews. It really isn't fair, but just the way it is a lot of the time.
My spouse had an interview lined up for another school in the area and was told by a co-worker they are looking for an African American female, so don't expect the job. At a recent interview for a school in another state they said "we love you, but we want to hire someone local, so you are our second choice. It stinks when you are the one trying to find a job from the outside, but affirmative action, nepotism, internal promotions, local residents, etc. are often what you are up against when job searching.

Last edited by enlightenme; 06-13-2010 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-13-2010, 09:43 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,169,532 times
Check out Guilford County's site right now! I'm not from the area, but I was just curious as to what else is out there in NC, and they've got 3 pages worth of vacancies. Some of them are much older than others, so I'm not sure what that's about. But I guess one could assume that if the position is still posted, there's either a hiring freeze or the right candidate has not been found yet.

I second the thought of emailing the principal directly. In some districts, this is looked down upon badly, but I know a few people who have applied to work in large districts, such as Charlotte-Meck, and they're competing with hundreds of candidates...it's very easy to get overlooked in the huge pile of applications. Sometimes, to get what you want, you have to take a risk like that. Only thing someone can tell you to do is "Please don't email principals directly". Also, don't forget about private schools and charter schools. Good luck!

Old 06-14-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
Unfortunately, this is how it is in most fields. I have worked in HR for different large companies and the majority of the time a hiring manager has someone in mind he/she would like to promote internally, but has to first post the job and do a few token interviews. It really isn't fair, but just the way it is a lot of the time.
My spouse had an interview lined up for another school in the area and was told by a co-worker they are looking for an African American female, so don't expect the job. At a recent interview for a school in another state they said "we love you, but we want to hire someone local, so you are our second choice. It stinks when you are the one trying to find a job from the outside, but affirmative action, nepotism, internal promotions, local residents, etc. are often what you are up against when job searching.
I have worked for County govt for over 20 years, and in every one, once a vacancy is posted to the public with a closing date, they still have to go through the process of accepting applications and interviewing even if they have someone in mind. I've never even heard of anyone simply shutting down the process the next day because they find that special someone. I think that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
I just hired someone for our county facility, and there was a candiate I preferred, but I would not have been allowed to just close the applications that day and refuse to accept any more! I had to wait until the posted closing date, review the applications, schedule interviews, etc.
I have indeed been to a number of interviews in NC where it was clear that someone else had already been chosen. But at least you got to interview....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point