U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-15-2010, 08:55 AM

8 posts, read 12,595 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I am relocating next year to Greensboro for Grad School (UNC) from Athens, Ga. I am used to stuff like health food stores and walking my kids to school. Any tips for someone like me in terms of where to live? As far as public elementary schools go, I'm pretty used to tough ones (Athens-Clarke is apparently one of the poorest counties in the country) but we are currently at one of the better elementary schools available and would like an easy transition. Is there a neighborhood like this I can look for?

As far as nightlife and all that, I'm not so worried about that. I'm recently single but will be taking care of my kids and studying! Also, an apt is probably best, if you know of a good complex. I think the lure of a swimming pool will help the kids get used to a new place !

Thanks!! I have been in Ath 15 years, so this is a tough transition and I can use all the help I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 10:05 AM

620 posts, read 1,333,832 times
Lindley Park neighborhood would be good. Walking distance to Lindley elementary school.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:43 PM

525 posts, read 1,392,268 times
If you check out the Magnet School program in Guilford County, one of these might be an option for you and that would increase your options for different neighborhoods.

GCS Online (http://www.gcsnc.com/magnet/index.htm - broken link)

And I concur- lindley is nice.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:12 AM

6 posts, read 7,816 times
Hello!
I too was in your exact position one year ago, as I was a single mom with a 9 year old relocating from Ohio to Greensoboro to attend North Carolina A&T for grad school. So I have some first hand information for you. I agree with the first two posts, the Lindley Park area is nice because you will not be too far from UNC-G and it also is close to elementary schools. I am actually near Lindley Park area. I live in the Sedgefield section of Greensboro which is nice because I am just right off one of the main roads (High Point Road) and I am also near the bus line, in case I were to ever have to use it. I love my apartment which is through Pickering Managment (you can google them for their website) but my only complaint is there are no children for my daughter to play with. Now, with being near Lindley Park, as far as grocery stores and things I will admit there aren't very many choices. You definetly need transportation in order to get around Greensboro because places like farmer's market aren't necessarily a hop skip and a jump away. I think you will find the housing affordable in Greensboro. I am not a fan of the apartments near Randleman Road, and I'm saying that from a single mom/woman's standpoint. You also want to make sure you go with places in Greensboro, as Burlington and High Point are near, but they are not as close to UNC-G as some of the apartment advertising makes it to be. As far as the schools go, I am still filling them out. My daughter attends Sedgefield Elementary and it was a bit culture shock for me, because we came from an affluent district in Cincinnati. But socially, my daughter really flourished, which had been a problem for her before. I haven't heard anything really terrible about their school systems, but what I would suggest is as you are looking at apartments and narrowing it down, to go to the Guilford County schools website and there you will find information and stats on all the schools in Greensboro. This is also what I did and was a contributing factor as to where I moved. I hope I've been helpful and I wish you the best in your search!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:53 AM
JAS

494 posts, read 1,196,325 times
Just asking the obvious question -- by "UNC", do you mean UNC in Chapel Hill, or UNC-Greensboro? The name "UNC" generally describes Chapel Hill, and Greensboro usually goes by "UNCG" or "UNC-Greensboro".

If you are attending school in Chapel Hill, I would look for something in Chapel Hill or the surrounding area.

If you're attending UNCG, I would consider the north Battleground area near the Guilford Courthouse Park. There are some apartments/townhouses up that way, and I always liked that area when I lived there. The commute to UNCG wouldn't be too bad from that area. There are also some rentals on west Friendly Ave or off Bryan Blvd near the airport that would be an easy commute to UNCG.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:09 AM

525 posts, read 1,392,268 times
Guilford County Schools Website has a school locator- just punch in the address. You can find it here- Parents Portal (http://www.gcsnc.com/parents.htm - broken link)

There are so many places to rent in Greensboro- I'm sure you can find something that works for you so try to find one in a good school area. Good luck!

Old 07-27-2010, 05:44 PM

8 posts, read 12,595 times
Thanks for all of the info!!

Not to be snarky, but when I wrote I was moving to "Greensboro to go to grad school (UNC)", I thought the word, "Greensboro" sort of indicated that was where I was attending school..so yes, UNC-G. Thanks guys!! I'll take all of this advice with me on my journey : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point